It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calm down people - the DC quake is not the end of the world.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Figures that people here on ATS would start slamming down HAARP and Elenin theories right away in regarding the cause of the Virginia quake.

There are faults everywhere in the United States, yes that's including the East Coast. They are everywhere and can trigger an earthquake at any given time - it's nature. I tried giving a humorous post to calm people down, since the majority of the affected people have not experienced one before. Seeing that my post is getting shoved out the way at an incredible speed, I figured that I just create a new thread.

I was born and raised in Los Angeles, and I've experienced numerous earthquakes including the North Ridge earth quake in 1994. Like I said, these things happen - even in uncommon places. If us humans lived for tens of thousands of years (God forbid), we would experience these "uncommon earthquakes" more frequently so to speak.

To give people a better visual of what the east coast fault lines look like - take look at this report made in 2010.

MSNBC Report of similar San Andreas fault line on the east coast.

Oh would you look at that, straight through Virgina!

Best thing I've heard yet, is that Ron Paul finally exploded and caused this earthquake

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
In all fairness, you wouldn't know for sure if it was the start to the "end of the world" even if it were.... Would you?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Hehe don't waste your time trying to calm people down from posting after an earthquake. I've tried and it's not possible. It's alot more fun to roll with it and play along in the doomsday scenarios.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
In all fairness, you wouldn't know for sure if it was the start to the "end of the world" even if it were.... Would you?

No you're right, but I think I would be more concerned if several Chile-like earthquakes struck at the same time. I doubt this earthquake in Virgina is the end times.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clisen33

Originally posted by Helious

No you're right, but I think I would be more concerned if several Chile-like earthquakes struck at the same time. I doubt this earthquake in Virgina is the end times.

Everyone knows in the event something like that happened, there will STILL be someone saying it ISN'T the end of the world. They'll be saying that even if the whole world around them burns in fire.

But, of course, no one knows what the future holds. It can all end tomorrow and we wouldn't know for sure until the last second.
edit on 23-8-2011 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Reply to post by Clisen33

Your wasting your breath, op. Anything like this had to have been caused by some secret string pulling cabal that wants to remain hidden.

Yes, this quake, although rare, is 100% normal. But its location and timing means the ignorant tin foil hat wearing conspiracy folks are going to be falling all over themselves to blame it on their favorite flavor of the month.

The reason real conspiracies can exist is because the groups most interested in them are filled with ignorance.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Clisen33

Wait a minute. I must be in the wrong place and on the wrong website. I thought ATS was all about talking about these subjects. heck, I came here before I went to a MSM website.

Okay, my bad. Excited discussions regarding (literally) earth changing events are... where? Down the street?

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
You have to admit it's strange!!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

You make a good point and I appreciate you trying to bring calm and humor to us here in the East Coast. However I don't know if you can calm down all of us in the various parts of the world not used to earthquakes now getting large noticeable ones for the first time in our lifetimes. I just experienced the East Coast quake with my daughter and I'm still shaking from it. It was way scarier than the last one we had last summer.

It IS unusual, at least in the span of one human lifetime, to be getting all the unusual weather around the world, large scale animal die offs, and to get earthquakes in "diverse" places not used to getting them and have this all happen in a very concentrated span of time. I wouldn't say it's the end of the world but it seems to be the beginning of very interesting times, to say the least.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
You're absolutely right, the hurricane will clean up the rest.

The earthquake was like that alcohol pad you get before receiving a shot.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MainLineThis
Reply to post by Clisen33

Your wasting your breath, op. Anything like this had to have been caused by some secret string pulling cabal that wants to remain hidden.

Yes, this quake, although rare, is 100% normal. But its location and timing means the ignorant tin foil hat wearing conspiracy folks are going to be falling all over themselves to blame it on their favorite flavor of the month.

The reason real conspiracies can exist is because the groups most interested in them are filled with ignorance.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Quite a few things that are rare have been happening lately geologically and atmospherically the last year, funny, just coincidence I guess.

You may also wish to not label people or groups with such careless generalizations lest you yourself be labeled ignorant.

link   
End of the world probably not... but it IS the largest earthquake in VA's history. The next largest one (5.8) happened 114yrs ago. So you can't deny its significance.

link   

Originally posted by redoubt

Wait a minute. I must be in the wrong place and on the wrong website. I thought ATS was all about talking about these subjects. heck, I came here before I went to a MSM website.

Okay, my bad. Excited discussions regarding (literally) earth changing events are... where? Down the street?

Thanks!

ATS is a place for conspiracy topics, 100% correct about that but that doesn't mean all common sense and logic should be thrown out the window in every single event that gets posted here (Which it seems it does).

link   

It figures? Ummm... welcome to a conspiracy website! So yes, of course, it figures. DUH

edit on 23-8-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clisen33

Originally posted by redoubt

Thanks!

ATS is a place for conspiracy topics, 100% correct about that but that doesn't mean all common sense and logic should be thrown out the window in every single event that gets posted here (Which it seems it does).

Actually, it means that this is EXACTLY the place to yank your hair out and run screaming into the street, shouting your concerns... for if not here, where?

It has always struck me that if there were no people who followed UFOs and conspiracy theories, skeptics and gripers would be left with nothing else to write about.

It's your call but... give folks a break and when you need one, they may return the favor

edit on 23-8-2011 by redoubt because: typo

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
End of the world probably not... but it IS the largest earthquake in VA's history. The next largest one (5.8) happened 114yrs ago. So you can't deny its significance.

Yes it is significant, but it obviously has happened before right? If we start seeing multiple quakes like this in the next few weeks/months then yes I would start to be concerned. I'm just flabbergasted by the sheer amount of Elenin, HAARP, and a plethora amount of conspiracy theories being slammed down on the table.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
well, to be fair, you had a shallow quake in CO that was the largest in 40yrs followed by a shallow quake in VA the largest in 114yrs. So if you want to calculate the statistical probability of that you'll come to some strange and unsettling conclusions.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

It figures? Ummm... welcome to a conspiracy website! So yes, of course, it figures. DUH

edit on 23-8-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

I've been coming to ATS since 2004, you don't need to lecture me about this great website. What I'm trying to do is show that earthquakes are not specific to one region on this planet. Is that such a bad thing?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Colorado has their largest EQ in 40 years today.

Virginia has their largest EQ in 114 years today.

Two states in one day? Not normal.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
And let me add that the CO and VA quakes were on almost the exact same lattitude. What are the odds of that?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join