It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chavez Victory: Defeat for Bush Policy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
The Bushies must not be too happy in the wake of their BeneZwayla defeat.
You'd think, as much as they like to howl about how much they're for Democracy, they'd be applauding what took place down there recently. It was incredible. 95% of eligible voters went to the polls and cast their votes. That is INCREDIBLE! What in the world would it take to move that kind of turn-out here? It'd be great if we could get even HALF that number. I say, MUCHO congratulations President HUGO, hero of the little guy! Vive le Venezuela!

Chavez Victory: Defeat for Bush Policy
By Marjorie Cohn
t r u t h o u t | Perspective

Friday 20 August 2004

The Bush administration is gritting its collective teeth at the outcome of Sunday�s recall election in Venezuela, which overwhelmingly affirmed President Hugo Chavez�s tenure. If President Jimmy Carter had not lent his enormous credibility to the election results, Bush and his minions would surely be crying foul in unison with the opposition.

Chavez was popularly elected by his countrymen and women in 1998 and 2000. Yet in spite of Bush�s claims to support democracy around the world, his administration has given succor those trying to overthrow Chavez�s government before, during and since the aborted coup in April 2002.

Officials at the Organization of American States affirmed that the Bush administration had sanctioned the coup. Bush�s then-Assistant Secretary of State for the Western Hemisphere, Otto Reich, met with leaders of the coup for months before it was executed. Elliot Abrams, one of the neoconservative policymakers in Bush�s inner circle, approved the coup, according to the London Observer. And John Negroponte, now our ambassador to Iraq, was in on it, too.
www.truthout.org...

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It's good to see democracy prevail in spite of outside intervention.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It's amazing, isn't it? Chavez has been through a lot. His people OBVIOUSLY like him. BushCo. needs to get that through their heads and leave him alone already.

How stupid is this anyway? They are the world's fifth largest oil reserve and a major supplier to the U.S. One would think, especially in light of their DEMOCRACY, we'd be doing everything we could to have friendly relations w/Chavez. But NOOOO! Not with BushCo! They can't stand having to pay taxes, especially knowing that Chavez is using the money to take care of his poor. I think his plan sounds great (for his country) and is very compassionate.

I love the comment he made about Bush:

Critical of the Bush administration�s covert activity against him and Fidel Castro, Chavez maintains: �They are also manipulating the U.S. people because there is a dictatorship in the United States.�

Sad, but true.
BushCo. has nothing but contempt for the democratic process. Aye Carumba! This cabal has GOT to go come November!

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
ECK,
Why do you kid your self by claiming to be an "independant," you are so much a democrate that it just stands out and shouts. You obviously hate all things about republicans and your claim of hypocracy is funny. especially if you consider that ALL politicians are hypocrites.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
That's not true. My problem is with BushCo. and all those congresscritters that are his yesmen, be they Democrat or Republican. For the record, I'm a Republican. Just because I'm a Republican, though, does not mean I will buy in to brainless groupthink.

Do you have anything to say on BushCo's miserable attempt at subverting Venezuelan Democracy?

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
For the record, I'm a Republican?

I love it when you lay it to them ECK, great everytime

Good thread, wish more people could see how ironic it is when Bush and his administration talk about 'freedom' and 'democracy' .

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I too wish more people could see the sheer hypocrisy. I figured out a long time ago, that when BushCo. say things, the opposite is usually the truth. You ever noticed that? It's creepy and reminds me of Hitler & Goebbels' tactics.

top topics

join