It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moderate Quakes Striking Odd Places in USA...Coincidence Or Not? Let's Find Out.

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

You know, I hadn't thought of that. I would have to go back and look back through them, but I DID notice what may have been a pattern. (Tell-tale sign that it may not be natural)

Also, I failed to mention that Puterman took a look at it over on the quake thread and made a sound recording of it. Very cool.

Find the link here

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mikeybiznaz

First I do not not think that the mods would be in the least bit interested, and the comment, in it's altered form is, how can I put it without causing offence, somewhat immature.

You put forward a theory which is of interest to me and I asked you prove your point. I suppose I am basically just a crochety old man but I do at least try and preface my comment with "In my opinion" or to say why I think someone is wrong. If you believe HAARP I am interested in why and whether you can prove it. That is not unreasonable.

I will stand on Nobody knows when earthquakes will happen and cannot predict where!!! Get to the bottom of that one and you surely wont have time to hang out on ATS giving even lowly me a bad time

You are right - on both counts - and I am working on it!!

As to making a critique of your posts in the thread it is not really my place to do so. All I am saying is that the confrontational approach does not always work, but I also admit I am guilty of this at times.

www.abovetopsecret.com... Mm not really any point.
www.abovetopsecret.com... Possibly, but where is the evidence.
www.abovetopsecret.com... Is it rational? I am not saying it is not but your statement is bland and has no supporting evidence.
www.abovetopsecret.com... Strange this one as you are knocking the theory you later cite. Sounds like argument for it's own sake.
www.abovetopsecret.com... You are probably right but some mention of the theory of decreasing residual strain on the fault would have given your argument more punch, and you could also counter your own argument with the broken piece of continental plate believed to be sinking under the NMSZ

I won't carry on.

You can I hope see that I am not saying you are wrong**, but that the manner of stating your case possibly needs address. If you want to continue being confrontational please do so, but at least back up your words with facts or thoughts that are reasoned and reasonable.

There is no "All hale (sic)" due to Puterman. I am simply another member on the thread asking questions and looking for answers. Stars and bars really only mean I have been here longer than some.

** There probably is no reason to worry about the events, and in that i will agree with you.Others however are unsure and don't know about these things and need to have things explained to allay their fears. It is human nature to be afraid of the unknown. It is silly to simply put on a brave face. It is sensible to be aware and to try and make those who want to listen aware.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

beliefs do not constitute reality.
sometimes an earthquake is just an earthquake.
nuff said

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Found this video on No link news about gas and oil companies fracking and injecting in Ca.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
More small quakes today.

OK had a 2.9
Fayette, AL 2.1
West Virginia a 3.1
MAP 1.8 2011/08/31 15:01:54 37.953 -77.977 3.6 8 km ( 5 mi) SSE of Louisa, VA
MAP 2.1 2011/08/31 13:44:10 37.922 -77.882 0.7 10 km ( 6 mi) SSE of Mineral, VA

Plus several in the west.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Another 3.4 in Va ! I thought the aftershocks got less intenese as time goes by. Building back up maybe?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Yup......keeping an eye on those continuous 'blue' squares.

USGS quake map of states

I noticed last night Utah had a 3.5 in the middle of their state...only to be dropped down to a 1.6! I have rarely ever seen a quake size reduced so much.

Anyways, yes. There continues to be odd little quakes in areas we don't typically see them, or at least not this often. Some could argue the Virginia quakes are just continued after-shocks, but what about all the others?

I think they all indicate the increasing stress being displaced (just my un-educated opinion
)

I mentioned to watch Oklahoma a couple of times....and yes, they had a small, insignificant quake, but I say to continue watching.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Interesting actual news report of smoke rising from Santa Barbara (Hope Ranch) California area - NO NOT DUTCH - an actual MSM news report, complete with reporter and video. Apparently there's been a precedent for it before, and nobody seems too worried, but I thought it was interesting.

Not my thread, but linked here if it is of interest to anyone:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 9/1/2011 by Open2Truth because: punctuation mishap

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I would love to see the report but I am getting a blank page.Anyone else having problems? I guess I could try the not so great search feature.

You guys are great keep up the great teaching!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
Yup......keeping an eye on those continuous 'blue' squares.

USGS quake map of states

I noticed last night Utah had a 3.5 in the middle of their state...only to be dropped down to a 1.6! I have rarely ever seen a quake size reduced so much.

Anyways, yes. There continues to be odd little quakes in areas we don't typically see them, or at least not this often. Some could argue the Virginia quakes are just continued after-shocks, but what about all the others?

I think they all indicate the increasing stress being displaced (just my un-educated opinion
)

I mentioned to watch Oklahoma a couple of times....and yes, they had a small, insignificant quake, but I say to continue watching.

WC... did you happen to notice where (roughly) the quake was here in Utah? Also, roughly what time it happened?

I'm shocked (yet not really) that they would downgrade so much. However... considering the USGS has deleted actual quakes that have happened here, I am not surprised. I have no idea how they can delete earthquakes AFTER all 4 of our major news stations have done news stories on these quakes.

I guess thousands of people feeling them means nothing. A figment of one giant imagination?!?!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Let me try again - my link wasn't working but the thread seems to be fine.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Ha...I'm behind today.

I was just reading about this and did some sleuthing:

here is the youtube report, taken from the thread you posted:

It is quite near the 4.2 quake they just had in Cali. I am going to write more about it on my putting it all together thread...a bit more pertinent there, I think!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by UtahRosebud

Ofcourse!

It was downgraded to this quake:

Magnitude 1.6

Date-Time

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 at 18:16:28 UTC
Wednesday, August 31, 2011 at 12:16:28 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

39.007°N, 111.371°W

Depth 10 km (6.2 miles)

Region UTAH

Distances

14 km (9 miles) NW (312°) from Emery, UT
23 km (14 miles) WSW (246°) from Ferron, UT
27 km (17 miles) WSW (239°) from Clawson, UT
43 km (27 miles) E (81°) from Salina, UT
140 km (87 miles) S (170°) from Provo, UT
199 km (124 miles) SSE (167°) from Salt Lake City, UT

Location Uncertainty

horizontal +/- 0.5 km (0.3 miles); depth +/- 3.6 km (2.2 miles)

Parameters

Nph= 11, Dmin=25.6 km, Rmss=0.1 sec, Gp= 94°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=2

Source

University of Utah Seismograph Stations

Event ID

uu08311816

source

Looks like there have been a few more since:

MAP

Then ofcourse the 4.2 and more shocks ne LA

Cali map

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Well as you well know, CA does have a lot of earthquakes and the smoking hill has been smoking on and off since 2006. The 4.2 we just had did not seem like much of anything. Cetainly not out of the norm. Every year we get quakes in this range somewhere in LA county and the valley is one of the more common locations.
But if you find some strange correlation I'll read it.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Thanks, WC - I didn't want to derail your thread, but I do admit to being very curious about this - will be interested in hearing more later!!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Thank you, my friend!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee

Well as you well know, CA does have a lot of earthquakes and the smoking hill has been smoking on and off since 2006. The 4.2 we just had did not seem like much of anything. Cetainly not out of the norm. Every year we get quakes in this range somewhere in LA county and the valley is one of the more common locations.
But if you find some strange correlation I'll read it.

I totally agree with you....and it is always a good reminder for me to not try and read too much into things. It is VERY easy to do.

It is just that when I see all these correlations fitting together in a bigger picture...I take notice. Hopefully it is just as you say...and all the norm!!!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

LA is .......active as of now. Hopefully will not be a bigger one to come.

Did you pick this one up West Coast?? If so....I wanna see.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Ha...ofcourse I wasn't monitoring. I haven't been home much today.

I will pull some stations up tonight when I have time. Football season has started so I will be busier.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Sorry WC if this is throwing the topic a little but I have a quick question.

Is the fact that BIG eq's are hitting Vanuatu over and over strange. I figured it was getting some aftershocks after the last 7.0 but now another 7.0 (or two on the live earthquake map) today in the general area of the last. Strange??

Ya know, still learning so any info in an area that I know is a little south of what you usually look at would be helpful. I had a daydream about a fault reaching from Alaska to Vanuatu and it splitting wide open. I gotta sleep better at night I guess.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join