It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Moderate Quakes Striking Odd Places in USA...Coincidence Or Not? Let's Find Out.

page: 14
74
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Why when there is an earthquake almost anywhere in the world the HHARP threads start. Was this and Colorado one of your famous HHARP quakes, and if so, too what end?




posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeybiznaz
 

Looking at the geological maps of the area, done by the experts, there is no faults in the areas that the earthquakes were presented. There are 2 conclusions, one is that a new fault is opening up, or it is a deep fault as they have discovered out in the California. Looking at the USGS maps, the faults are clearly marked in areas that have a lot of earthquakes, the question is where are the faults in the areas that these 2 happened, as they are not marked.



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast
 


Fracking! rt.com...



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig
 


Hi there! I believe what he was referring to were a couple of USGS articles that ATS members found regarding the regions where these two quakes hit. While not marked on their main map, there is in fact a seismic zone in Virginia in the area that the quake hit. It is assumed this is where the quake originated from. (a slip-fault I believe)

In Colorado, although again not on the main USGS quake map, there was an article that originated from another small swarm from back in 2001 that proposed there may be a small fault in that area. Again, it is assumed the Colorado quake came from this suspected fault.

Bottom line...not much is known about these regions and both quakes are rare,( historically speaking)



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
reply to post by mikeybiznaz
 

Looking at the geological maps of the area, done by the experts, there is no faults in the areas that the earthquakes were presented. There are 2 conclusions, one is that a new fault is opening up, or it is a deep fault as they have discovered out in the California. Looking at the USGS maps, the faults are clearly marked in areas that have a lot of earthquakes, the question is where are the faults in the areas that these 2 happened, as they are not marked.


August 23, 2011 – COLORADO – Southern Colorado was rattled by a magnitude 4.6 earthquake Monday evening near Trinidad. That quake was overshadowed by a much stronger 5.3 magnitude earthquake which struck near the same region. A string of aftershocks followed. The same area had been struck by a gentler temblor earlier in the morning. According to the US Geological Survey, the 4.6 quake occurred at 5:30pm and was centered 16 miles west southwest of Trinidad or 20 miles west northwest of Raton, New Mexico. The quake occurred at a relatively shallow depth of 5.0 miles. Initial reports show the quake was felt in Trinidad and as far north as La Veta and Aguilar. To the south in New Mexico, Raton felt the shaking as well as Springer and Questa. This morning, a magnitude 2.9 quake struck the same area at 7:52am. This also follows a magnitude 2.8 temblor in March. Other quakes up to magnitude 4.1 have been recorded in January 2010 as well as a series of quakes in the area in August 2009. The earthquake’s epicenter was 299 km (185 miles) S of DENVER, Colorado. –The Examiner – Seismicity activity in the Sangre de Cristos Mountains: The Sangre de Cristos are fault block mountains with major fault lines running along both the east and west sides of the mountains. In places, there are also fault lines cutting right through the mountain chain. The mountains were pushed up about 27 million years ago, pretty much as one big chunk of rock. On the west side is the San Luis Valley with the Rio Grande Rift Zone running down the middle. On the southeast side is the Raton Basin with a quiet but still active volcano field. On the northeast side are the Wet Mountains and the Front Range, areas of pre-Cambrian rock raised up during the Colorado Orogeny some 1.7 billion years ago. The Blanca Massif is also pre-Cambrian rock while the main body of the Sangres themselves is composed of Permian-Pennsylvanian rock and a mix of igneous intrusions, conglomerates and shale that is only about 250 million years old.

edit on 24-8-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: sorry I hit the wrong button



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast
 


Read this article; rt.com...

"Hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking,” is the man-made splintering of underground rocks to expedite the exploiting of natural resources. It’s become a widespread phenomenon since its introduction in 2004, and though the practice can help increase supplies of oil and gas without reaching out internationally for imports, the result it can have on the geological make-up of the Earth can be ravaging. Now some experts say the rise in fracking could be to blame for yesterday’s quake."



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Fun Facts & More

I live relatively close to the epicenter of the Virginia Earthquake. When the quake occurred I was asleep. Once I lay down to go to sleep, it's really hard to get me to get up until I've completed a full sleep cycle. When the earthquake happened, I awoke to a noise that sounded exactly like a washing machine where the load is out of balance during the spin cycle. I assumed that my wife would take care of the problem since she's the one that's usually does the laundry. As the noise continued, I started getting angry that my wife hadn't yet taken care of it. I was determined not to go correct the problem myself and decided that I would rather rebuild the washing machine than get up to take care of it right then. Eventually the noise stopped and I thought my wife had taken care of it. But, I do remember thinking that it was strange I never heard her open and shut the lid. It turns out my wife wasn't even home at the time, and when she got home, she woke me up and excitedly asked me if I felt the Earthquake. Too bad that I missed all of that fun.:wink:

Of course I quickly brought up ATS to see what the word was concerning this particular quake. I found my way to one thread that seemed to be mostly involved with anecdotal experiences of people in the affected zone. I finally came across this thread authored by WestCoast. Based on the fact the WC had earned my respect from reading some of his other threads, I decided this was a place where I could discuss some of the more interesting aspects of the event. So far it seems that the signal-to-noise ratio in this thread lends itself to a serious discussion. Unfortunately there are some noisy elements here... Too bad that there's no filter capacitor for Trolls.


I noticed that there are lots of threads on the VA-CO Earthquakes. Some of what I'll present here has no doubt already been done on some of those other threads, but I think this thread will probably be more long-lived than most of those others. Also, it would be nice to have a comprehensive list of the other related threads because, at some point, it may be useful to peruse those for more unique perspectives and other fun facts.

Anyway, I did some basic calculations concerning the locations of the, presumably, discrete earthquake events that occurred in Colorado and Virginia on 8/23/2011. I am presenting this data for entertainment and "creative analysis" purposes. I have not yet formed an opinion regarding the validity or applicability of this data. Anyway, here are my fun facts:

Basis of calculations:
  1. Baseline locations
    - VA: 37.975°N, 77.969°W
    - CO: 37.070°N, 104.700°W
  2. Event time index (in UTC)
    - VA: 17:51:03
    - CO: 05:46:19
  3. Earth Rotational Speed at Equator:
    - 1670 kph
    - 1070 mph
  4. Earth circumference at Equator:
    - 40070 km
    - 24898 miles
  5. Earth radius:
    - 6378 km
    - 3963 miles
  6. Caveats:
    - All calculations regarding distance, displacement, and speed are based on using spherical geometry assuming a perfect sphere. The Earth is actually an oblate spheroid, and modifiers can be applied to the equations to render a more accurate result. However, I've already burned enough thought on this project, so I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader.:wink:
    - Distance and speed calculations are based on the rule that those measurements vary as a function of the cosine of the angle of latitude multiplied by the speed and/or distance at the equator. See NASA Info

    - ----------
    Fun facts:
    1. DISTANCE (using: Lat-Long Distance Calculator)
      Ground travel distance CO quake to VA quake
      - 2354.0511 km
      - 1462.7375 statute miles
      - 26.7 degrees longitudinal distance
    2. Distance from CO quake to VA quake relative to latitude:
      - 100.7420 km
      - 62.5981 statute miles
      - .905 degrees latitudinal distance
    3. Opposition areas:
      - Opposite side of Earth at the same latitude:
      - VA: 37.975°N, 102.0°E
      - CO: 37.070°N, 75.3°E
      - Spherical opposite side of Earth:
      - VA: 37.975°S, 102.0°E
      - CO: 37.070°S, 75.3°E
    4. Elapsed time between events: 12 hours, 4 minutes, 44 minutes
    5. Speed of travel from CO to VA to arrive in the allotted time
      - 194.8 kph
      - 121 mph
    6. Earth rotational speed at latitude 37 degrees
      speed (in kph) = cos(37 deg) * 1670 kph
      = 1333.7 kph
      = 828.7 mph
    7. Earth circumference at latitude 37 deg
      dist (in km) = cos(37 deg) * 40,070
      = 32001.32 km
      = 19884.43 miles
    8. Planetary alignment (controversial)
      - Earth = Sol = Venus linear alignment
      - Neptune increases linear alignment
      - Venus = Mercury = Mars equilateral triangle
      = NOTE: This is based on a simple observation of the graphical alignment demonstrated on This link and/or this link. In order to really so if there is some sort of real alignment correlation, it would be necessary to use the Ephemeris data from JPL Horizons and perform some relatively straightforward trigonometry.
    9. The area in which I live is near the West Virginia border. There is only a relatively small section of Virginia that is actually located over the Marcellus Shale formation. And that area is in a county North of where I'm located. Fracking hasn't started there yet because the residents are afraid that all of the bad side-effects of that process may come to visit them. So, the epicenter of the Virginia earthquake, which is farther East, is not located near a fracking operation.
    10. Isn't it interesting that Congress/President/Supreme Court were on vacation???? It might be interesting to see who else just happens to be on vacation and traveling outside of the DC area. I'm not necessarily saying that there is anything to the HAARP conspiracy, but I wouldn't completely discount that prior knowledge of these events existed in the US government and with certain selected "business partners."

      In any event, make of it what you will. I've had fun with the research and I hope that some of you all will do the same. It may be a few hours before I get back here, I've been awake for over 30 hours and I need to complete a sleep cycle to recharge my brain.

      Later,

      Dex


      edit on 8/24/2011 by DexterRiley because: my bbcode editor let me down...



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I want to take a minute to thank westcoast for the thread - as well as DexterRiley for his story and info.

I am an old California quake veteran going back to the '72 Sylmar quake - but a few years ago I move to VA. I had audio experiences possibly connected to the quake yesterday that I'm still trying to explain. I don't want to derail the thread - but I wanted to thank both the ATS members with the scientific know how that are helping us with the science as well as the individuals who have real experiences and are looking for real answers.

While I haven't been on ATS more than a few months, I've been here long enough to see that there is often a sometimes sarcastic tone between the science "camp" and those that are searching for answers. I can see in this thread a real effort by some "searchers" to familiarize themselves with the knowledge - and a willingness by the science-savvy to help - AND to listen. I'm on ATS specifically for this kind of collaboration.



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast
 


mmmm. HAARP and ground resonance..... say no more



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
If this was related to fracking and waste water disposal wells, I'd be all over it like a dirty, oily shirt.
The first thing I did when I saw the quake was jump on google maps and looked for fracking sites. There was nothing. I hadn't heard the were fracking in Virginia. I don't know if there was any fracking in Virginia, or West Virginia. I'd be curious to know the closest, industrial site to the epicenter. I didn't even see any mines close by. If anyone can find me some frack pads nearby, please do. I'll look closer myself, but I've already looked. And I'm tired and stupid. Went and read a geological paper and thought my brain was hemmoraging. I'm not into too much thinking right now. Besides, I already solved it. Fracking defineately the cause of the earthquake, I have no doubt. It just isn't directly responisble. The swarms loaded the fault, yes there's faults in Virginia, there mountains right, can't have them without faults. Damn stop to think and spell and lost my train of thought. The clustering interrelationship of these types of faults nudge one another. So, fracking ultimately caused the fault but no one can ever prove that. Not even me who believes it whole heartedly.

Let's say for a minute, I'm 100% correct about the cause. How would you prove it? Even if I had a degree no one would believe me because there's no way to prove it. Everyone knows that the Arkansas swarm was caused by injection. They couldn't have PROVEN it was the cause by restarting the wells and counted the quakes. They could have adjusted pressure and measure the differing levels to determine how big you could make an earthquake. But who in their right minds is going to let them do that. They could test. But no one wanted to risk setting off a big one. That's irrational. The risk was there. And the commision had no choice but to side with public safety. I went ballasitic and tried my best to help stop them wells. After they stopped, I almost wanted them to start it back up just to prove it was the cause. I don't blame the residents for wanting them stopped, and just KNOWING the injection wells were the cause and caring about whether it's PROVED. To those fine people, knowing was proof enough.

They didn't need to prove anything. It's already fact. And the army proved that in Colorado. The nerve of the gas companies to say it was unproven is a lie. The army never PROVED it caused quakes. They just studied it. The never had a scientic paper produce to offer up as proof. It was enough for them to know.

Need to know.



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
reply to post by UtahRosebud
 


Hey Utah!!


Well, I don't have a whole lot more to say about it at this point....just that there are definate oddities (size of quake on seismos vs listed mag; That these and some other notable quakses around the world are on the same line of latitude; that both of these quakes, rare for recorded history, happened whithin hours of each other, USGS is leaving off key information.

You know how I like to look at the big picture. Something is naging at me here. I'm thinking they are foreshocks becuase of how the quakes are behaving and for reasons I just can't explain. It's due to everything I am taking in but am not conciously aware of. I think you will get what I mean. I am sure I will get some ridicule for saying this, but there it is.


Thank you for your response, WC!!! And I have to say, I agree with you. I've been thinking this could be a foreshock as well. Unfortunately,now it's a waiting game to see how it plays out.

As for the naysayers showing up here.... you all are perhaps the worst fearmongers of all. To deny that strange things are happening, and all is well in the world... geez, pull your heads out of your collective you know whats, put the koolaid down and look around at our world and planet! Stop pretending that if it's hasn't happened to you, that means everything must be fine. The motto of this site is DENY IGNORANCE.

Try working WITH those here that put in enormous amounts of effort and personal time to not only educate themselves, but to help the rest of us learn and understand things. You just might surprise yourself and become enlightened in the process.



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DexterRiley
 


Wow...I love ATS. YOU, my friend, need to post more.


Thank you for all the time and effort put into that...I really enjoyed looking at it. I am someone who likes to have stuff like that laid out in front of me, but I wouldn't have even known where to begin to get it. Thank you also for selecting this thread to share it....perhaps it can be put to use!


@Robin......lol. My brain aches too whenever I try to get into those technical journals. I sometimes rely on Puterman and TA to decipher for me. You certainly seem to graps the cause and affect of the forces at work on this planet though. Love your insight.

@Utah...as always, I think we are on the same page.



Love the discussion going on here....I have been away from the computer for awhile. I need to go get caught up on the seismos...but the silence is bugging me.



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open2Truth
I want to take a minute to thank westcoast for the thread - as well as DexterRiley for his story and info.

I am an old California quake veteran going back to the '72 Sylmar quake - but a few years ago I move to VA. I had audio experiences possibly connected to the quake yesterday that I'm still trying to explain. I don't want to derail the thread - but I wanted to thank both the ATS members with the scientific know how that are helping us with the science as well as the individuals who have real experiences and are looking for real answers.

While I haven't been on ATS more than a few months, I've been here long enough to see that there is often a sometimes sarcastic tone between the science "camp" and those that are searching for answers. I can see in this thread a real effort by some "searchers" to familiarize themselves with the knowledge - and a willingness by the science-savvy to help - AND to listen. I'm on ATS specifically for this kind of collaboration.



Thank you. I believe collaboration is key...from all corners of the camp.


Can I ask....did you hear booms????



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
So another one:



Magnitude 4.5
Date-Time Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 05:07:50 UTC
Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 01:07:50 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 37.940°N, 77.896°W
Depth 5 km (3.1 miles)
Region VIRGINIA
Distances 51 km (31 miles) E of Charlottesville, Virginia
53 km (32 miles) SW of Fredericksburg, Virginia
58 km (36 miles) NW of RICHMOND, Virginia
83 km (51 miles) NNE of Farmville, Virginia

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 11.3 km (7.0 miles); depth +/- 3 km (1.9 miles)
Parameters NST= 94, Nph=109, Dmin=52.3 km, Rmss=1.41 sec, Gp= 86°,
M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (mbLg), Version=5
Source Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Location: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc0005jg1


Same depth.

I think it interesting that there was almost nothing all day from either region and now both of these whithin an hour of each other.



MAP 4.5 2011/08/25 05:07:51 37.940 -77.896 5.0 VIRGINIA
MAP 3.2 2011/08/25 03:44:41 37.263 -104.862 7.4 COLORADO



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
CO & VA are clearly out of the ring of fire and such, and both on 37N Parallel.

wonder where else atypical will be stricken next?



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Sorry if this has already been posted:

Russian media reporting the 'earthquakes' were 2 nuclear explosions in underground CIA complex.

Major Tin-foil hat time here. Weird sounds also.




posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast
 

hello, clarification = NO new quake ~~ [well as of that posting anyway, been unavailable most of the day] ... so, as i read (and why i bolded some) it indicates that 8/23/2011 VA quake produced "delayed damage today" - 8/24 (also around 2pm / 24hrs later) and i thought it worthy of mentioning.

Considering the location (NJ) in relation to epicenter (VA), my thoughts went straight to liquefaction possibilities ... especially when RMs theory is added to the mix.
the description provided of the partial collapse is rather vague, but i am familiar with the territory and a sandy, loose base is common for that area.

it is my thought that all of the events/activities mentioned: excessive & late snow melt, glacial retreat, fracking, cavern/mine slosh, polar shift (magnetism), solar impacts, alignments and the quake rattle are relative and contributing factors, each in their own right.

to those who don't understand why the alignments matter, consider the moon and how its monthly phases impact all kinds of things from tides to moods.
since the moon does, surely these celestial competitors will and since such an alignment hasn't been historically recorded, tis prudent to be aware and be prepared to absorb the adjustments that become necessary.

much like the flutter of a butterfly, each impact is felt differently but thoroughly throughout the fault regions.
i like your analogy of a bath tub filled with water and i often use similar ... i tend to reference a full cup of coffee and what happens when fluid is added to the cup while it is tipped at an angle.

this rapid polar shift (change in magnetism) and the negative force of our celestial visitor could cause the earth to repel the energy (like opposing magnets) causing an unnatural tilt for an extended period of time.

*** search pics of saturn during ELEs passing ... if i'm not mistaken the rings are clearly opposite their natural position/angle, appearing to repel ELEs opposing energy *** [i'll find and add pics later]

considering earth may react similarly ... if this be the case, what then happens to the 'fluid/magma' chamber of the earth ?? clearly, its residual location changes and as the forces play against one another, the 'fluid' isn't likely to settle anytime soon.
The increased stress placed upon the tectonic plates has to produce severe consequence/adjustments, eventually. It is only natural.

so, to reiterate, yes i know buildings collapse even without a quake
... i just found this one noteworthy for more than one reason.

i also agree with your presumption this is likely a fore-shock sequence.
afterall, some of the 'worst' damage depicted early on Was the fallen patio chair


 
@ my3911 ~ star for such a wonderful effort



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Another one on the 37 parallel in VA.

Location 37.940°N, 77.896°W
Depth 5 km (3.1 miles)
Date Time: Thursday August 25 2011, 05:07:51 UTC
Region VIRGINIA
Distances 51 km (31 miles) E of Charlottesville, Virginia
53 km (32 miles) SW of Fredericksburg, Virginia
58 km (36 miles) NW of RICHMOND, Virginia
83 km (51 miles) NNE of Farmville, Virginia
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 11.3 km (7.0 miles); depth +/- 3 km (1.9 miles)



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig
 

hi there, it seems you may be somewhat confused ... if i may offer some details ...
first, tectonic theory and discovery are barely 50yrs old ... hence, there is a lot to learn

i think what you are interpreting as fault lines should be referenced as fault regions.
yes, some fault lines are specifically identified, (Andreas, Meers and others) this is what marks the outline of the 'regions'. over the years, the seismic potential (hazard) varies throughout the land and will continue to do so.

perhaps this map will help ...

ex: the New Madrid is both a fault line and a fault zone. the fault line has been clearly and scientifically identified, however, much like a river, it has many paths to travel and occasionally builds its own. the NM fault Zone encompasses 8 eight or more states ... and ... New Madrid is also a city/town along the fault line.

ppl need to understand the fault systems, the cave/cavern systems, the aquifers, the volcanic zones are all intertwined just like the systems of your body (skeletal, muscular, nerve, blah, blah, blah) ... it really isn't much different at all. The Earth is a complete system. one should not, but often does, compartmentalize or micromanage pieces and parts without considering the whole ... this is often less than effective or productive.



posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
reply to post by westcoast
 

hello, clarification = NO new quake ~~ [well as of that posting anyway, been unavailable most of the day] ... so, as i read (and why i bolded some) it indicates that 8/23/2011 VA quake produced "delayed damage today" - 8/24 (also around 2pm / 24hrs later) and i thought it worthy of mentioning.

Considering the location (NJ) in relation to epicenter (VA), my thoughts went straight to liquefaction possibilities ... especially when RMs theory is added to the mix.
the description provided of the partial collapse is rather vague, but i am familiar with the territory and a sandy, loose base is common for that area.

it is my thought that all of the events/activities mentioned: excessive & late snow melt, glacial retreat, fracking, cavern/mine slosh, polar shift (magnetism), solar impacts, alignments and the quake rattle are relative and contributing factors, each in their own right.

to those who don't understand why the alignments matter, consider the moon and how its monthly phases impact all kinds of things from tides to moods.
since the moon does, surely these celestial competitors will and since such an alignment hasn't been historically recorded, tis prudent to be aware and be prepared to absorb the adjustments that become necessary.

much like the flutter of a butterfly, each impact is felt differently but thoroughly throughout the fault regions.
i like your analogy of a bath tub filled with water and i often use similar ... i tend to reference a full cup of coffee and what happens when fluid is added to the cup while it is tipped at an angle.

this rapid polar shift (change in magnetism) and the negative force of our celestial visitor could cause the earth to repel the energy (like opposing magnets) causing an unnatural tilt for an extended period of time.

*** search pics of saturn during ELEs passing ... if i'm not mistaken the rings are clearly opposite their natural position/angle, appearing to repel ELEs opposing energy *** [i'll find and add pics later]

considering earth may react similarly ... if this be the case, what then happens to the 'fluid/magma' chamber of the earth ?? clearly, its residual location changes and as the forces play against one another, the 'fluid' isn't likely to settle anytime soon.
The increased stress placed upon the tectonic plates has to produce severe consequence/adjustments, eventually. It is only natural.

so, to reiterate, yes i know buildings collapse even without a quake
... i just found this one noteworthy for more than one reason.

i also agree with your presumption this is likely a fore-shock sequence.
afterall, some of the 'worst' damage depicted early on Was the fallen patio chair


 
@ my3911 ~ star for such a wonderful effort
my Dear God in Heaven, we are all gonna die. If ELEs turning Saturn's rings on end what will it do to Earth...OMG




top topics



 
74
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

log in

join