5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 59
<< 56  57  58    60  61  62 >>

join

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Afternoon all,
My first post on the site, been reading these forums for a while. Found this article a fairly interesting read, some interesting thoughts discussed.

Link to External Website

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
Honestly, what are the odds that the DC region has its biggest quake in 67 years and Colorado has its biggest quake in 40 years happening on the same day???

That is weird. I wonder what are the odds?

A less scientific explanation (and my guess) is the odds are, 'somewhere between Slim and Slim left town'.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchanneller
reply to post by air101

Do not mind this. The US does an infrastructure test after a major geological event, mainly because of our insurance companies and, the citizens secondarily. Sorry, it is true.

This is your first big one for a long while, and do not let them get you down. With tight bedrock and plates, this feels bad and it does more damage to unstable infrastructure. The rolling is worse than the shaking for your property, depending on when it was built.

**********************************************************************************

You're absolutely right on. Rolling is worse than the shaking for the typical house ... been through each AND a combo of both.

Also, Insurance Companies first, people second. Although, they do have to check the building structures for any possible damage that could compromise the safety of the building.

In California (where I experienced 3 large quakes and many, many tremors -- lived 2 miles in from major fault-line) they deal more there with "Liquefaction", and not typically solid-bedrock issues.

You mentioned rolling and shaking ... One of the quakes in CA, depending where one was when it hit, was BOTH a roller and a shaker ... ALL IN ONE. That was the absolute worst one for me. Halfway through, I began having my doubts about getting out alive. .. still don't know how I got out of that in one piece, but I did.

A roller and shaker combined ... doesn't get any worse. But, I doubt the East Coast will experience that.

JANA12

edit on 24-8-2011 by Jana12 because: typo

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Here's a conspiracy Theory that makes sense?
www.dailykos.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Geeeez....come on people!

All this commotion over a little five point rumbler? And everyone wonders why the West Coast (best coast) is laughing and mocking. Some overweight guy passes gas and we have a 5.0. Big deal.

If a relatively small earthquake can be such a big deal, imagine what will happen if they increase in frequency and severity.

I suggest coming out to Los Angeles and taking a look at how we seismically brace EVERYTHING!

Plus, why is it considered strange that we had an earthquake anywhere other than the west coast? The biggest earthquake recorded was in the mid west, go figure.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

Um, yeah a nuclear plant makes NRG, but say an earthquake happens, the automatic systems SCRAM the reactor, shutting down the Nuclear Reaction. Now where are you going to get emergency power for those coolant pumps? Maybe a spare generator who's sole purpose is to keep Reactor Coolant flowing through the core when there is a emergency shutdown of the reactor? Sounds kinda logical if you ask me...

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Kind of late to the party, but I am in Montgomery County, MD and we definitely felt it here. I thought it was my dog running up and down the stairs (he does this often) but when I went to tell him to calm down, he was cowering behind a chair kind of trying to bark at the noise. He was visibly shaken, and he does not fear much of anything. It was only then that I thought "hey that may have been an earthquake"....

Interesting to hear all the theories about this, is it really possible that fracking could have caused a 5.9 felt from GA to ME to OH????

Keep your signals clear folks, the earth is indeed going through some changes. Whether manmade or not... And if any of this is manmade, you can bet mother nature will retaliate.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Interesting thought I had, the depth of the Earthquake is about the same depth or less of a D.U.M.B. (Deep Underground Military Base) Is it possible that drilling these around the DC area set off a shallow Quake?

Thought I would post it and not sure if anyone else has touched on this.

edit on 24-8-2011 by TheRemedial because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by 3dman7

Originally posted by 3dman7
Here's a conspiracy Theory that makes sense?
www.dailykos.com...

Fascinating link.
edit on 24-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
All of you who have heard of HAARP may want to consider this. We have had huricane Irene bearing down on the southeast. It's previous path would have had it hit the coast at a possible cat 4. All of a sudden it took a more northern track. One that will cause minimal damage to our coastal residents. At this same time there is a freak earthquake on the east coast. If you have done any research on HAARP, you will know that it can affect both weather and earthquakes.
Things that make you go HMMMM

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
This quake was felt in North and South Carolina. The building shook for a good 10 to 15 seconds while I was at work.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by vondeath
All of you who have heard of HAARP may want to consider this. We have had huricane Irene bearing down on the southeast. It's previous path would have had it hit the coast at a possible cat 4. All of a sudden it took a more northern track. One that will cause minimal damage to our coastal residents. At this same time there is a freak earthquake on the east coast. If you have done any research on HAARP, you will know that it can affect both weather and earthquakes.
Things that make you go HMMMM

That's an interesting thought, I am not really a huge believer in the whole HAARP thing but it is an interesting coincidence. Change the atmospheric condition around the coast (D.C area) and change the trajectory of the huricane at the cost of a mild EQ. Economically sound trade off for sure, great thinking.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I haven't read the whole thread but wondered if anyone has reported smelling sulfur before the VA quake?

I'm in southern Colorado about 40 miles from the epicenter. I'm fairly sensitive to smells because of wildfires. Sulfur is something I'm very familiar with. My parents well is nothing but sulfur water.

The morning before the CO quake I watered my flowers but the hose was hot so I let that water run out on the ground and I got a whiff of sulfur. I watered and the smell went away. Didn't think too much about it until I watered my garden in the back. This water comes from a separate 250 gallon tank. I was kneeling down near the ground letting the hot water run out and I smelled sulfur again. When I watered it went away. I know aeration can eliminate sulfur odor so I opened the tank to give it a smell check and it was fine. I didn't think about smelling the ground but maybe I should've.

I've watered since the quake and no sulfur smell at all I even dug up some dirt and smelled it.
I know I smelled sulfur and I don't think it was in the air or in my water. I believe it was in the dirt.

Southern Colorado rain smell is a bit different because of our dirt. My son from Denver notices it when he comes down. Our dirt is real powdery so when the rain hits it a puff of dirt is released that you can smell from quite a distance. That's what this odor reminded me of. The wet dirt gave off that normal rain smell but with a hint of sulfur that I noticed right away. I know it sounds crazy but I've lived out here a long time I know the land very well.

I'm in a very dry area, no standing water at all. There are mines (morning glory mine) and vents very close but I've never smelled sulfur around them. Maybe it was the hot water from the hose but I've done this before and never smelled sulfur. Idk just something strange I thought worth mentioning.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This has been quite of an earthquake it seems. I didn't know it caused so much damage until seeing these pictures. One should stay cautious for a week or two to make sure it's gone.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
before the 9.1 and 7.5 EQ in japan and vanatue later this month

well i can assure that i felt suddenly dizzy without a reason. im not sure what it could been
but for sure it was strange... and i cant explain this..

its coming and its coming fast..

edit on 24-8-2011 by 2Unknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
In the east/northest here, we are technically part..of the Appalachian mountians. mountains are formed from 2 land masses crashing itno eachother bascially, heaving the land upwards over a vast amount of time. it suprises me no one thought any kind of earthquake would never happen. its only a matter of time. the thing is, in places like souther CA, the san adreas fualt, people are more or less, used to it. CA is moving waya from coninental US, and still people choose to live thier. thats like building yuor home at the base of a volcano, then wonder why thiers lava in the living room! not too smart.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I think I may have found something interesting. Now, I am not making a prediction by any means, and don't normally go around fear-mongering, but I live near Charleston, South Carolina, and remembered that there was a massive.....estimated magnitude 9.5 to 10 earthquake in Charleston, S.C. on August 31st, 1886. It was one of the worst earthquakes to ever hit the United States.

In any event, I was reading through the USGS website and marking down the history of earthquakes in Colorado (where the recent 5.4 was recorded) and the D.C./Virginia area, where we had the recent 5.9 earthquake. I was curious to see if there was a correlation between Charleston's recorded earthquakes and ones that occur in or around DC and the area Colorado had their respective earthquake.

I didn't expect to find much, and again, was only curious because both Virginia/DC and Colorado are not on constistently regular earthquake zones. USGS describes both as "minor zones with rare occurences," and I remember that this was how South Carolina was described.

Now, keep in mind that the magnitude reports elow are estimates, because they didn't have actual measurements until the mid 1960's (Per USGS).

Here is what I found:

In South Carolina, there were two major earthquakes (estimated magnitude 6+) prior to the mid-1950's. There were several reported smaller ones, but the massive 9.5 to 10 was on August 31st, 1886. The second was an estimated 6 plus on January 23rd, 1903.

In Colorado, there were several magnitude 5-6 estimated earthquakes before the 1960's, but in the area of Trinidad (where the earthquake hit several days ago), there were only three earthquakes estimated to be above a magnitude 4. The dates for these earthquakes were on December 7th, 1870, estimated to be magnitude 5+, on September 7th, 1882, estimated to be a whopping 6.6 magnitude, and on November 15th, 1901, estimated to also be above 6 magnitude.

In the Virginia/DC area, there were 2 earthquakes way back in the late 1700's and early 1800's estimated to be substantial, but other than those, again only three estimated to be above a 5.0 magnitude before the mid 1900's. The first was on September (no day given) 1884, estimated to be a very large magnitude 6 plus, on October (no day given) 1885, estimated to be a substantial quake over 5 plus, and on May 31, 1897, estimated to be another whopper at 6 or 7 magnitude.

Now, again, this is not some prediction, or meant as some fear-mongering post, but according to USGS website data, there APPEARS to be a correlation between Colorado quakes, Virginia/DC quakes, and Charleston quakes. From just the data, there were substantial quakes in both Colorado and Virginia/DC immediately prior to (4 years) Charleston having the massive 1886 quake. Then again, there were again substantial quakes in both Colorado and Virginia/DC just prior to (5.5 years) Charleston having it's second large earthquake in 1903.

I would have just racked it all up to conicidence if the USGS data was just showing a correlation in the 1880's, but when the data showed the "turn-of-the-century" correlation (1897 to 1903), it seems to strengthen the correlation.

As a conclusion, I wonder whether there will be another large quake near Charleston, South Carolina within the next 4-5 years based upon the apparent correlation above. I would never go so far as to predict that, but find it interesting that there appears to be a correlation of some sort based on the USGS data.

Kyre

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013
Geeeez....come on people!

All this commotion over a little five point rumbler? And everyone wonders why the West Coast (best coast) is laughing and mocking. Some overweight guy passes gas and we have a 5.0. Big deal.

If a relatively small earthquake can be such a big deal, imagine what will happen if they increase in frequency and severity.

That is exactly what all the commotion is about...exactly that what if, could this be a preliminary? No one knows. That's why so many people are talking about it. After all Coastal regions are notorious for Earthquakes so we're actually WAYYYY overdue for a big shaker for sure!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteDevil013

Grow up. These people have never before experienced a quake. They still suffer from PTSD from 911, anything remotely resembling the sounds, or the movement is going to scare them. Think before you speak.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
No what scares me is we are basically Just like California in the way our coast was formed here, but instead of loamy ground ours is bedrock, a 9.0 here if it happened will cause 100 x's more damage then over on the west coast. And my biggest worry is these are preliminary to something bigger. No one can rule that out. Not with any conviction. It may be two three years later, but we ARE overdue for a big quake here...my geology teacher told me this YEARS ago! (won't tell you how many, not giving up my age
)!

new topics

<< 56  57  58    60  61  62 >>

join