It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 55
<< 52  53  54    56  57  58 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
"Reed wall here my words and take heed....." Enki from Z.Sitchin

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The first thing you need to realize during a quake is you are safer where you are, and look for cover. Get under any solid object you can, kind of like if you were in a tornado. Doorways contrary to most peoples belifs are not the best place to be, a coffee table, bed, desk, etc...The last thing you want to deal with is live wires falling outside, also if your power goes out DO NOT LIGHT CANDLES its not like a bad storm and your power goes out, there could be broken gas lines.....flashlights only....also the water may not work for long so put a plug in your tub and run your bath till full...boil before using...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ChangingSkies

9:30? huh, because it was posted at 8.04 pm.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by 7slinger

Yes, I understand that. I said the last time I'd seen it posted (meaning, it was removed and hadn't returned since..) was 9:30pm.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

And what I meant, originally, was I definitely felt the earthquake from earlier today, the 5.9.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ChangingSkies

Oh, gotcha. I see it on the worldwide map (just now), the 4.2 is showing, but when I look at the US map and zoom in on that location its not there.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

It's very odd to me. I do see it listed here on this map, however: quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

But compare with:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
In the past 72 hours 84 rockets have bombarded Israeli cities. Not military bases. Killing six civilians and forcing 1 million citizens of southern Israel into bomb shelters. This has not hit the main stream news yet. Please repost as I am unable to start a thread .. New member .

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
we felt it all the way in London Ontario , I didn't notice but others in my office did ! creepy

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by nwdogg1982

You weren't the only one my fellow Mountaineer.

I was down at Saint Albans, WV taking some video of the coal trains running through yesterday and I felt the jolt as well bro. Just standing there minding my own business and next thing I know it felt like I was being shoved by some invisible person. I know for certain that they evacuated the Kanawha County Courthouse, the Capitol Complex, City Hall and a few high rises afterwards so that they could be inspected. I called my dad, a paramedic, right after it and he said that he felt it when they were dropping a patient off at the hospital. He told me that the entire building shook. Huntington felt the same exact thing as well I'd say about a minute after we did here in Kanawha County. It was still strong enough down there to cause a crack to form on the second floor of the Cabell County Courthouse. It even prompted the Ashland Fire Department to start issuing evacuation orders to the office buildings in downtown Ashland. After which, they and the city building inspectors went in and checked everything out to make sure they were okay to reenter.

Felt as far north as Ontario and as far west as Ashland, Kentucky and maybe even further than that.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
4.2 in VA a few minutes ago
4.2 2011/08/24 00:04:37 37.912 -77.951 7.9 VIRGINIA

Edit: USGS just took it off their site now..
edit on 8/23/2011 by l0rds0fcha0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

Hey Gwampo - I get a headache whenever the barometer drops indicating rain - just like people with arthritis know when it is going to rain as it acts up - I know what triggers my headaches and it didn't rain today...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I felt nothing here in S.E. Connecticut but after watching the local news I saw that it was felt in other parts of the state.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kurthall

Good post Kurthall. You brought up some good points. I do think that boiling the water could maybe be a problem, especially if the gas lines break, as you mentioned. We always have plenty of gallon jugs of distilled water in the house at all times. We replace what we use. I lived in 'earthquake country' for a good part of my life so being prepared for any major event or disaster is both comforting and important to me, and it's not hard to do.

Anyway, using the stove to cook even if it's just to boil water reminds me of the "Ham & Eggs Story", which is why right after a quake I won't use the stove. This story is well known around town there and talked about.

Did you hear of the "Ham & Eggs Story" a catastrophic event the result of another catastrophic event -- a major 8.3 (later downgraded to a 7.8 EQ) San Francisco earthquake way back, I think maybe around 1906 ?

A woman decided she would cook since going out to eat certainly wasn't an option due to the major earthquake an hour earlier. So, she went to cook up some ham and eggs shortly after the earthquake, not realizing the fireplace was badly damaged and the gas lines had ruptured, creating an explosion and consequently a 24-hour raging fire that burned down a 30-Block section of SF .... over a 24-hour period all for a plate of ham and eggs.

I'm guessing her hubby didn't get his eggs 'over light' on that morning.

It was said that the explosion and resulting fire was as bad as the earthquake itself.
edit on 24-8-2011 by Jana12 because: typo

edit on 24-8-2011 by Jana12 because: spelling

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf
O god this is going to make all the new Madrid fault line people come out in droves flooding ATS with their non sense about this being a precursor to the "Big One".

Had to stop and post on your comment.....I'm on page 21, and have been reading since page 1.

I agree with you. Too many people are panicking right now.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
MAP 2.6 2011/08/24 02:40:40 37.111 -104.633 5.0 COLORADO
MAP 4.2 2011/08/24 00:04:37 37.912 -77.951 7.9 VIRGINIA

Just updated on the usgs site.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ltdan08
reply to post by loam

So there was a 6.0 sized earthquake on the East Coast. What do you East Coasters remember from before the earthquake? Strange lights in the sky? Low vibrations and rumbling before the actual quake? Brain anomalies: headache, dizziness, and 'drunkness' were experienced; anything else?

We could get some decent data on earthquake precursors if we notice any patterns.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Perhaps the answers lie in the cards. A resemblance between the national cathedral in D.C. and the illuminati card game.

www.dcquake.nationalcathedral.org...

Tuesday afternoon at 1:51 p.m. (EST), a massive 5.8 magnitude earthquake rattled national landmarks in our capital. The historic Washington National Cathedral sustained substantial damage in this quake. Experts are tirelessly working to assess the building damage—both structurally and aesthetically.

edit on 23-8-2011 by lllTRONlll because: None

edit on 23-8-2011 by lllTRONlll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ltdan08
reply to post by loam

So there was a 6.0 sized earthquake on the East Coast. What do you East Coasters remember from before the earthquake? Strange lights in the sky? Low vibrations and rumbling before the actual quake? Brain anomalies: headache, dizziness, and 'drunkness' were experienced; anything else?

We could get some decent data on earthquake precursors if we notice any patterns.

I have had this dreadful feeling since late last week that something bad was gonna happen on Monday or Tuesday but I blew it off...I felt kinda ill about it. While discussing the quake with 2 co workers who experienced it a 2 different places on long island ny described feeling like they had a head ache and were going to pass out, don't know if that means anything.....

new topics

top topics

<< 52  53  54    56  57  58 >>

join