It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 54
<< 51  52  53    55  56  57 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelchanneller
reply to post by air101

Do not mind this. The US does an infrastructure test after a major geological event, mainly because of our insurance companies and, the citizens secondarily. Sorry, it is true.

This is your first big one for a long while, and do not let them get you down. With tight bedrock and plates, this feels bad and it does more damage to unstable infrastructure. The rolling is worse than the shaking for your property, depending on when it was built.

I do not care what pontificating happens on this thread....this is a first for us all. Unless someone has found some cave wall findings that they have been holding back on us...this is a first. And for now, f*ck the extrapolations.

Let these people find their own knowledge, in their way. We will not regret it. They are seeing things on the ground that is vital to the human story. Things we cannot see.

They are not getting me down in any way. I live in Bridgeport, Connecticut and didn't really feel it much. Sure after everything was said and done maybe some of us over reacted but I look at it as being ready and having a plan considering the last one was so long ago.

It was a well welcomed wake up call. Well welcomed cause as far as I know, know one died from this event and made us realize it can happen here too with no warning. My local news has been talking about great survival tips and we are doing each and everything they recommended, took it farther by planning safer routs back to home like avoiding bridges.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I haven't read this thread yet, but I just want to say that there has been an ongoing argument here on ATS about the fact that large solar flares/CMEs often occur about 2-3 days before large earthquakes.

Of course, within minutes of that fact being posted, Phage usually gets on the thread and convinces everyone that it's bullsh**.

Well, 2-3 days ago, I saw that there was a HUGE commotion on another website about a very, very large solar CME happening...and now, we have two quakes in Virginia and Colorado.

All I can say is how much more evidence do people need?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by axslinger

I did try to get HAARP into the discussion, but the pages moved so fast it got lost in time. I stated, maybe they( Washington) saw the path of Irene and tried to use HAARP to deflect it, but instead they cause an EQ.

But I was joking. I wouldn't be if I knew more of HAARP so I suppose I was actually serious about it, just not in conspiracy mode cause of that one thought.

It is strange, just gonna keep my eyes open and see what happens.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I havent gone thru all the posts but heres a joke and my disclaimer is I heard it thru the grapevine and dont know where it originated.

"Anyway the Weather Department says it's was an Unknown Fault that caused it, they plan to name it after the President, Obama's Fault!"

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
I havent gone thru all the posts but heres a joke and my disclaimer is I heard it thru the grapevine and dont know where it originated.

"Anyway the Weather Department says it's was an Unknown Fault that caused it, they plan to name it after the President, Obama's Fault!"

Lmfao! Good one...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by harlot7

Harlot7,

I thank you for this post and found some well needed calmness in a detailed description of the pertinent facts. I've spent a good portion of the afternoon attending to some older and less prepared neighbors who didn't know how to deal with their anxiety and uncertainty and there's no question that people are in shock, despite what they may or may not think. Also, there's been lots of criticm from people about the media comparing today's events to 9/11 and I just want to say that there is a definite PTSD element to it. I myself stared out my window to see if there wasn't an attack on Indian Point - my very first automatic thought was that it might be another terrorist attack, so to belittle and blame the media for bring up somethng that's so prevalent, especially to NYers who can still remember the extreme fear of being in such close proximity to unknown chaos, is really not fair. It's a relateable reality we can't deny.

Anyway, I hadn't had time to put things in proper perspective for myself and your post layed it out for me like a roadmap. Thanks for the efforts you put into it. I particularly liked the link to the Daily Mail - they've become one of my main news sorces as they seem to gather both extensive commentary in a relatively short period of time as well as candid photographic portraits of events in a most compelling and complete manner.

One more thing I want to comment on to the community in general. The last year or so, I've been different - some have described me as "skittish" in the best case scenario and other have used the turn "anxiety-ridden" in other instances. What I found out today was that by reading all of the posts and sharing thoughts, feelings, ideas and exchange of information with my fellow ATSers, I've changed in a positive way and things have sunk into this thick skull of mine on a subliminal level. I have been able to look at and respond to things from a different perspective and as a result, I was able to act as a catalyst for calmness instead of being one of the many scared. As unexpected as today's events were for many, it was a true eye opener for me in my evoluation since joining ATS.

Peace all,
Timidgal
edit on 8/23/2011 by timidgal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Someone on one of my social media's put up a joke too. I don't know if you'll find it funny but maybe you'll smile? Everyone needs a smile in their day.

The earthquake's origin was determined to be a cemetary just outside of Washington D.C. You know, the one the Founding Fathers are buried in? Seems they all turned over in their graves at the same time.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
It shook the house for a good 2 minutes here in central NC... another sign of the times I suppose (Mt 24).

Mineral, VA - The magnitude 5.8 earthquake that struck Virginia on Tuesday was the largest on the East Coast since one of the same strength in New York in 1944, according to the U.S. Geological Service. It was the largest in Virginia since a 5.9 temblor in 1897. The largest East Coast quake on record was a 7.3 in South Carolina in 1886.

www.vosizneias.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
CNN Reports: Some Stones Loose At Washington Monument After Quake (VIDEO)

And:

Washington Monument top cracked by earthquake

The National Park Service says engineers have found a crack near the top of the Washington Monument presumably caused by a magnitude-5.8 earthquake that shook the East Coast.

Park service spokesman Bill Line said Tuesday night that structural engineers found the crack where the 555-foot landmark narrows considerably.

He says the monument will be closed indefinitely to keep the public safe.

An outside engineering service will study the crack on Wednesday.

The 91,000-ton monument is made of Maryland marble.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Ok look, everyone seems all freaked out about nothing. I am from Rockford, IL. I moved To southern CA about four years ago, and have been trough a few shakers here, but the funny thing is since I left the Chicago area, so have the earthquakes. Most of the fault lines in the US that were active in the past, have been inactive for some time, HOWEVER they have always been active. Just not in our life time. Just as Tsunamis and tornados and so on and so on. Thanks to the media we now know about all this stuff instantly. Chicago Is WAY over due for a really big one as well as the whole midwest. So let it be known, I for one will not say the sky is falling if it happens in my life time. I will pray for those killed and hurt and such, but I will know that it was well over due. Just as I know that LA is due in my lifetime.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Boy, all kinds of hidden meanngs and symbolisms can be gleaned from that development if one is so inclined, no? I have a feeling that as things "settle" more, we'll discover that there was more damage than initially realized...

Timidgal

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Wow didnt think it woulda caused so much damage but judging from the pics someone couldve got hurt

Hopefully the aftershocks aren"t too bad

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
i felt my the back pourch of my housing sawy like i was on a boat. im out on block island on the south coast of Rhode island. we also got some pretty nifty waves that tossed people are for a good hour or so....i was on the phone with my ma when it hit. i thought i was getting an acid flash back HAH
untill my mom siad that the china cabnet started to shake rattle and roll. stange times we live in. mabey the doles are finnaly waking up and are eating the earth from the inside out. or it may be that the starts are falling in the right place and my sleeping lord will rise from the pacific ocean. eahtier that or dagon had to roll over in his sea weed bed.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by kittendaydreamer

hahaha yes I do very much appreciate it! Thanks.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Geologist lady on the 10 o'clock news said she believes the 5.8 in VA. is a "foreshock" signaling a much bigger quake is on the way. Be alert over the next few weeks.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
now d.c. looks like the rest of america.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kurthall

Haven't really noticed any "chicken little" theorists running rampant today, Kurthalf. Just a bunch of folks seeking a little solace and calmness after experiencing something they found unnerving because they've never experienced it before. You're right, many places are "due" for some type of major geological event and I hope that we'll show those folks an advanced level of compassion when needed.

Timidgal

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Ok, USGS has again removed the 4.2.... why do they keep removing and adding it back?

Here's a screenshot:
img.photobucket.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I was looking at that story on Yahoo and they have a slideshow of photos. The monument is #4. I looked at the photo and pulled it up larger and put a protractor level to the ground in the photo. The left side is at 90 degrees and the right side is at 86 degrees. It seems to be ever so slightly leaning to one side by about 2-3 degrees. Even though the monument itself is tapered, it shouldn't have a 90 degree wall, and it does look like it is leaning a tad. If it has a cracked top and is closed off, and knowing that they have done foundation work in the past, is it safe to conclude that it is indeed leaning?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 7slinger

I've been keeping an eye on this as well. It hasn't returned for me since it first left. That was at around 9:30pm. I'm East Coast...and definitely felt that Earthquake. It was odd. Like nothing I've ever experienced before. However I didn't feel shaking. I felt more of a sway...and just very uncomfortable. It's an odd feeling to describe and I won't even try.

top topics

<< 51  52  53    55  56  57 >>

join