It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 53
<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by air101

Do not mind this. The US does an infrastructure test after a major geological event, mainly because of our insurance companies and, the citizens secondarily. Sorry, it is true.

This is your first big one for a long while, and do not let them get you down. With tight bedrock and plates, this feels bad and it does more damage to unstable infrastructure. The rolling is worse than the shaking for your property, depending on when it was built.

I do not care what pontificating happens on this thread....this is a first for us all. Unless someone has found some cave wall findings that they have been holding back on us...this is a first. And for now, f*ck the extrapolations.

Let these people find their own knowledge, in their way. We will not regret it. They are seeing things on the ground that is vital to the human story. Things we cannot see.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by 7slinger
I find it interesting that USGS has now removed the 4.2 quake in the same location that they had posted at 8:04....any idea why it was removed?

Except it hasn't been removed. It's there now and has been since it was posted.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I am in Maryland and was in Annapolis. I was outside standing on the curb smoking and could not figure out why the curb was moving. It made me dizzy. Right after that people starting running out of the office. Had no idea what it was until someone told us. Most of the people I know have never been in an Earth Quake before so it was pretty frightening. When I got home several items had fallen off the walls. Now we get to look forward to a hurricane in a few days. Crazy week!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Justaposter

Haha! Sorry, I've been sick this evening. Haven't been able to get on much. I did get to watch the news though, and I am so glad this quake wasn't as bad as it could have been.
And who says naughty can't be nice?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
It must be me but I don't see why there isn't more being said about how many Nuclear Power Plants went on back-up doesn't this bother anyone knowing that most of the Nuclear Power Plants were built on the East Coast because we usualy DO NOT have quakes and they are built to only withstand quakes that have been here in the past .

40 years ago we has like a 3 they are made to within like a 6 or so if they went bonkers with this ...............wow why isn't this all over the news in stead of Libya.

Wake up people

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by thedman

Hey, your in my back yard!
I don't know if you watch Good Day Philadelphia (Channel 4) but this morning Sue Serio made a simple human error and mispronounced Hurricane Irene in her newscast. She misspoke and said, "Hurricane Eileen", when phonetically sounded like El-line.

I was thinking to myself, great, now everyone in the Delaware Valley will think Sue Serio and all of her geological wisdom, just provided disclosure on Comet Elenin and the whole area will become doom and gloom. Then we get hit with an earthquake.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Troublesome

Star. I was in Upstate NY a bit north of Albany and definitely felt a violent shake for 20 seconds or so... then continuing for at least another 20 seconds no less so. I was alone standing in my office about to sit down, stood there for a bit realized something was going on, but not stopping. After making sure nothing was structurally compromised I walked down say 30 foot hall way to speak with my co-workers... still was going on. Talked with them a bit we were the only ones around. No panicking, I figured it would stop soon. But that soon was definitely longer than I though finding out the epicenter was in VA hundreds of miles from (you in NJ) and here. Don't get me wrong at first I was like #. But... just kept wobbling and no major explosions or aftershocks. Could have been worse but it was long...

My heart goes out to those injured or killed, but hopefully and probably that is few.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I cant take credit for this idea but someone made me think.

Could there have been a bomb or "experiment" gone wrong?

DC does have a huge underground.

Just an idea.

Nowadays, anything is possible.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
This is for my sister in-law she said she felt a little shook up because the ground was shakin.
Glad you all are ok.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hadrian

Originally posted by 7slinger
I find it interesting that USGS has now removed the 4.2 quake in the same location that they had posted at 8:04....any idea why it was removed?

Except it hasn't been removed. It's there now and has been since it was posted.

Looks like they've put it back now, but I swear I checked it maybe 2 mins before I posted and it was not listed...and now when I click on the details for that particular quake its showing a 404 file not found USGS page.

"Oops! — File Not Found (404)
Did you follow a link from an Earthquake Notification Service (ENS) message or another earthquake information source?"

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by felonius
I cant take credit for this idea but someone made me think.

Could there have been a bomb or "experiment" gone wrong?

DC does have a huge underground.

Just an idea.

Nowadays, anything is possible.

Stop Hydraulic Fracturing...It is a huge contibuter.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by gigaherc

The dates are August 23, September 26 (give or take 12 days), and October 11. The effects are entirely unknown to me and I do not want to know what is going to happen.

If your diligent in trying to find out what is going to happen he re is a link to an ebook. I don't own this, I just pass it on.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Maybe with this damage we can get some people working to fix it!

But more seriously...

We felt it in Pittsburgh, Pa as well. My family and I live in Carnegie, 5 minutes outside and the high school was said to be shaking quite a bit, according to my aunt who is the head of the transportation department at Carlynton Jr Sr High School.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by AudioGhost
Maybe with this damage we can get some people working to fix it!

But more seriously...

We felt it in Pittsburgh, Pa as well. My family and I live in Carnegie, 5 minutes outside and the high school was said to be shaking quite a bit, according to my aunt who is the head of the transportation department at Carlynton Jr Sr High School.

Close down all the Fracking wells in the US..

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Originally posted by Daedal

Could that really account for the size of this earthquake???

Btw, I did a thread on fracking once that I think few people really liked. While it got some attention, it didn't seem to do too much. Maybe the subject doesn't matter in this age of anything outrageous is possible...

The Conspiracy Before Your Nose: A Fracking Disaster in the Making!
edit on 23-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Ok the 4.2 keeps disappearing and reappearing. It has done is half a dozen times already. Is there anyone in the DC area or near the epicenter that can verify any movement during this time for us?

USGS

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog

In the DC area, I have felt nothing new.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by Daedal

Originally posted by Daedal

Could that really account for the size of this earthquake???

Btw, I did a thread on fracking once that I think few people really liked. While it got some attention, it didn't seem to do too much. Maybe the subject doesn't matter in this age of anything outrageous is possible...

The Conspiracy Before Your Nose: A Fracking Disaster in the Making!
edit on 23-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

I can't really tell you the answer to that.All I can say is that there is evidence suggesting that injection wells pumping millions of gallons of fluid into the earth can create quakes.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Thank you loam.

2nd line.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog

I am in Hampton Virginia about 160 miles or so from the epicenter. Some time between 9:00 and 9:30 I felt a vibration that was very brief. I asked my husband if he felt it. He did not. I don't know if that's what I felt.

new topics

top topics

<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join