It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 51
<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by WielderOfTheSwordOfTruth
reply to post by Drew99GT

Yeah it's on CNN right now! "All US capital buildings evacuated" Quakes all over the country..

Get ready for them to blame it on terrorists here! Probably will lock down the US and say that the plans for Nikola Tesla's earthquake generator have fallen into the wrong hands!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
You say its not 'normal' for East Coasters to experience a 5.9, well here in the UK were even further out of seismological reaches from plate boundary's. Yet never once during any 5+ quake the UK has felt did the country halt air-traffic into airports, evac capital city buildings or freak-out like you guys did so today.

If that's how the East Coast reacts to a brief 5.9, your going to need all the luck going for when either the Ramapo Fault crossing NY state or the New Madrid Fault ruptures.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Had to share this one.

One of these days I'll figure out the linking on this site.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchanneller

Panicky people are the last people on Earth you want around in a real emergency. They ARE the ones the First Responders risk their lives to deal with.

Evacuating those buildings in DC was the dumbest move they could have made. The earthquake posed little risk, while the evacuation could have gotten people hurt.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ELahrairah
yeah I felt it at work here in VA.
I didn't realize that it was a quake until a customer mentioned it.....

..................I'm kinda embarrassed I was in the employee restroom when it hit.
edit on 23-8-2011 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

So, what were you doing in the employee restroom with a customer, aye?

Originally posted by followingpythagoras

Just felt another aftershock at 8:04 p.m. here in Richmond Va. I'm getting tired of this. Again I say how in the world do people deal with this on a regular basis??

I guess you just find it within yourself to cope in the best way you can.

This is our scene: Chch quake map. See how many we had in the first day...etc...

I'm not making light of your situation. It's not nice at all, very unsettling and I wish you all a seismically-quiet future!
edit on 23-8-2011 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-8-2011 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

No doubt, hombre. The sheer quantity of people running around banging their heads into brick walls will let loose another barrage of quakes, no doubt!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

You upload directly to ATS and link to that. No need to use any other site. You should go to the pages for newcomers and figure out how to do that. It's easy to do in fact. Click on the Tools button on the bar up top and then click on pictures.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

Originally posted by RUDDD
...well here in the UK were even further out of seismological reaches from plate boundary's. Yet never once during any 5+ quake the UK has felt did the country halt air-traffic into airports, evac capital city buildings or freak-out like you guys did so today.

Are you speaking from personal experience? Let's review the UK's earthquake history, shall we?

It looks like the last time the UK experienced a 5.8 or larger quake was on June 7, 1931.

So you must have a really good memory!

List of earthquakes in the British Isles

But never let the facts get in the way of a pithy point.

reply to post by Hadrian

**yawn**

edit on 23-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Haha I didn't realize what I said could have been taken out of context

I was in the restroom when the quake hit 20 minutes latter when I was back to work a customer told me a quake had hit.

Only some of the people I worked with felt it others didn't.
At first I didn't know if it really happened or if I just imagined it.

edit on 23-8-2011 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperTripps
Gonna give some of you a LESSON here on how media works when you live in a bilderberg templar rome induced nightmare

check out msnbnc. about 8:30 PM EST and LIBYA is the major picture and news..not the earthquake

www.msnbc.msn.com...

my experience has been when the major media ignore something, like ron paul the last 10 years any other of topics, its for a reason

they don't want the sheep to focus on it , learn from it, put together the pattern, or be scared enuff to buy survival food, etc etc

much easier to distract with more libya or OBL news to scare you.

I agree with you on that I noticed it before, I was getting pissed before, I was trying to listen to the news about the EQ and all they kept taking about is Lybia, the news caster said, 2 things about the earthquake for about 30 seconds... then he said "what earthquake" look at what the stock market did today the down is up 4% or whatever it is, kept changing people's focus away form the earthquake. Thank god for forums like this one....at least while we still have them.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by RUDDD

Originally posted by RUDDD
...well here in the UK were even further out of seismological reaches from plate boundary's. Yet never once during any 5+ quake the UK has felt did the country halt air-traffic into airports, evac capital city buildings or freak-out like you guys did so today.

Are you speaking from personal experience? Let's review the UK's earthquake history, shall we?

It looks like the last time the UK experienced a 5.8 or larger quake was on June 7, 1931.

So you must have a really good memory!

Wikipedia as source is not that good. How about this one:

www.quakes.bgs.ac.uk...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
felt it in northern south carolina too

so did a couple other people i know here.... seems really far away since NY did too

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

Well I ask because I saw a thread that said "two rattlers: earthquakes blah blah" and the one that we got supposedly went as far as new york and the "other" sounded more like new madrid. I was just curious. It doesn't seem like a 5.9 would be felt from d.c. to new york, but I am admittedly no expert.

link   
reply to post by blackcube

Originally posted by blackcube
Wikipedia as source is not that good. How about this one:

www.quakes.bgs.ac.uk...

I'm sorry. Your source differs how?

I swear there must be a full moon out.

link   
I wonder if anyone used their SHTF backpack during the evacuation. Perhaps the Policy makers in Washington will rethink their classifications of survivalists after their mini brush with disaster.
At least the emergency response was better than Catrina good to know the capitol is efficiently being looked after.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Evacuating those buildings in DC was the dumbest move they could have made. The earthquake posed little risk, while the evacuation could have gotten people hurt.

I disagree.
I would hazard that given the age of a lot of buildings out East, there are a load of unreinforced masonry structures and a whole lot of buildings that wouldn't meet the modern standards for seismicity.
Evacuating the building is one of the best things you can do due to an earthquake. We even practice it here now.
The problem is not evacuating the buildings but ensuring that people know how to evacuate and where to assemble.
There is always the risk of a sizeable aftershock after such a 'quake as this, and having people trapped in buildings/carpark buildings etc is no fun at all. Stairwells can concertina, buildings can physically collapse (probably not from a shake of this magnitude, but depending on depth, location, construction, and geology it is possible), etc etc. consider it akin to a fire: You need to get out, and you need to get out now.

But hey, what would I know?

edit on 23-8-2011 by aorAki because: needed to edit

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
One good thing that may come of this is people will rethink the wisdom of preserving dangerous old buildings for reasons of nostalgia. Perhaps they will also start enforcing building codes in the East as they should be enforced.

I've lived in two different cities where while they were debating tearing down an old building for historic value the wind brought it down and almost killed people, making the decision for them.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

One good thing that may come of this is people will rethink the wisdom of preserving dangerous old buildings for reasons of nostalgia.

That is a very interesting point. One I have not considered before!

But I don't really agree with this.

Trust me. I got out of my house. I thought it was coming down. Any stronger and it just might have come crashing down. Fortunately, that wasn't the case.

edit on 23-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
The 5.2 Market Rasen quake is the closest to memory, given i'm 70 miles from where the epicenter was near to Lincoln in the East. The UK cannot be compared to the US in stature given its different sedimentary properties geographically aswell as significantly smaller landmass, meaning most years it'll be guarantee'd that one or two quakes will make it into the news.

I remember the 5.2 quite distinctly given my interests in seismology and fact I was on the helicorders the second the S-Waves had stopped rumbling through the house. Now we in the UK faired pretty well out of that being only one casualty caused by a falling chimney.

Today in the states i'd like to know what justifies closing down not just one major airport, but multiple as far away as 280 miles from the epicenter. Given its intensity and S/P wave motion would have been sent right to those 'in the know' to relay to airfield ops. People have been delayed, flights cancelled, workers 'evacuated' and for what? a piddly 5.9 quake with a P-Wave that passed in 20 seconds in .DC, the lack of self-control and failure by anyone in the authorities other than the msm to rightly downplay this is shocking at best.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Just looked at the link you provided - and felt like a big sissy (even though I am a woman) for freaking out. In my defense, it is the biggest and only earthquake I have ever experienced, and I was concerned for a few moments that the house was going to come crashing down. However, after looking at what you are living with - it could be SO much worse. A little perspective never hurts, I guess.

new topics

top topics

<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join