It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 50
<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

no they are not whacky!!! whats whaky is the east coast of AMERCIA had a big earthquake felt in multiple states..and folks like you are downplaying it, acting like its normal

ITS NOT

period. its normal in CA . not in DC or RI

wake up.

and read some of the stories here..literally people were very scared, being evacuated. and folks/trolls like you are here to say their experience was wrong

u need to wake up. 10% of all buildings in northeast are able to survive the big one

link   

Magnitude
Date-Time
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 at 00:04:36 UTC
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 08:04:36 PM at epicenter
Depth
7.8 km (4.8 miles) (poorly constrained)
Region
VIRGINIA
Distances
52 km (32 miles) ESE of Charlottesville, Virginia
54 km (33 miles) SW of Fredericksburg, Virginia
55 km (34 miles) NW of RICHMOND, Virginia
81 km (50 miles) NNE of Farmville, Virginia
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 10.1 km (6.3 miles); depth +/- 9.4 km (5.8 miles)
Parameters
NST= 82, Nph= 96, Dmin=55.7 km, Rmss=1.24 sec, Gp=126°,
M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (mbLg), Version=4
Source
Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID
usc0005iu6

link   
yeah I felt it at work here in VA.
I didn't realize that it was a quake until a customer mentioned it.
I just thought it was something wrong in the pipes or a compressor in the building going nuts.

..................I'm kinda embarrassed I was in the employee restroom when it hit.
edit on 23-8-2011 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Why no report of the second quake in essentially, the exact same spot at 18:36HRS (CST) with a Magnitude of 2.1?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Then another in Virgina today AFTER the 2nd quake in Virginia at 19:20HRS(CST) Magnitude 2.2 in the very same area?

THREE QUAKES IN TWO HOURS

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Just felt another aftershock at 8:04 p.m. here in Richmond Va. I'm getting tired of this. Again I say how in the world do people deal with this on a regular basis??

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by np6888
How many times do earthquakes have to happen in unnatural places before we can consider them "unnatural?" First, New Madrid, then this.

It's also my belief that things would be far worse, if it weren't for the aliens' interference and make everything look "normal."

Message to the aliens: if you're not going to land, then STFO OF OUR BUSINESS. We WANT destruction. Better not interfere with Elenin, you bunch of useless turds.

edit on 23-8-2011 by np6888 because: (no reason given)

Neither location is an unnatural place for an earthquake to occur? Who told you that nonsense?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
felt a little back and forth motion here in bridgeport connecticut.. felt it on my legs, thought i was getting dizzy till i realized i didnt feel sick then 10 min later i heard about the quake..

crazy stuff..

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Anybody on the east coast not taking this as a serious warning ( whether it is or not) is completely ignorant, these things happen on the west coast constantly so when i feel a 5, there is nothing really to worry about, new york city and Washington D.C. on the other hand are not known for strong tremors, thus being an unusual event you should all pretend the worst is going to happen and prepare! god bless allz yallz

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I'm about 40 miles from the epicenter... It rocked my house VERY nicely today! I've yet to feel any of the mentioned aftershocks though... As close as I am, I would think that I would.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I believe Japan's nuclear plants lost power in the beginning as well..this raises a load of concern

Have they resolved this problem?

Personally I think these incidents are a bit more than coincidence.

Population control would be quite achievable if one knew how to control it..
edit on 23-8-2011 by EL1A5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Gonna give some of you a LESSON here on how media works when you live in a bilderberg templar rome induced nightmare

check out msnbnc. about 8:30 PM EST and LIBYA is the major picture and news..not the earthquake

www.msnbc.msn.com...

my experience has been when the major media ignore something, like ron paul the last 10 years any other of topics, its for a reason

they don't want the sheep to focus on it , learn from it, put together the pattern, or be scared enuff to buy survival food, etc etc

much easier to distract with more libya or OBL news to scare you.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Yeah, local news guy, John Bernier, just broke into programming to say the aftershock was a 4.2 at 8:04 PM

PS - Don't dare make fun of me because I have ABC on (showing that worthy program, Wipeout). It's just background noise, totally, while I catch up on Armageddon with you guys.
edit on Aug 23 2011 by Hadrian because: Fear of judgment.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

But if you have two uncommon events in such a short amount of time, then how likely is it?

Anyway, there are actually far more 6+ and 7+ quakes occurring every year than what people actually experience. I can rule out the location(as in some of them are on islands) and depth(shallower than the ones we actually feel), so why don't we feel them?

As a matter of fact, did you know that there were 40 aftershocks, each of them mag 6+(2 of them 7, 7.2 and 7.9 to be exact)? Many of them were at shallower depth than the actual quake. Yet most of them were not felt, how? One can only conclude that there must be some forces working behind us, to minimize the damage.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

little small pic/blurb

pathethic

when the swine flu came, the media spent weeks warning people about it and getting people vaccinated

earthquake hits the northeast and is "old news"

no mention of earthquake preparedness bags, etc

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I'm in Fayette County West Virginia. I just happened to be in bed napping as I felt like crap today, and woke up to my bed shaking sometime this afternoon. In my half-asleep stupor I just thought it was my cat jumping up on the bed, and then back off it, which is how it felt. Then as I woke up a little more I remembered my Dad doesn't let me have my cats inside! (I just recently moved back home and they sleep happily in the garage and play outside in the country air all day, whereas before they were always couped up in my apartment and loved to snuggle up with me in bed). I thought it strange, but nothing else happened so I went back to sleep. When my Dad got home that evening from work he asked me if I had heard about the Earthquake!

I thought he was joking with me at first, but then excitedly told him about the shaking waking me up. I didn't really expect him to believe me since he said he didn't feel it all of 3 miles away at his work. And normally I would have been on the web if I was at home so I felt a bit like an "Earthquake Groupie" claiming to not know about as well as having felt it. I decided not to tell my extended family about my sleepy experience over our Tuesday Evening Weekly Dinner at my Grandma's - until the topic soon came up and my Aunt revealed it shook her car that she was sitting in, still in her driveway as she was talking on her cell phone and hadn't yet gone inside (the serious, no nonsense Aunt said this, not the Gossipy funny one). :-) As she lives next door to my Dad's, so I was confident what I felt was indeed the quake!

I've emailed my friends in DC to make sure they are fine and see what they felt but no replies yet. I also read a slightly worrying (if an Earthquake here isn't already worrying enough!) and a rep from the USGS apparently cautioned that this *might* be a "foreshock" and that the worst could be yet to come. Being a long time ATS Fan, I could only think back to all the doom and gloom stories and prophecies and HAARP tales and whatnot that I read about here daily. I hope, of course, that she's wrong, but the paranoia in me (heavily nurtured and cultivated by reading ATS of course!) :-) tends to believe otherwise. If nothing else, we'll almost certainly get some aftershocks, though these probably won't be too bad. Probably. I hope.

Anyway, Lookout WV checking in to say "I felt it!"

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by N34Li3Z
Why no report of the second quake in essentially, the exact same spot at 18:36HRS (CST) with a Magnitude of 2.1?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Then another in Virgina today AFTER the 2nd quake in Virginia at 19:20HRS(CST) Magnitude 2.2 in the very same area?

Because a magnitude 2.1-2.2 is about as violent as a loud truck driving by your house at night. There are thousands of 2.0-2.9 earthquakes per day.
edit on 23-8-2011 by MRedfield because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I just thought about my friend and fellow member here Conclusion 1. He works the coal mines there in Virginia.
I hope he's ok ?
edit on 23-8-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MRedfield

Originally posted by N34Li3Z

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Because a magnitude 2.1-2.2 is about as violent as a loud truck driving by your house at night. There are thousands of 2.0-2.9 earthquakes per day.
edit on 23-8-2011 by MRedfield because: (no reason given)

I'm not speaking of intensity, of course it's low, I'm speaking of frequency.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Thank you!

Plates shift, the continents change. Welcome to the planet.

Where is this coming from?

Further, can we give our brothers and sisters one day maybe two before we scare the begeesus out of them? Many are preparing for a hurricane!

If you read every post on this as many of us have, people have been frozen in panic attacks, unable to move. Others have had anxiety bordering on that. And others have been separated from children and loved ones not able to get the view on the news that we have... fearing for their loved ones.

What is wrong with you people?

Serving up the fear...the fighters do not fear and they definitely do not fear fighting for a downed brother or sister.

Let them breathe or suffer the consequences.

new topics

top topics

<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join