It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Central KY here, did not feel anything. Father in Central Maine said they felt it up there.

link   
So weird, I'm in NY out on long island, I was taking a nap and I felt my bed slightly shaking when I was waking up, I thought I must be still dreaming a bit or something. I used to get sleep paralysis/night terrors a lot so I'm used to weird stuff when I'm sleeping, guess it was the quake lol
edit on 23-8-2011 by darkest4 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by loam

Yes indeed. I didn't see Colorado's 5.3?

CJ

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

So there was a 6.0 sized earthquake on the East Coast. What do you East Coasters remember from before the earthquake? Strange lights in the sky? Low vibrations and rumbling before the actual quake? Brain anomalies: headache, dizziness, and 'drunkness' were experienced; anything else?

We could get some decent data on earthquake precursors if we notice any patterns.

link   
Felt it here in Purcellville, VA. Of course I didn't really realize what was happening at first so I kept doing the dishes. My girlfriend also says they felt it up in southern Connecticut.

link   
reply to post by loam

I live in south florida gulf coast and I felt a shaking but passed it off as the thunder, because I live in a trailer and it always makes my trailer shake, but it may or may not be what the others felt? Started thundering here around 1 pm EST.
edit on 23-8-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling

link   
I just felt in in Southern WV about 5hrs SE from the actual quake in Mineral VA. Wow, is all i can say. Never in my 40+ years living here have i felt an actual tremor. My dog went nuts also.

link   
reply to post by loam

Ya - just posted too, in NYC felt it here on 28th floor, though I had bad sushi for a moment but no was the real deal. Long time since the east coast ever felt anything like that.

link   
Just had a quake here in toronto. VERY abnormal, to say the least

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Wow yeah look at all of them, this is pretty intense. I hope this isn't the start of something bigger..

link   
Central Illinois checking in here,

Nothing shaking, but hope all is safe and well.
Be wary of after shocks.

These sure are some wild times.

Regards,
W.

link   
reply to post by loam

Just heard a 5.8 hit WaSHINgTON... good luck out there....

link   
It could be worse than 5,8.

Not that I'm a expert on earthquakes, but is prequakes not normal?

If yes, you could be up for a punishment

......CNN just said its unlikely, most dangerous next few hours, but we all know they are disinformants. Did not get the name on the lady who was interviewed.

link   
Wow we felt this one all the way down in Atlanta Georgia. On the second story of our building felt an odd rolling sensation that lasted for about 3 - 5 minutes. All the cell phone lines are clogged I can't contact my folks in Va to see if they felt it!

abclocal.go.com.../local&id=8322210

link   
I live in Maryland and it shook my house pretty bad. I heard some things falling off shelves and the walls.

Pretty exciting honestly, seeing as how there really has never been this big of a quake in the DC area and 2012 is quickly approaching.
edit on 23-8-2011 by Recloose because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Question Fate

Originally posted by Question Fate
USGS Link

looks like it was a 5.9

Looks like that would tie the Virginia record set in 1897.

Historic Earthquakes

Giles County, Virginia
1897 05 31 18:58 UTC
Magnitude 5.9
Intensity VIII

Link.

This earthquake was the largest in intensity and aerial extent in Virginia in historical times. MM intensity VII to VIII extended over an elliptical area - from near Lynchburg, Virginia, west to Bluefield, West Virginia, and from Giles County south to Bristol, Tennessee. The MM intensity VIII assigned to this earthquake is based on "many downed chimneys" and "changes in the flow of springs."

The shock was felt severely at Narrows, about 3 kilometers west of Pearisburg. Here, the surface rolled in an undulating motion, water in springs became muddy, and water in some springs ceased to flow. The flow of water in springs also was disturbed in the area of Pearisburg, about 70 kilometers west of Roanoke, and Sugar Run.

The shock was strong at Pearisburg, where walls of old brick houses were cracked and many chimneys were thrown down or badly damaged. Many chimneys also were shaken down at Bedford, Pulaski, Radford, and Roanoke, Virginia, and Bristol, Tennessee; many chimneys were damaged at Christiansburg, Dublin, Floyd, Houston, Lexington, Lynchburg, Rocky Mount, Salem, Tazewell, and Wytheville, Virginia; Charlotte, Oxford, Raleigh, and Winston, North Carolina; Knoxville, Tennessee; and Bluefield, West Virginia. Felt from Georgia to Pennsylvania and from the Atlantic coast westward to Indiana and Kentucky. Aftershocks continued through June 6, 1897.

edit on 23-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

link   
Pennsylvania here, near Lebanon. I felt it pretty strong. It felt like everything, including my body, was swaying back and forth like I was standing in the ocean. I felt really weird and keep having a sensation in my head.

link   
welcome to california.....o wait a sec. east coast.... never mind.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I felt it, my floor was swaying so much so that it was moving my computer chair (on wheels). I thought it was my brother running up the stairs but he was in the kitchen cooking lunch. It didn't hit me until a few moments ago that it was an Earthquake. I'm in Upstate NY about 30 minutes from Albany, near Saratoga.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Charlotte NC felt it - nothing major but rattles and shaking! very unusual here

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join