It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brainiac
reply to post by SevenOhhTwo

hey i agree with you. I don't live in Japan, but this quake got my attention here in D.C. If anything, it brings you closer to what really was experienced there.

Your family weren't killed in a quake nor did you experience a tidal wave wipe out your loved ones and homes. None of us here can ever experience the horror that took place in Japan.

Let's not compare this to that event. Please. For the sake of SANITY.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

ah thank you for the information i didnt know about the renovations after the cold war(ps u got a link to that picture just curous) that does seem like a disproportionate number of agents to be on the roof especialy with obama not being in the white house,Could it have been a smoke break? secret ping pong tourny? when the cats away the mice might just play.....

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
i felt it here in the detroit area, as well....i thought i was just imagining things, but the chains on our ceiling fan were moving a little bit, when i looked up at it

link   
Yup...

So far USGS is showing a 2.8 aftershock in the exact same spot.

Hopefully the Washington Monument can handle a few more little rumblings today...?

link   

Originally posted by chrismarco
reply to post by METACOMET

In Boston also what a strange feeling...shockingly the people in my office were very calm...

Ive seen people reporting in boston a few times now, Im halfway between boston and providence, I didnt feel anything!
What gives?!

link   
reply to post by tdatreefrog

lol hmm, me too a pretty bad one, just a regular old headache that is tho, not a hangover. is there any study linking it or is it just coincidence.

link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

Well said. How can a plate falling out of a cupboard compare to Japan?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I felt it here at work in Massachusetts. Gyrated me chair a bit, I though maybe I was just dehydrated, but others felt it right away.

link   

Originally posted by majesticgent
Confirmation that this EQ was felt as far south as Atlanta GA. Knew I wasn't crazy!!!

The tweets were also coming in from Buckhead, Kennesaw, Norcross, Grayson, Marietta, Duluth and Douglas County, among other areas.

Reports came in from other parts of North Georgia.

www.ajc.com...

CNN is reporting as far North as Buffalo, NY. As far West as Detroit and as far South as Atlanta. To me it seems like such a huge distance for a 5.9 to be felt.

As far as people on the West Coast making jokes, I don't blame them. California does not get this type of coverage when they have an earthquake of this same size. A 5.9 is not a "major" earthquake. There is no damage, no injuries, and yet it is the top story on every single news outlet.

link   

Originally posted by greyfish
The white house is safe. It was designed by an Irishman

Ireland...known for its earthquakes.

Oh wait...Oy?!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
reply to post by SevenOhhTwo

I think the point is that people are overreacting. I was startled and for about a minute, a bit freaked out but then got excited we got to experience a tremor. But really, 200,000 died in Haiti and thousands perished in Japan. What happened here? A plate fell out of someones cabinet?

Absolutely agreed, i just can't stand how many ignorant posts, especially the people from California.. Posts like "I laugh at your guys' 5.9 earthquake we always get them here".. Ummmm no you fuc**** don't..

link   
Hope all is well and be safe everyone.

First the quake in Colorado:

Colorado shaken by its biggest quake in decades

Now this one..WOW what times have come.

I took a look and it seems that the only hydrofracking going on if any would be in Bergton Va about 161 miles north.

Source

link   

Originally posted by FrankieNinja

Originally posted by JeepOrDie
As a Southern California resident, I must laugh at your 5.9. Funniest part was listening to the CNN news anchor say that this is a major quake that would take down buildings in California. Hype much CNN?

Taking into consideration that you may not know anything about geology, or topography, I would like to point out that the intensity of an earthquake is not necessarily an indication of how strong it is felt. ie. a 5.0 in California is hardly news because of frequency ( occurrence as well as actual effect on underlying soil) Whereas, an earthquake in VA where the ground is likely much more solid (bedrock perhaps? IDK) than in California, even a smaller earthquake is likely to be felt much stronger over a much larger area. IMHO

I don't really know much about earthquakes, but how does the earthquake get "measured" if not through the geological materials? Is there a low frequency humming of some sorts?

link   

Originally posted by Ventessa
I hope you are all well on the East coast. Don't let the quake distract you from the hurricane headed your way. I'm guessing it will do more damage than the quake. Stay safe and be prepared!

Lots of love!

Ventessa!! Reading your lovely and sweet post and then looking left at your avitar

But it is still a a very sweet post

link   
Google Map of Nuclear Power Plants in the US

maps.google.com...,-78.310547&spn=13.909836,20.390625

I created this earlier in the year so I could know which places to stay away from if things get ugly.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

Originally posted by greyfish
The white house is safe. It was designed by an Irishman

Ireland...known for its earthquakes.

Oh wait...Oy?!

Well be atleast bomb proof!

link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Here's a picture, its completely bizarro.

link   
don't know if this means anything....just sayin

www.israeltoday.co.il...

Israeli seismologists simulated an earthquake measuring 3.0 on the Richter scale by setting off 80 tons of explosives in the middle of Israel's Negev Desert on Wednesday morning. The explosion was used to test seismic and acoustic sensors in Israel and other Mediterranean nations as far away as France. Earthquakes of that magnitude are not severe and occur in the region about once a week. Most are not felt by Israelis and the residents of surrounding nations. Israel does, however, sit on the volatile Syrian-Africa Rift, and experts believe a major earthquake will hit the region in the coming years.

link   
The top of one of the towers, of The National Cathedral....
..fell down!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Craziness!
End Times!

edit on 8/23/11 by AstroBuzz because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/23/11 by AstroBuzz because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join