It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
USGS says there was just a 2.8 aftershock... which ain't a lot unless your pictures are about to fall from the wall anyway lol

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tdatreefrog

Originally posted by tdatreefrog
I grew up in Northern Virgina and spent my life on Lake Anna. The lake that cools the North Anna Nuclear Plant. Did anyone notice the the quake was centered directly in Mineral, Va which is RIGHT THERE by the nuclear plant. Less then 5 miles.

Virginia Nuclear Power Plant Loses Power After Quake

link   

Originally posted by snarfbot
reply to post by The Sword

my cat slept right through it, i looked at her for confirmation that i was not in fact hallucinating, but she was no help at all.

I love this post lol

link   
To all the people claiming Cali hasn't had a quake in years here's a link newsjunkiepost.com... yeah and we didn't freak out about it the article is from Jun 14, 2010 at 9:38 pm so please if you don't know what your talking about please do us a favor and dont post stuff you have no clue about
edit on 23-8-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by susej
I felt it in North Carolina in a pet smart.

You'd get arrested for that in the UK.

I am glad everyone on here is safe and well.

It looks like this is now after-shocking and on the way out rather than building to something nasty?

Is that the general consensus?

link   

Originally posted by JeepOrDie
As a Southern California resident, I must laugh at your 5.9. Funniest part was listening to the CNN news anchor say that this is a major quake that would take down buildings in California. Hype much CNN?

Taking into consideration that you may not know anything about geology, or topography, I would like to point out that the intensity of an earthquake is not necessarily an indication of how strong it is felt. ie. a 5.0 in California is hardly news because of frequency ( occurrence as well as actual effect on underlying soil) Whereas, an earthquake in VA where the ground is likely much more solid (bedrock perhaps? IDK) than in California, even a smaller earthquake is likely to be felt much stronger over a much larger area. IMHO

link   
I really felt it as I was about 25 miles from the epicenter. My whole house shook and we ran outside after about 3 seconds into it. First ever earthquake for me and it did freak me out! Nothing broken here, but it did knock stuff off the walls.

The adrenaline was definitely surging in me because my hands were shaking after it was over. Talk about a wild ride!!

link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

Seriously?!? No... New Mardrid Seismic Zone (en.wikipedia.org...) has been causing quakes for a long time.

link   
reply to post by loam

we felt it here in south carolina im in spartanburg about 2 1/2 from charleston. pictures shook on the wall and dishes shook in the sink also...

link   

Originally posted by Noobastronomer

Originally posted by ZombieWoof

Originally posted by Rkoje18

Does Uranus come into play here at all? I heard that if Pluto is aligned with Uranus that could be cause big problems. Uranus could be the source of all this crap!

i tried really hard not to laugh at this comment you posted....but couldn't help my self

edit on 23-8-2011 by Noobastronomer because: (no reason given)

Dude you just gave me the giggles haha

link   
Confirmation that this EQ was felt as far south as Atlanta GA. Knew I wasn't crazy!!!

The tweets were also coming in from Buckhead, Kennesaw, Norcross, Grayson, Marietta, Duluth and Douglas County, among other areas.

Reports came in from other parts of North Georgia.

www.ajc.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

Relax Its only a small tremblor, Japan have been getting similar daily for months now
and they keep their cool

link   
reply to post by JeepOrDie

Please, for the love of god, stop berating people who've just experienced this event!

We DO NOT get earthquakes of this magnitude very often!

I understand that some people like to crack jokes but there is no need for such arrogant comments.

link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

This is why everbody's learning Mandarin.

link   
I hope you are all well on the East coast. Don't let the quake distract you from the hurricane headed your way. I'm guessing it will do more damage than the quake. Stay safe and be prepared!

Lots of love!

link   

Originally posted by the_journey_in
Quake is 1000 times less in magnitude than 9.0 in Japan. Basically not worth reporting. What I mean is, it wouldn't be reported if it was in Tanzania. You know?

It is the first quake, of this caliber, on the east coast in over a century. It is certainly worth reporting!

link   
Is everyone okay?You're not injured?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ltdan08

I remember having intense, intense migraines a few days before. And the night before I woke up feeling sick to my stomach. That and the weather in Philly PA has been nothing but thunderstorms until two days ago. Even my friends were talking about how odd it was. They all had the same thing I did, one of them even went to the hospital for her migraines.

link   
The white house is safe. It was designed by an Irishman

link   
reply to post by TheRealTruth84

"A plate fell out of a cupboard." That's news?

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join