It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Weather woman LIVE during earthquake!

link   
I just received this USGS update, apparently the depth has been revised from 1 km to 0 km

Region: VIRGINIA
Geographic coordinates: 37.881N, 77.952W
Magnitude: 5.9 Mw
Depth: 0 km
Universal Time (UTC): 23 Aug 2011 17:51:04
Time near the Epicenter: 23 Aug 2011 13:51:04
Local standard time in your area: 23 Aug 2011 18:51:04

Location with respect to nearby cities:
14 km (9 miles) SSW (195 degrees) of Mineral, VA
17 km (10 miles) SSE (165 degrees) of Louisa, VA
23 km (14 miles) NE (52 degrees) of Columbia, VA
58 km (36 miles) NW (312 degrees) of Richmond, VA
141 km (88 miles) SW (216 degrees) of Washington, DC

link   
reply to post by yzzyUK

Yeah, that only goes to show the mindset of the poster.

link   
is Washington Monument really leaning?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilrathiLG
reply to post by MikeboydUS

yeah i guess 10 would be a bit high....could they have been on the upper floors of the white house and ran upstairs to go try to see what the heck was going on?

at-least the white house seemed to hold up well and didnt look like it was gonna fall over but im sure its been reinforced over the years

It looks like they were up there just as the shaking started based on the video.

I think the White House would be just fine. It was highly reinforced, essentially rebuilt from within at the start of the Cold War. There's some hilarious old black and white pictures of a bull dozer driving inside the steel framed shell when they were rebuilding the insides.
edit on 23/8/11 by MikeboydUS because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by ugie1028

You're from the future?

link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack

Originally posted by truthrising2012
Does anyone believe this has anything to do with the new mardid fault?

Yes, I thought about it and I'm ready to vomit, cry and screamm but i cann barely move

no offense but this reaction right here is EXACTLY why you can guarentee 100% TPTB would NEVER LET US KNOW if they knew something was going to happen....ever...

this reaction is why even:

if an asteroid was heading directly for earth...they wouldn't tell you.
if yellowstone was going to blow...they wouldn't tell you.
if aliens were invading...or planning to invade...they wouldn't tell you.

link   
I live in the WV panhandle. The shaking was very strong here. Just an observation, but has anyone else noticed that there is minimal damage(so far) from the quake. Yet the precautions being taken by the federal gov't seem a little suspect to me. Evacuating just about every federal building in the metro DC area so they can be checked? Mmmm!! With us being so close to the 10th anniversary of 9/11. HAARP another inside job on the way?

Given the amount of displeasure the American people have for the current administration. The only conceivable way for The powers that be to remain in power. Would be for some catastrophic event to take place. Just Saying...

link   
reply to post by SevenOhhTwo

I think the point is that people are overreacting. I was startled and for about a minute, a bit freaked out but then got excited we got to experience a tremor. But really, 200,000 died in Haiti and thousands perished in Japan. What happened here? A plate fell out of someones cabinet?

link   

Originally posted by Rkoje18
Hey just wanted to clear one thing up with the people talking about the planets aligning and causing the earthquakes. I know for a fact that the alignment with the Earth, Mercury and Pluto didn't cause anything because Pluto is way to far from them anyways. Also the planetary alignment theory is wrong and this is why I think so. Planets have been aligning for hundreds of years so if the planetary alignment theory was correct we would of had more major earthquakes in the 1700's-1900's. Don't get me wrong though, planets have been thought to cause a pole shift due to them aligning but it's mostly our " Celestial planets " Mercury, Earth, Mars, and Venus. Also scientists believe we are undergoing a polar shift right now because the compass is pointing Northeast when it's said to be pointing North and this is found by magma coming up from the mid-Atlantic ridge the iron oxides in the hardened lava act like compass needles aligning themselves with the magnetic field leaving a permanent record of the earths polarity. Also when a pole shift is underway but is happening " Very fast " it will cause very huge earthquakes all over the world, so where earthquakes don't usually happen like you guys saw in Virginia and Washington D.C. one more little thing before I go. The polar shift happens 4 times every 1 million years and the last one was 790,000 years ago, so that is why scientists believe we are undergoing a polar shift at the moment. But like people are saying definatly keep an eye out because these earthquakes could be a precursor to something bigger and more catastrophic. Thanks for reading and hopefully I answered some peoples questions on planetary alignments and taught you all a few things.

Does Uranus come into play here at all? I heard that if Pluto is aligned with Uranus that could be cause big problems. Uranus could be the source of all this crap!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilrathiLG
reply to post by MikeboydUS

at-least the white house seemed to hold up well and didn't look like it was gonna fall over but im sure its been reinforced over the years

The White House to doing a good job at falling over on it own without help.

Second line

link   
reply to post by loam

I was in my vehicle on my cell phone. The truck starting rocking back and forth. It felt like someone jumping on my bumper. I got out of my vehicle to check to see if someone was messing with me. :-)

I never felt an earthquake before. I'm home now and my dog is really nervous!!!

link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

oops.

meant to put 2011... ah, been sayin 2012 so much on this site, its become automatic sometimes.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
All of this stuff is crazy earthquakes in colorado new mexico now the whole north east and now a hurricane is on the way (which i know is hurricane season) i live in colorado i cant imagine what the winter is going to look like

link   
reply to post by loam

The arrogance expressed by some in this thread is really disappointing.

link   
reply to post by watcher3339

Nothing showing at www.solarham.com as far as solar activity. Not even a B class flare and no solar winds/CMEs to speak of. Perhaps the shaking took out a tower or 2 or rattled components loose. We'll have to give it a day or so and let the dust settle and assess it from there. Rumors and speculation run quite rampant after these kinds of events, so time will tell

link   
interesting note... they say the epicenter was mineral, VA were St. Anna nuclear plant is located. i dont see anything about damage to the plant but it was shut down.

CNN

link   
Welcome to Canterbury. We've had over 8000 'quakes since the 7.1 last September, so I know how many of you may be feeling.The adrenalin rush , I find, is uncontrollable and while sort of enjoyable at the start it wears thin.
Be prepared for aftershocks and make not of evacuation routes wherever you are (especially in tall buildings/built up areas).
It wouldn't hurt to stock up on water, food, pet food, and toilet paper/disinfectant.

My thoughts are with you. Earthquakes aren't pleasant at all.

Kia kaha.

edit on 23-8-2011 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

link   
Quick, invade something! The Washington Monument demands a sacrifice!

link   
Pentagon, Capitol evacuated...
Shakes Manhattan...
Felt from Toronto to Atlanta...
Epicenter VA...
Felt In Chicago...
Airports Closed...
CELLPHONES OUT...
Nuke Plant Shuts Down...
VIDEO: Vacant White House Shakes...
Stones fall off National Cathedral...
WASHINGTON MONUMENT 'TILTING'?... DEVELOPING...

edit on 8/23/11 by AstroBuzz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join