It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I'm not used to them, either. Several years ago there was a 2.2 about 300 miles north of me, and it woke me up. I thought for a minute a tree had fallen, but then it went on for 4 or 5 seconds, and I knew a tree would have just shaken the ground at the moment of impact. Nothing falling off the walls, just a slight shaking.

Went back to sleep, and heard it on the news the next morning.

This one is very large to cover so many states. It's scary. I hope it's over for another hundred years.

I'm glad you guys are okay, hope the children won't be frightened. Cheers!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
This must be from reading too much ATS, but the first thing I thought after the shaking ended was "I wonder if any nuclear accidents happened"

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
WTOP has just reported that 2 nuclear plants have been taken offline as a precaution.

link   
I just was able to get in touch with my father he lives in Philadelphia and they felt it there, he said his house was shaking badly.

link   

Originally posted by ltdan08
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

The crazy thing about this is that I woke up with a nasty headache and have been feeling quesy and muddledminded the whole day. After speaking with several coworkers many of them woke up the same way, next thing we know the EQ happens and makes us feel more quesy. No joke 5 or six people felt the same symptoms. I wonder if it's connected. I know animals are able to sense an EQ minutes or hours beforehand I wonder if it is same with individuals.

Your symptoms were most likely EQ related. We humans can sense a lot of different things, we are just so ADD that we don't take the time to stop and interpret them. Was there any ringing in your ears or head too?

No there was no ringing, but the night before I had trouble sleeping which almost never happens, made it to work late today because I was so zombie like along with having a annoying headache and upset stomach. I though it was something I ate the day before but when I got to work, someone else told me that there were at least 6 other people feeling quesy with headaches. I am very aware of my body and it was certainly out of place practically the whole day. Ate half of my lunch and couldn't even smoke my whole cigarette. The EQ happened and I felt completely out of equilibrium.

link   
Western Maryland here and yes, we felt it. The whole house shook though nothing fell. I actually thought it was the washing machine gone berserk! : )

link   
Felt it too, in Baltimore. I thought my dog was scratching himself and shaking the couch... then the couch started shaking a lot more and stuff started falling over... then I got it.

link   
reply to post by loam

I'm in Richmond near the epicenter. I felt one here years ago but never like this one.

To all the people about to speculate about elenin and HAARP, get over it. It's an earthquake, they happen.

link   
reply to post by harlot7

No smart Californian is laughing at you. People have died here. Stay smart. Get the kids and get home.

This is not funny.

link   
FOX news reported that the Washington monument is tilting.

Can anyone confirm?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snorkelbacon
I'm Curious if it's tied to the Colorado EQ? Two unusually large EQ's per location within less than 24hrs of eachother. Just Thinking.

ditto, also wonder where's next. the USA is quite a wide spanse and right now it seems notable EQ activity is being experienced by Americans almost simultaneously.

and yeah, that the epicenter was practically at the Pentagon - hello homeland security (or self destruct) who knows..

link   
i have been correlating the status of the Large Hadron Collider and earthquakes over the last 2 years - it is amazing that they were about to inject particles into the LHC a few minutes (15) before the earthquake - the similarities between the other major earthquakes and what was going on at CERN have been spooky - similar tests and experiments occured right before Fukushima and the Chilean and Haitian earhquakes - i think the LHC creates a large gravitational field but i don't know enough physics to prove anything. i wanted to make this a new post but i don't have enough "credits" to create my own

here is the latest twitter feed from about 16 minutes before the DC quake - you can follow LHCSTATUS on twitter - i don't know what an 'unsqueeze commissioning is' but 7 e 10 is exponential and ppb=parts per billion...

lhcstatus Andrew Elwell

#LHC 19:41:16: ready to inject again now: 90m unsqueeze commissioning (filling scheme: 3 bunches of 7e1O ppb)

link   

Originally posted by Thrace
In Tazewell Va (Southwest Va) and didn't feel anything and I was even laying on the ground working on my truck.

How is it the entire east coast can feel one small 5.9 quake?

don't have the source but I read somewhere, the East coast is all on the same bedrock, thus the effect is more widespread.

"Last time we felt a distant quake, seismologists told us that bedrock in the eastern US is very stiff, therefore even far-off earthquakes can propagate to the Midwest," said Gabriel Spitzer, WBEZ's resident science expert.
www.wbez.org...
edit on 23-8-2011 by works4dhs because: add quote

link   

Originally posted by pulsescan72
I HAVE LIVED HERE ALL MY LIFE AND I NEVER HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS.

THE EPICENTER WAS IN MINERAL VA OUTSIDE OF LOUISA. IM NOT FAR FROM THERE AND SOMETHING DOES NOT SIT RIGHT WITH ME ABOUT THIS!

THIS HAS TO BE THE WORK OF HAARP OR ELENIN OR BOTH

Or, maybe it's the fact that there are known faults in the area and it has historically been an active seismic zone?

link   
Some one was reporting on FB that it was a 9.5

I must admit i absolutely packed my pants and rushed onto here, wow that scared the life out of me LOL, ok so it was a 5.9 no big deal hope you guys across the pond are all good and safe

Brit

link   
I did not feel it some people only live an hour away from me and felt it in Pa.

link   
I live in Foster, RI. I didnt feel anything but i work in a lumber yard with machinery and trucks in and out, so i might have overlooked any kind of vibrations or shaking.

link   
Thought I'd contribute...

Felt it a bit here on the Eastern bit of Kentucky.
Honestly, I overlooked it because a large truck went by outside at the same time...it wasn't until my wife called to let me know she felt it while she was on break outside that it registered.
Nothing really to say beyond that...the local firefighters have been calling around to check on places and no problems reported so far.

Take care, all!

link   

Originally posted by atlguy
I am in Atlanta and I felt it. I had no idea what was going on at the time - I actually thought the cat was wiggling my chair from undeneath it... Really odd - it's the second quake I've felt here in 10 years.

Felt it here too at work. Funny that no one else that I've called in the area, or other parts of Georgia felt anything. We felt it very well. Like a slight rolling sensation. This is the second EQ I experienced in GA.

link   
We felt it here in Greeneville Tn. I was walking at the time and lost my balance and went stumbling like a drunkard.
My husband said it shook our entire house but thankfully nothing broke.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join