It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I'm on the 6th floor in a building in NY and we were shaking a whole lot.

They arent letting people into high rises in the city, the tunnels are closed and I think the airports too.

link   
My hands are still shaking as I write this.
When I felt the tremors I had no clue at first was going on,It did not take long for me to realize something abnormal was transpiring .
I live in the suburbs south of Philadelphia and I felt the aftershock!!!
I have never experienced anything like it before.The news just said they have reports of people all the way up NY that felt the tremors!
3.7. epicenter and the report said the earthquake spanned over 200 miles!
I know this is definitely a rare event for this area! I only hope this is not foreshadowing of things to come but something tells me this will not be the last.

link   
Florida checking in... didn't feel a damn thing
so in case anyone is worrying we're O.K. soooo... just trying to be apart of the cool crowd
My sister lives in D.C. and she is still running out of the buildings now they are being forced to get off the phone, and she's not allowed to go to the metro to get to her car (obviously).
edit on 23-8-2011 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Felt it in southern NJ. My bed was shaking and items on shelves too. Lasted about 15 seconds or so. Only the second time in my life I've felt an earthquake. Best wishes to everyone out there.
Cell phone service is down(verizon) as well as Comcast home phone VOIP service. Strange that internet is still working though.
edit on 23-8-2011 by RainDog because: (no reason given)

link   
I just felt it here in Pittsburgh. It scared me a little bit because I never would have guessed there'd be an earthquake. My cats, however, we not alarmed at all. They just continued napping without a care. Silly cats.

link   
Felt it here in eastern Pennsylvania. My house was shaking and thought it was the dryer, but it was too rough for that. I go downstairs and my mother and I look at each other: "Did the house just shake?"

Pretty badass if you ask me.

Also, this is nothing abnormal. Its not common, but not the first incident on the east coast. We'll probably experience another one in 20 or 30 yrs.
edit on 23-8-2011 by SeventhSeal because: (no reason given)

link   
Am in nyc and felt it 2

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrathofall
We felt it here in Rochester Michigan, slightly. But all this precursor talk...well we probably won't have another one for another hundred years.

lol..Whelp Guess I won't get to expereince a quake unless I move to Japan or California or someplace else.

link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

its not the quake itself as much as the idea that its happening everywhere ...so it seems??
Feel for you in Cali. but you guys are alot less surprised as its somewhat common.

link   
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

The crazy thing about this is that I woke up with a nasty headache and have been feeling quesy and muddledminded the whole day. After speaking with several coworkers many of them woke up the same way, next thing we know the EQ happens and makes us feel more quesy. No joke 5 or six people felt the same symptoms. I wonder if it's connected. I know animals are able to sense an EQ minutes or hours beforehand I wonder if it is same with individuals.

Your symptoms were most likely EQ related. We humans can sense a lot of different things, we are just so ADD that we don't take the time to stop and interpret them. Was there any ringing in your ears or head too?

link   
It's interesting to me how quickly the communication channels are all hosed up.

None of the phones seem to work- land or cell.

edit on 23-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by 31Bravo
Florida checking in... didn't feel a damn thing
so in case anyone is worrying we're O.K. soooo... just trying to be apart of the cool crowd
My sister lives in D.C. and she is still running out of the buildings now they are being forced to get off the phone, and she's not allowed to go to the metro to get to her car (obviously).
edit on 23-8-2011 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

You definitely have bigger things to worry about, not some 5.9 eq..... Are you on the war path of Irene?

link   
reply to post by Jordan River

You mean you don't know who to blame ?........

It's obviously Gadaffi's special forces have dug a tunnel to the USA and set off a huge nuke underground

Is that good enough for you ?

link   
From Earthquakes in Virginia

Since 1977, there have been about 200 earthquakes in Virginia.

Virginia is classified as a "moderate" seismic risk, and has a 10-20% chance to experience a 4.75 quake every century or so. In quakes above 4.5 on the Richter scale, buildings begin to fall.

Any reports of falling buildings?

link   
Only thing I can figure that could have caused it is that someone in the MSM must have admitted the existence of Ron Paul as a popular presidential candidate.

link   
They are reporting it was felt in office towers in Toronto. I didn't feel it myself. Too busy watching events unfold in Libya.
edit on 23-8-2011 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

Im in FL too, and feel left out of all the excitement. Except family vacationing in VA right now.

link   
Definitely felt it in upstate South Carolina near Charlotte NC.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I'm in Massachusetts near Northampton and felt it here. I also was told it was felt about 40 minutes north of me in Greenfield, MA. I was sitting down and felt the house swaying and saw the car rocking back and forth in the driveway.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf
ahahahaha you people are funny I'm from Cali and have personally slept through stronger quakes. OMG a 5.9 we are all going to die lol. Think japan now scale it back ok how do you feel about your little quake now.

It's a bit unnerving when you never felt so much as a 1.0 (or what ever) ... but I get you. My family visited from Cali during our last blizzard and they were scared to death as I drove them home from the airport. I was also laughing at them, it was just 2 inches of ice under 3 ft of snow...

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join