It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC finally kills off the Fairness Doctrine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

The FCC gave the coup de grace to the fairness doctrine Monday as the commission axed more than 80 media industry rules. Earlier this summer FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski agreed to erase the post WWII-era rule, but the action Monday puts the last nail into the coffin for the regulation that sought to ensure discussion over the airwaves of controversial issues did not exclude any particular point of view. A broadcaster that violated the rule risked losing its license.

SOURCE ^

for those of you who don't know what this is:

The Fairness Doctrine

The Fairness Doctrine had two basic elements: It required broadcasters to devote some of their airtime to discussing controversial matters of public interest, and to air contrasting views regarding those matters. Stations were given wide latitude as to how to provide contrasting views: It could be done through news segments, public affairs shows, or editorials. The doctrine did not require equal time for opposing views but required that contrasting viewpoints be presented

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
well, IMO this is a final nod of the hat by the fcc to all the big fat conglomerates out there to spew as much propaganda as they like into our society

makes me sick

edit on 23/8/11 by emptyOmind because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by emptyOmind

Either that, or it shows that the government has officially gotten out of the "telling us what to listen to" business.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Land of the Free

I am so jealous.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by emptyOmind
well, IMO this is a final nod of the hat by the fcc to all the big fat conglomerates out there to spew as much propaganda as they like into our society

makes me sick

Some cures are far worse than the disease.

I, for one, am glad to see the doctrine die.

If you dislike what you see, read or hear. Stop buying it. The buck speaks louder than the pen.

I think people don't get how dangerous such a doctrine is in the hands of a dishonest government. It's bad enough with the private guys.

edit on 23-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Knew this day was coming.

In a true Corporatacracy, why should there be any alternative views allowed? You WILL listen to our views and you WILL accept them. Bwaha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Originally posted by emptyOmind

makes me sick

Some cures are far worse than the disease.

I, for one, am glad to see the doctrine die.

If you dislike what you see, read or hear. Stop buying it. The buck speaks louder than the pen.

I think people don't get how dangerous such a doctrine is in the hands of a dishonest government. It's bad enough with the private guys.

edit on 23-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

the problem is that most people don't realize how they are being manipulated by what they see and hear from various forms of the news media, they just accept it blindly because it is coming from (in their minds) an authority figure

and i don't see your point about how the fairness doctrine was an actual danger, care to elaborate?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Good riddance, now the MSM can decide what to air about who/what and when to air it. Because, you know, they haven't been doing that for years or anything.
edit on 23-8-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

In a true Corporatacracy, why should there be any alternative views allowed? You WILL listen to our views and you WILL accept them. Bwaha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!

You were never prohibited from spreading your alternative views. Never. You had stations like Air America Radio to push liberalism. And you still have them -- nothing has changed.

Problem is, you had no listeners.
I love to see another George Soros project die a painful death.

edit on 23-8-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas

You were never prohibited from spreading your alternative views. Never. You had stations like Air America Radio to push liberalism. And you still have them -- nothing has changed.

Problem is, you had no listeners.
I love to see another George Soros project die a painful death.

edit on 23-8-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

george soros project? what are you talking about?

i dont see how the death of the fairness doctrine is a good thing

am i missing something here?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
How about one simple rule instead. Thou shall not bear false witness. If they are found to have purposely done so. Bar them from broadcasting. No more lies.
edit on 23-8-2011 by D4Saken because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by D4Saken
How about one simple rule instead. Thou shall not bear false witness. If they are found to have purposely done so. Bare them from broadcasting. No more lies.

Great idea, but you really need to stop using common sense...

In February 2003, a Florida Court of Appeals unanimously agreed with an assertion by FOX News that there is no rule against distorting or falsifying the news in the United States.

Project Censored: The Media Can Legally Lie

Too late. The courts have already decided that it is just fine and dandy for a news outlet to distort/lie.

Still love your idea though!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The Fairness Doctrine was just a liberal device to force conservative media to air their liberal propaganda. I'm glad the FCC put it down. It's a two edged sword. Now the liberals don't have to be fair either, not that they ever were.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
When will the FCC drop their children's programming tyranny?

I want my Saturday Morning cartoons back!

It was blatant advertising, product placement and marketing that got us awesome shows like GI Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Voltron, Duck Tales, etc....

To think there's at least one whole generation who never knew the pleasures of Sat AM cartoons. And ironically they're broke buying frivolities, fat and lethargic.
All the things the FCC and the "think of the children" crowd sought to prevent when they stole away my cartoons.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

You Sir are very concise with your comment. Thank you for both your support and your referenced article. It was truly informative. Why this information isn't acted upon by our legislators is beyond me. Perhaps if such a law requiring truth in media was to be passed, our legislators would find the public looking to their honesty as well, when speaking on the Senate floor for instance. The article about Senator Jon Kyl and his statement that was not intended to be a factual statement.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
hmm. expect to never hear about or see ron paul in the media ever again, and if there are any debates he'll just be blurred out and the national anthem will just play over his audio.

i want to think that this news could be a good thing, but i'm not sure right now.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Wow, you wouldn't think that was ever a requirement for the MSM networks considering what I have seen from them. This will just allow them to keep doing what they have been doing already, except now even a "basic mention," that many probably don't catch anyway, will be eliminated. Just goes to strengthen much of what we talk about on these forums.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
The Fairness Doctrine was just a liberal device to force conservative media to air their liberal propaganda. I'm glad the FCC put it down. It's a two edged sword. Now the liberals don't have to be fair either, not that they ever were.

that's a laugh, republicans and liberals.. do we always have to discriminate and subdivide politics based on these black and white principles?

how about right and wrong, fair and unfair? the whole party system is flawed to begin with as it is just another way to divide people on important issues forcing them to one side or the other, and provoking ill will instead of truly doing good for the community.

nearly every politician, no matter what side of the fence they reside on, will say what those whose votes they want, want to hear. but when laws are being made, what it comes down to is whats in it for them, just have a look at the last bailout, the 800 billion dollar one.. the biggest stick-up in history! and we let them take it from us! in order for that to be passed, there were a large number of congressmen and women who signed only because they received something in return, and not something to help the community but instead help themselves by way of campaign votes and/or campaign donations.

don't buy into the party system, invest in truth instead.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
If a certain set of view points has enough merit, it will stand on that merit. It won't have to be provided airtime by law.

There is nothing stopping a 'Rush Limbaugh on the left' from getting out there and doing his/her thing. All depends if people want to listen to what you have to say or not.

Just because a show may have shi*ty ratings, doesn't mean you go run to the government and demand that they put your stuff back on the air. If people want to listen, and you have talent, then you should have no problems.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join