It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Note to voters: Ron Paul's multi-million investment portfolio is a big bet against the U.S. economy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I found this really interesting article about Ron Paul, I'm not sure if this has been posted yet though.

Link

In his most recent financial disclosure, which covers the year 2010, Paul had $1.6 million to $3.5 million in gold- mining stocks. He also has a stake in three bear-market funds—and has for many years.

In all, Ron Paul's portfolio amounts to a super bearish bet against the U.S. economy. If the country had defaulted on its debt earlier this month, he likely would have made a bundle. The congressman voted against House Speaker John Boehner's plan to lift the nation's $14.3 trillion spending cap.

Betting against the U.S economy seems like a safe bet, in my opinion and so far he's been winning.

I completely disagree with the author though when he says Ron Paul didn't want the debt celling raised because defaulting would increase his portfolio, in fact not raising the debt ceiling and defaulting would've done the exact opposite.

No more debt means no more dollar devaluation, meaning his gold mining stocks would go down not up. This shows that Ron Paul acted in the country's best interest when it came time to vote and not in his own.

Paul's investment strategy is a financial planner's nightmare. Most pros say that gold-mining stocks should be a small part of a diverse portfolio because the shares tend to outperform in bull markets but underperform in bear markets. Mining stocks, for example, were among the most dismal performers in 2008.

It's funny how Jim doesn't want to give him credit for actually being right, but instead he calls his a investment strategy a ``nightmare``. Anyone in their right mind would want Ron Paul's portfolio.

What do you think, is it unamerican to bet against the U.S? Should Ron Paul stick with the U.S economy even though he knows he'll lose?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Well surprise surprise, the US economy is a big ponzi scheme.

If your portfolio is a bet that it will recover and that those clowns at the FED and the treasury department will fix everything, you deserve what's gonna happen to you.

Ron Paul is betting that the US economy is a joke, BECAUSE IT IS A JOKE.

Congress, the FED, the White House won't fix what's wrong with it BECAUSE THEY ARE GETTING PAID TO.

Ever wonder why no one that caused the 2008 crash is in jail? Because most of the politicians in Washington DC would be in jail, along with their financial backers.
edit on 23-8-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
So..

Some guy invests in a economy in hopes of its failure....and there is discussion about putting him in charge of said economy?

Gee, I wonder what the result will be.

And to ops...yes, if the dollar falls, gold spikes. It would make him a very wealthy man (wealthier anyhow). Always be suspect of the money to determine motivation.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Not surprising.
He sees the state of the economy.
He sees the chances of it getting fixed.
He invests accordingly.

It just shows that he actually believes what he says when he warns of economic turmoil.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Paul is just a smart guy, he's positioned his portfolio to match what he thinks is happening/going to happen.. it doesn't mean that he WANTS it to happen, he just predicts it will and he's pretty good at being right.. I think he's trying to stop it, and voting accordingly .. but his portfolio just shows that he's convinced he's right.

Everyone really should take note and listen.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Why wouldn't he bet against the US economy? He has not been bashful in his views regarding our dismal efforts to turn around the economy. He has put his money where his mouth is, that's how I see it. We can't keep making patch jobs thinking we will eventually hit our stride again. The boom is over, it's time to work smart.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

So this man puts his money where his mouth is and the author of this article is ridiculing him for it? The problem is, if it was the other way around the author would still be ridiculing him for it! How does that statement go... "I can only please one person a day, today doesn't look good for you, and neither does tomorrow."

No matter what Ron Paul does, or his stance on the many different things plaguing this country, someone will always have a bone to pick with him about one thing or another. Keep doing what your doing Ron, because negative articles means that people are starting to stand up and take notice that you might actually be a contender this time around!

edit on 8/23/2011 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
investing strategies that profit when the markets go down does not make Ron Paul the Architect of the market destruction. It makes him a savvy investor! If other congressmen and women would have listened to him throughout the years, the system would favor investements in U.S. dollar strategies and not precious metals. He can't be to blame for the cataclysm, afterall he has been a proponent of ways to avoid this mess. But, if he can't gain support to do it the right way, why should anyone fault him for profiting from it?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Heres the deal.

He seems to think he can turn the economy around...ok cool.

Why doesn't his investments reflect that then? My opinion..he is just wisely investing, and even -he- knows he won't come close to winning potus.

Either he is a stupid investor, or a smart one..and if it is a smart investment, then nope, he himself by actions show he has no intention of getting the nomination.

So...can we finally dismantle the Ron Paul fan club then? He personally is betting against him..

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Heres the deal.

Why doesn't his investments reflect that then? My opinion..he is just wisely investing, and even -he- knows he won't come close to winning potus.

Either he is a stupid investor, or a smart one..and if it is a smart investment, then nope, he himself by actions show he has no intention of getting the nomination.

So...can we finally dismantle the Ron Paul fan club then? He personally is betting against him..

Why would we dismantle anything? If anything it should embolden his movement forward! He is putting his money where it should be in the current economic situation. You cannot change the economy from the outside the way he intends to. You have to be in the drivers seat to steer this country in the direction of change, which everyone knows he is not.
I hope this does nothing more than help people realize that this country is in desperate need of a leader that understands more than what is read off of a teleprompter.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Agreed, he beleives in what he says, and he is safeguarding his wealth. Being a fairly long standing Dr I am sure he has made some decent money, now he is trying to protect it. If things turn around he simply reinvests. Smart move. Oh, wait, he's rich, i guess he is just evil then. Odd how he is probably the most popular candidate on ATS.....which also seems to be a bastion of "if your rich, your evil".

I think he is a little wacky, but I am leaning more and more towards him. He certainly is right on about economics and finance.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
He is simply putting his money where his mouth is.

His actions follow up his words, this is a great example of an honest man.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
If he was betting FOR the US economy lol I would call him stupid.

Gold mining stocks are falling all over lol. A lot of those companie's assets are simply , GOLD, which is going to fall hard.

I invest in mining stocks, but necessary materials for the world, MOLY!.

AMEX:GMO, worth watching.

Now tech stocks, those are for morons, unless you have inside info or are in chicken stocks, such as cheap HPQ now, ORCL, undervalued, MSFT, always safe, IBM, same. AAPL, if you got in early 80s or less, GOOG, only for fanbois, no real products., ONT, google stole them and screwed the investors.

Basic materials, much easier to evaluate and safer than too hot air tech with no real products.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
So, he shouldn't be wisely investing? He should throw away his money to prove a point? Hey look at me I'm breaking myself to prove that the economy is a propped up festering waste site? I don't know about you but when I go to the track I don't bet on the horse that is limping.
edit on 23-8-2011 by Zippidee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zippidee
So, he shouldn't be wisely investing? He should throw away his money to prove a point? Hey look at me I'm breaking myself to prove that the economy is a propped up festering waste site? I don't know about you but when I go to the track I don't bet on the horse that is limping.
edit on 23-8-2011 by Zippidee because: (no reason given)

No the point is you don't put someone in charge of something they are betting against, because that
person has incentive to intentionally engineer failure.

It is called ethics

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

More over... I assume many of you would not be pleased if the currency you have were completely
debased so that a politician is able to

A. Prove a Point

B. Secure a Political Objective

C. Get Rich in the process

In my neck of the woods, such a proposal defies common sense

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

No the point is you don't put someone in charge of something they are betting against, because that person has incentive to intentionally engineer failure.

He will still come out on top even if he fixes the economy.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red

More over... I assume many of you would not be pleased if the currency you have were completely
debased so that a politician is able to

A. Prove a Point

B. Secure a Political Objective

C. Get Rich in the process

In my neck of the woods, such a proposal defies common sense

He doesn't want to debase our currency, Obama is doing that.....

Ron Paul wants sound money and no more counterfeiting.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Heres the deal.

You're making a ridiculous assertion that if RP becomes POTUS that most of his supporters believe he will automatically fix the economy. I don't think anyone with half a brain believes that.
edit on 8/23/2011 by PhantomLimb because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Ron Paul should invest in oil and defense companies if he wins the election and start a new war with another oil-rich country. Only then will his investments not be questioned.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join