It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to break-in the barrel of a new gun... Things only your gunsmith will tell ya

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I have two virgin firearms I haven't got around to trying out yet. I have a quantity of American Eagle FMJ. It's not as expensive as something like Remington. On the other hand, it's not steel casing Bear from Russia either. Is American Eagle good enough for the break in job?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Great Info. been a while since I bought a new weapon. I would have thought at this point the manufacturer's would have taken care of the break-in period. I guess not? I always shot the entire box of 20 instead of just 10 myself. It also give's you more time to adjust any scope for your weapon.especially since they are bore sighted only.
I love the old memories you stirred in me firing my first new rifle!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

As a novice to gun barrel cleaning, what is the proper method? I am nervous to use a brush that is too abrasive, or is that crazy

Please help a brother out, thanks in advance

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by speaknoevil07

Gun?
GUN!? You just bought a new GUN!?
Do pushups!

Was Household Six mad at ya and take a knife to the nether regions??

Ya bought a weapon.

Sorry Marine, but when the opportunity for this 'ol Paratrooper to correct a Marine..I gotta take it. It happens so rarely, ya know?

Have fun zeroing.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This info for breaking in a barrel comes from Kenny Jarret. He builds custom rifles, they shoot minute of angle at 1000 yards. I agree your barrel needs this to be as accurate as possible. Give it a shot, it works. My 338 Win Mag groups 2 inches at 500 yards.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Thanks for that, Devil-dog. Something that they didn't teach us on Parris Island, due to the fact that the weapons are already broken in, I guess. This post makes all the sense in the the world. As an 0311, I always respected you guys in the cage. Thanks. Keep the faith, Leatherneck.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Ahhh...Carbon and CLP...such smells bring back forgotten good memories
Semper Fi from an Army dog to a jarhead op
S&F

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I always thought this was common knowledge...guess it depends on how your raised?

Excellent info!

I did exactly as you stated when i had bought a new 308 rem 700 ADL.

I was using new UMC ammo (kept the brass LOL).

When I had done my break in (I think I"m more paranoid than you...4 boxes!) I was using fire formed reloads.

100 yards and clover leafs!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Thanks for the great tips! How did you know we just purchased a pair of home protection weapons? Since they were so expensive, I definitely want to get as much life out of them as I can, so your tips are very much welcome. I was taught a little differently, but I'm happy as heck to learn the correct way.

Thank you!
SK

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

I disagree, but everyone has their opinion.

If you want to break in a barrel, just pick up the gun and fire 100 rounds through it. After that, fire another 100 rounds. After that, fire another 100 rounds. If you gun is so pathetic that it can't handle that, then throw it away and get one that will. Your break-in process will do nothing for long term reliability or accuracy. Go buy one
and baby it your way and buy another identical one and do not. You won't see any difference. I don't even
clean mine that often. Do you wash your car after every time you drive it? No, you don't. You don't have to
baby your gun either. Only true gun nuts get this obsessive.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Does this really improve accuracy in anyway?,

and should you break in/polish shotgun barrels in anyway?
edit on 24-8-2011 by quantumdragon because: grammer

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Not only a fantastic post, but your timing could not have been more ideal. I recently accomplished a long-term personal goal and decided to reward myself with a new toy. The last one I bought was a Ruger 10-22 and I sure wish I had known this information then. I will update again when my .270 arrives.

Thank you OP!

Semper Fi, sir.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by enzomedici

And to think I was breaking in my new firearms by blowing 500+ rounds through them or until the forearm bursted into flames which ever came first. haha Most firearms are more accurate than the person shooting them.

I have a gun i'd pay you 100 dollars if you could shoot 100 rounds through, in one sitting! After 25 rounds your shoulder will look like raw hamburger meat and after 50 you might very well have a detached retina. I'm thinking these are the types of weapons the op is referring too, not the dime a dozen semi auto' s or the plinkers. Great post by the way keep them coming please. I always learn something from your posts. Thanks..

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

Originally posted by groingrinder
Great info thanks! How did you get this info? Did you tie a gunsmith up and electrocute his testicles?

No

... I am the gunsmith... retired Marine Armorer and had my own store for a while... thinking about starting up another one too... And I'm pretty found of my "Huevos" the wife likes em too...

ahhh you then must be the black smith and weapon master of the 21st century. nice post. guns can be used to kill and save. its all about the will that uses it. what they represent is power and i believe the good people of this world need to start getting more of it.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
This is news to me! thank you gunny!

I will have to do this with my new firearms, even though i'd get strange looks at the range lol.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Appreciate the tips, it's always good to have different ways to do things. Thank you for taking the time to give the information as I know nothing about guns. & if I ever got one that probably would be best to do, with my luck over here in Canada

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SNAKE13X
Thank you for your service and information. Now a question for you...If you had to do it all over again.
Would you do it again? Would you join the core?
edit on 23-8-2011 by SNAKE13X because: (no reason given)

Look that was then... this is now... I made my choice based on too many war movies and dreams of glory when I signed up.... Reality is a harsh mistress... Still I am proud of the choices I made... Honored I could be of service to my country and my brother Marines.... but would I do it again, knowing what I know.... Maybe I'd look at lot harder at the Coast Guard...???

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

This is your rifle this is your gun... this ones for fighting... this ones for fun....
Now get down and give me 50 Marine...

Ah well the good ole days... My slim sales would pitter out to nothing if I went all DI on my clients... now let me go back to playing with my gun...

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed

As a novice to gun barrel cleaning, what is the proper method? I am nervous to use a brush that is too abrasive, or is that crazy

Please help a brother out, thanks in advance

Brushes made for guns will not danage the bore .... come on we both know the manufactures would have their asses sued if they did... a pretty good little cleaning kit will have all you really need

One I really like and sell a lot of is this one...Hoppe's Deluxe Gun Cleaning Kit MSRP is around $40 when I had the shop I sold em for $29

Kit includes Hoppe's No. 9 solvent, lubricating oil, patches, three-piece brass rod, four slotted ends and five phosphor-bronze brushes to fit .22, .30, and .38/.357 caliber pistols and rifles, 20 gauge and 12 gauge shotguns. Also contains a rifle/shotgun adapter, silicone cleaning cloth and instruction booklet. Fitted into an attractive, wooden case. Finished in a rich, dark oak stain with finger joints.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
One thing i would recommend looking into is a Finnish company's invention called RVS. It is a silicate material gel that will form ceramic coatings on metal when under heat stress.

Local gun clubs and rifle manufacturers have already found it very useful (ever heard of the legendary SAKO rifles?).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join