It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portrait of a Lady - Photographer Refuses to Take Senior Pictures of Bullying 'Mean Girls'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
A case of an adult holding kids accountable for online bullying. Perhaps if more people confronted this issue as this person has and taken a stand the world would be a little better place.

Two Thumbs Up from me.

That's why one small act of courage on the part of photographer Jennifer McKendrick is making national headlines. It's the story of a small business owner who chose principles over a paying gig and taught us all what it means to "do the right thing."

I came across a page on facebook that was created (by someone under a ficticious name) thats purpose is to bully, ridicule and say mean and hurtful things about their class mates. While visiting the page, I found several teenage girls that have scheduled sessions with me for their senior pictures. I am emailing them tomorrow to cancel their shoots. I do not want them to represent my business and I am beside myself at how MEAN and CRUEL they were on that page.

Jennifer McKendrick didn't like what she saw and sent a firm message to the bullies and their parents, providing concrete proof to back up her actions. She risked her business to make it her business to repudiate bullying behavior and those who perpetuate it. Four unnamed girls in Pennsylvania may be too angry and self-centered to have learned much from her courageous stand, but in the bigger picture, we're all the better for it.

womensissues.about.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

What a stupid business decision.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I think that it is a great idea.

The woman is taking a stand for what she beleives in, and showing these people that their social behaviour is unacceptable.

I don't know how much of an effect it will have on the girls, as they will probably just go to another shoot.

But, I also feel that there may be a law suit comming on this woman. Senior pictures are a big deal, often scheduling them months in advance - if she cancled on them at the last moment, they may not be able to get their pictures taken.

While that may be acceptable to some, I find it slightly crule - we we have all done bad things as kids. I guess I would really have to know what exactly the girls said on Facebook....

Then again - it's only Facebook.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Its only facebook...

But then again kids have committed suicide over things that were posted about them on facebook.....

Somewhere there is a girl or girls who were probably traumatized by these girls, maybe on a regular basis, who knows....but people see teenagers acting out as savages and for the most part, people are afraid to say something to them for fear of being assaulted or attacked....

I give that lady alot of credit

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Jeeez being held accountable for what you say online! what a novel concept; Maybe it'll catch on and we can begin to believe stuff we read again...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by josh2009s

id give them business just because they made this decision. sometimes morals trumps money, and have unexpected results

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by josh2009s
reply to post by kro32

What a stupid business decision.

You would hold up money as a deciding factor against doing what is morally right? That sickens me, to be honest. But maybe that's just because I don't get money. Never have and probably never will. Seriously, I don't get money as I don't have a job and seeing how frakked up it is might never get another one. I've never had much money anyway during any time in my life so I really could care less about it these days.

It's her business, so why is it stupid to run it the way she wants to? If she is successful, what's so stupid about doing something that is right? Are you saying that she should become uncaring, unfeeling, like a corporation? Make her money and STFU? Do whatever it takes, no matter who gets trampled on, to make a buck?

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, just asking questions. I see things differently, it would seem.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I have to agree, good for her. I don't see how she can be sued over this, any private business owner has a right to refuse service to someone, don't they? I would definitely give her my business, based on her decision to do this.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
In small one on one(mom and pop) business there ARE customers that you don't want to deal with.Demanding folks who are never happy and will end up costing you more in stress and money than they make you. After a while you can spot these folks coming in the door.
The customer is not "always"right and sometimes they prove to be a "pain in the A&&"...
edit on 23-8-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

I said it was a stupid business decision. I said nothing of her morals. Simple fact is that she turned down business based on her feelings. That is stupid, period.

If only every business had morals. Then, these kids would be starving to death because They practiced free speech on Facebook. How stupid.
edit on 23-8-2011 by josh2009s because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Awesome!! S&F For the OP and the photographer. Nice to know there are some capitalist's out there with some ethics and morals.

As for bullies..... They should be dealt with the same way that anyone who attacks another be it physical, mental or sexual.
Bullies destroy people's lives.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

reply to post by TheLoony

I said it was a stupid business decision. I said nothing of her morals. Simple fact is that she turned down business based on her feelings. That is stupid, period.

actually no considering all the publicity she will get out of this ...

driving more customers to come to her its actual a very good business move

she will have alot of people come into her business for the fact that she stood up for what she beleives to be right and many will agree and will gladly do business with her

hell if im ever in that town i might drop in for a picture just for what she did

kudos too her !

She did nothing wrong , stood up for her principals and enforced it

seems like win win for her

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

Just as many, if any at all, will not visit her business from now on. The girls that were "bullying" probably have more pull in the community than the "photographer" that was likely a child that was victimized by bullies at a young age.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

What Chucky said, as he said it better than I could have.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Just as many, if any at all, will not visit her business from now on. The girls that were "bullying" probably have more pull in the community than the "photographer" that was likely a child that was victimized by bullies at a young age.

actually no the community will realize what these girls have done and what they were up too ..

the community will look down on them because more people are aware of the 'bullies"

this is a lose situation for these girls

and you bet your ass those girls when they grow up they will teach there kids not to bully other kids or a similiar siutation might taint there childrens name like there names have been tainted

nobody likes bullies , and this is a great way to expose them .

bullies faces turn red when the spotlight is on them ... all that toughness and thuggary seems to fly out the window when people from the community are watching

are you made because the girls arent the sweet little angels they look like ? lol

i wish more business take this into account

good people deserve good deals =)

bad people deserve ......

well you know ..

and sure bad people change

siutations like this helps too make them realize and reflect back on there actions

they might not get it now but eventually it'll click in and they will be sorry for ever bullying anyone...

there is only so much free speech you can hide behind before crossing that line and abusing someone.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I can foresee a day when many people of all ages are denied services because they have a bad internet persona. People have already been denied jobs because of their internet reputation.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
nobody said it was a stupid moral choice, but it is a stupid business move. very very stupid.. i agree with it though.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

oh ?

"So far, I have received two emails back from their parents that claimed (I'm paraphrasing) they were shocked that this had happened. They apologized that their child acted in such a way and that they would deal with the matter. So far I haven't received any backlash but I'm ready for it.."

womensissues.about.com...

apologized that their child acted in such a way ? and would deal with it ?

seems like good news to me wouldn't you say ??

i wonder how the rest of the community is reacting to it ... probably no where near your mentality

p.s

btw kro what you doing in the womens issues section ?

edit on 23-8-2011 by seedofchucky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I think the photo lady needs to get out of those peoples business. Everybody has their own dramas, and every story has two sides.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments, queries or concerns to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join