It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas drought so bad that the land is cracking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I think the title pretty much says it all. I just now found this video while searching around on Youtube for videos talking about the drought. This gentleman's backyard has extremely long, very noticeable cracks all in it. Check it out:

I find this to be sort of scary. The drought is extreme in Texas, and I've heard that there are whole fields failing to even sprout.
edit on 23-8-2011 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
texas gonna be the new africa

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Yup. that pretty much looks like my backyard. BTW, a dry heat still sucks at 110

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
I think the title pretty much says it all. I just now found this video while searching around on Youtube for videos talking about the drought. This gentleman's backyard has extremely long, very noticeable cracks all in it.

Believe it or not, that's actually pretty typical for around the DFW area in late summer. Much of DFW is sitting on black clay and when we get these long, hot, rainless summers that's what our yards look like. I've been watering the snot out of my yard and I still have some cracks like that. My neighbors' yards that aren't watered look exactly like that video clip. The cracks narrow as the go down, they're usually around 2' deep. It's hard on mowers, it's like what I would imagine driving on the moon to be like.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
Yup. that pretty much looks like my backyard. BTW, a dry heat still sucks at 110

Hey neighbor! I work in Dallas and live just east of Dallas. Not sure what you mean by "dry" heat, seems pretty wet to me
My A/C has been shedding so much water from dehumidification that it overflowed the drain pan and started dripping into the living room!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne

Originally posted by rogerstigers

Hey neighbor! I work in Dallas and live just east of Dallas. Not sure what you mean by "dry" heat, seems pretty wet to me
My A/C has been shedding so much water from dehumidification that it overflowed the drain pan and started dripping into the living room!

Yeah, I know.. it's odd.. but humidity is down to 44% right now... *shrug*

and no moisture left in our soil means the days heat up faster and get hotter.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Believe it or not, that's actually pretty typical for around the DFW area in late summer.

This is also true in the Houston area. We get these cracks every summer but there are definately more of them this year and they are deeper. There are actually toads living in them now.
We have tried rain dances, drumming and praying. We are currently looking for a virgin to toss into a volcano.

So far no luck.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Foundation repair companies are having a field day. But this too shall pass.

I've found myself praying for rain to any god that will listen, but I also find myself thinking; Could the drought be a blessing? Do we receive a lesser dose of the Fuku-fallout due to the lack of rain?

Who knows.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

lol. Which one are you all having a harder time with: finding the virgin or finding the volcano? My bet's on the first one.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Bobaganoosh

You know, that's actually an extremely good point. I've never thought of it that way before, but you are probably very right.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Definately the virgin!

Maybe we could try chucking a bottle of extra virgin olive oil into a volcano? Since no one seems to have an extra virgin.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
yeah, I've heard this unrelenting ridge of high pressure that wont leave TX is keeping the nuclear winds away, so that is a huge silver lining to this awful drought.

new topics

top topics

join