It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blame Big Labor for the Failure of Our Education System!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
This professor has hit the nail on the head and has backed it up with extensive research and definitive proof. Just look to Wisconsin for a clear illustration of the negative impact of Big Labor on education. Big Labor has been stealing from our children for generations and has existed solely to support itself. If we want true education reform in this nation, we must first address the burden that forced organized labor has placed on our system nationwide.

If you live in Ohio, you must share this information because the big vote is coming up this Fall. Let's learn from Wisconsin and follow the lead to a better education for our children. This is the foundation for true education reform. Step by step...I'm tired of constantly paying more and getting less for my children. Time to put the money where it belongs and to keep it out of the greasy hands of Big Labor.

Dr. Moe: “If you stand up for kids, you have to oppose this [collective bargaining] Schools get organized by the adults on the basis of interests and concerns that have nothing to do with kids. So, why would you expect that system to work?”

The bottom line

Dr. Moe’s research unquestionably shows that America’s children are risk because of their very own teachers’ allegiance to the NEA and AFT unions rather than education. And, until Big Labor’s influence over education is diminished, reform remains elusive.

In his presentation at the Concerned Educators Against Forced Unionism’s (CEAFU) 36th Annual Conference, Dr. Moe stated that his research concludes that it is impossible for any effective education reform to occur with teacher unions as partners in reform. He said that unions have been and will inherently remain the well-financed opposition to education reform. Professor Moe added that in our political system it is easier to block reform than to bring about reform, giving teachers unions an additional edge in preventing changes.

Professor Moe said that collective bargaining, the source of teacher union power, and teachers’ job interests, which collective bargaining enshrines, are inconsistent with reform. As long as teacher monopoly bargaining exists in public schools, effective educational reform is doomed to fail regardless of how many billions are poured into reform initiatives.

biggovernment.com...-318096

It's pretty simple really and in the aftermath of the big vote in Wisconsin and the subsequent failed attempt to recall those who support true education reform there, the children are getting the benefit. Finally.

Wisconsin Democrats’ inability to defeat three Republican incumbent state senators in the recent recall elections here in Wisconsin is a devastating loss for Big Labor. These recalls were Big Labor’s last stand and will have national ramifications for years to come…

…The early results have been staggering. Ninety-three school districts have restructured benefit costs, saving taxpayers more than $150 million. If each of Wisconsin’s school districts achieve this level of savings, statewide savings would cross the $500 million mark.

That's real savings folks. That means no teacher layoffs, hiring more teachers and reducing classroom sizes. All for the benefit of the children. All that was needed to accomplish this success for the students was a modest contribution from the teachers (12% towards healthcare and 6% towards pension) This is just the beginning.

Fortunately the fat cats from the Wisconsin teachers union, WEAC, are now feeling the pinch that they should have felt long ago.

And just this week, WEAC announced it has to terminate more than 40 percent of its employees this month. Without the forced conscription of union dues from the paychecks of the state’s public school teachers, WEAC will no longer have the funding to pay for business-as-usual. This is the first, but certainly not the last of such announcements by public employee unions here.

Which explains why Big Labor fought so hard, and spent so much money, in an off-election year no less, trying to obtain control of one branch of one statehouse in one Midwest state.

It wasn’t about evil corporations or the super-rich. For Big Labor, it was about the survival of Big Labor.

biggovernment.com...-316764
washingtonexaminer.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Being from Wisconsin....It's amazing how much crying is being done now that Walker is in office and these selfish little people have to actually slow their gravy train down. This is very simple. WE CANNOT AFFORD TO KEEP PAYING TEACHERS A LOT FOR CRAP PRODUCT!!! We can no longer afford all the damned entitlements!! We are going broke FAST!! THREE BILLION IN DEBT!! We have a HUGE public employee workforce and the truth is, half those jobs can be done by the private sector for half the money!!

I'm effing taxed enough and I cannot afford you anymore. Deal with it!! Get a private sector job...oh wiat..then you may have to actually work for a living..

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I apologize in advance, I did not watch the videos and I am in a hurry to get some errands done. I hope that my post doesn't make some obvious mistake because of my haste, but I wanted to say something before I left.

Big Labour is as much a corporate issue as Big Business; unions are corporations, just the same as GE and Apple are corporations. They represent many interested persons (shareholders, union members) under a semi-democratic elected leadership for the purpose of pooling and co-ordinating resources. The struggle between unions and the state is a counter-action against states that are controlled by business corporations. The struggle between businesses and the state is a counter-action against states that are controlled by labour corporations.

The real problem here is not that teacher's unions are ruining education. Teacher's unions represent teachers and are not directly responsible for education. Their goal is to protect educators who, by and large, care about sharing wisdom with the future generation (whether or not they are good at it or actually like children is to be decided on a case by case basis). The challenge to labour unions is that big business is always looking for ways to increase profits by slashing the incentives to work - wages, benefits, et cetera. Education has no tangible product, so it is always a target for huge budget cuts. The business lobbies always want the state to spend less on education and more on industrial subsidies.

The real problem is that children are used as bargaining chips by both sides. It is unfair to blame one side over another. If you do that, then you play into the hands of those who would gut the education system.

I personally remember when the conservative party in my stadt tried to make the education system "more efficient" by reducing costs and assaulting unions. It weakened the education system by defunding it, increasing class sizes, and demoralizing everybody. Teachers were unable to maintain order in larger classes, the quality of education dropped because resources were made more scarce, and the system was unable to keep up with technological advances that changed the educational needs of students. Under the liberal party, online education and computer/game based education became more prevalent and caught up with the students'... accelerated attention spans (like gnats, they are!). Teachers wore out faster, students lost interest faster, and the whole system became less efficient when the corporatists were in office.

I know that unions have their problems with corruption and inefficiency, but I personally prefer their vision of education over the austere vision that is positioned against them. My experience in public education has given me this view because of the way I and everyone else suffered due to systemic malaise.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Having read the article and viewed the video tape the following things can be stated about the education department and public schools in general.

Of all of the government run programs the Education department gets funding from all levels of government. It receives money from the city, county, state and federal levels, through the different taxes that are taken.

Teachers are often to be stated as underpaid, yet they are a part of a union, that represents them on a collective level, and there in lies the problem.

The role of unions in history, and how they shaped the rights of all workers can not be disputed at all, nor should it be. However, the main problem is that unions have slowly left the role of representing workers and have started to get into the political arena, often used as political pawns, giving donations to candidates. Unions have shown that as powerful as they are, they are not irreproachable, and have been implicated in different corruption charges at one time or another.

The question now, is what exactly is the role of unions, in the work force today? As demonstrated by some of the biggest unions that are in the country, they are turning out to be political machines unto themselves, often demanding that people join, or are terminated, using strong arm tactics to take money from the very people they are suppose to represent, and not all unions are equal across the board. Those in the private sector hold too much power, to the point of doing damage to a business, while those at the federal level are forbidden to strike. One could say the private sector unions hold more power in their collective barging than their constituents at the federal levels. And they wield this like a political weapon willing to strike down any who would dare speak out against them.

There are times when unions should hold that power, and use it, especially in industries what would abuse workers or where there is real need, but that is starting to get far and few between. And they should not be involved in politics. As it has been seen more and more, that the reasons for workers to strike, is due to greed, and less and less about employee rights, and is that correct?

Having worked for many years as a cashier, I was amazed at how much my counterparts who did the exact same job got paid, when they were represented by a union, yet when the chips were down, they did not want to budge an inch when it came to helping out the very employers who giving them a job. And even more so, is how fast the public at first supported the strikers, till the entire story came out and then their support eroded very quick.

new topics

top topics

join