It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Higgs boson may be a mirage, scientists hint

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I am surprised they didn't find it. still trying to bottle God to sell it in the public

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

It is exactly when there is no potential observer that the model works most perfectly of all
))
edit on 23-8-2011 by the_journey_in because: sp

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by N34Li3Z

As i've said for a long time, higgs boson is just a non existant distraction to avoid touching upon the scalar electromagnetic/quantum realm.

It's a dirty word, it's coming and there ain't much that can be done to stop it. Russians have had it in university for a while now, it's time for the rest of the world to wake up. It will potentially dissolve terrestrial power structures though. But do we want everyday man to play god, whilst he may not understand the implications of every action?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by N34Li3Z
I too don't really think the CERN LHC is for what they say it is. This is going out on a limb, but what kind of really weird things were happening on the earth (weather events in particular) BEFORE they fired up the CERNLHC?

Yeah agreed...Why would they spend 7.5 billion on something just to search for a particle? and try and create the conditions that existed a billionth of a second after the Big Bang - who cares....

Prof Brian Cox was talking about the search for the higgs and the LHC last night on BBC4 www.bbc.co.uk...

waste of time and money IMO....

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
It kinda mind boggling to me when i think about all the events that have taken place since the large collider was turned on.The intensity and frequency of these events has definitely increased.Its even crazier how this is ignored.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
so the whole thing was a waste of money?

serves them right.

looking for the "god particle" lol! fairly ironic, don't ya think?

2011, we unlocked the secrets of the universe!!! ooooooooooook.

maybe in a 1000yrs we can really get somewhere.

exceed the speed of light and then see what happens.

till then we are still in the stone age with these experiments.

just learned to fly 100yo.

when testing a hypothesis and looking for an answer:
"No" is an answer.
Sometimes a"No" is just as valuable as a :"Yes"

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Quantum science says that it "appears" to be the result of observation which collapses the wave. But shouldn't that then give them what they're looking for? If observation creates the reality?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
I am surprised they didn't find it. still trying to bottle God to sell it in the public

And here I was thinking that science just tested the product religion tries to sell to the public

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
The more 'exotic' science claims the universe to be, the more contrived and unbelievable it becomes. What we have is ad-hock, band-aid science for a flawed model (see dark matter, dark energy, dark flow, higher dimensions, branes etc). These things are just metaphors for what are essentially massive gaps in our knowledge/understanding of how the universe works.

I personally believe the riddle of the universes existence is more than likely a simple and elegant answer. That just won't do though. Too many jobs depend on it being otherwise.

IRM

Isn't that what Einstein was looking for with his unification theory?

God always takes the simplest way.

Albert Einstein
edit on 23-8-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by N34Li3Z

I believe I've been saying this would be the result now for 7 years (before I was 15, I didn't really care): no Higgs.

We have to keep in mind, though, that failure to find the Higgs would in no way be a failure of the project. When scientists test a theory, they seek to either verify it or falsify it. These are equally valuable results. The only "failure" would be an inability to complete the search given the time and money already invested.
edit on 23-8-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
The true next revolution in particle physics will be not when the Higgs boson is detected but when quarks are discovered to be composite bound states of more fundamental particles.

This theoretical physicist has already proved beyond all reasonable doubt that subquarks exist:

smphillips.8m.com...

If you have the time, spend the next few months studying his evidence. If you do, you will not be surprised when the discovery is finally made.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
With 6 billion used to build LHC we could have began mining asteroids, have several solar system ranged man spacecraft and a colony on the moon and mars by now. Shame we dont use money to ensure our survival should earth experience some catastrophy. This was a waste of money imo.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

That sounds rediculous...

How would evolution work before conciousness existed then? Does fungus or bacteria have a conciousness?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
With 6 billion used to build LHC we could have began mining asteroids, have several solar system ranged man spacecraft and a colony on the moon and mars by now. Shame we dont use money to ensure our survival should earth experience some catastrophy. This was a waste of money imo.

Nonsense:
Had they succeeded in nailing the higgs boson "to a slide" for study we may have acquired the understanding of physics allowing us to:
manipulate mass at will;
create anti-gravitation technology;
allow ridiculously fast ("mass less" travel)

There could've been many breakthroughs achieved if this one piece of the puzzle was confirmed.Instead What we seemingly learned was the standard model is "wrong".

Who knows what direction this will lead us?

It is short sighted to call any experiment a "failure":

" Edison was quoted(paraphrasing: ) after 5,000 failed attempts at coming up with a long-lasting light bulb filament:" Sir after5,000 tries aren't you ready to give up?": " Nonsense I 've now ruled out 5,000 things that won't work"!

Or they found it! stuck to the bottom of somebodies muddy boot and and stored a bunch in a peanut butter jar and We plebes will never hear of it...
("Nothing to see here at Cern ; move along").

edit on 23-8-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-8-2011 by 46ACE because: spelling errors....

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Evolution and consciousness arent linked in that manner.
But yes fungus and bacteria would have a consciousness because they react to stimuli. However, consciousness isnt the same thing as self consciousness

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
What the hell ? I swear to god they think the sheeple are stupid in the head or something. What the f*** is this

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick
It kinda mind boggling to me when i think about all the events that have taken place since the large collider was turned on.The intensity and frequency of these events has definitely increased.Its even crazier how this is ignored.

"Ignored" because it's pure " science is a bogeyman!" speculation.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der
reply to post by N34Li3Z

As i've said for a long time, higgs boson is just a non existant distraction to avoid touching upon the scalar electromagnetic/quantum realm.

It's a dirty word, it's coming and there ain't much that can be done to stop it. Russians have had it in university for a while now, it's time for the rest of the world to wake up. It will potentially dissolve terrestrial power structures though. But do we want everyday man to play god, whilst he may not understand the implications of every action?

Okay a "vector" is mathematical representation of two quantities A: 'force" and a"direction"
Each one of those two quantities is called a "scalar". So what "pray tell" is the :
"scalar electromagnetic/quantum realm".
I'm all ears ( no really,bigger than Obama's):

(psuedo science gibberish ???)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by N34Li3Z
One of the laws of thermodynamics which has always bothered me, and was reminded by your above quoted post, is that matter cannot be created, or destroyed; however, this seems contradictory to existence.

I think the big bang, and big crunch model of our universe is a pretty good one, it's simple in design and simple in it's answer to creation/destruction of our universe following suit to Occam's Razor, but the big question is "how" did this cycle process begin?

Finite does not have the ability to create or destroy matter. Once we understand that space is a material and time is a material, foundational to establishing kinetics and potential, resulting in weak and strong forces, then matter exists as harmonics. Matter will exist because space and because time exists.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

The bottem line is that the whole manifest your reality thing is just another crutch for the weak.

Sigh.... The world existed before conciousness.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join