It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fed-up San Francisco commuters battle BART protesters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Fed-up San Francisco commuters battle BART protesters

www.sfexaminer.com

San Francisco commuters appeared to have had their fill of BART protesters Monday evening, fighting back against those demonstrating against the transit agency at downtown stations and along Market Street.

The protesters, as many as 100, successfully closed down BART stations and disrupted traffic throughout the evening for the second time in a week, but this time commuters did not sit by idly.

One angry commuter took his aggression out on a group of protesters by violently hitting several before fleeing on foot.

Protesters seemed to believe they were in the right.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 23-8-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

The protest turned chaotic around sundown. People were seen on Market Street throwing stink bombs at police, while others kicked glass at Muni bus stops.

The demonstration was loosely organized by Anonymous, which has taken issue with BART’s decision to thwart a protest two weeks ago by cutting off cellphone service in the Civic Center station. The online hacking group held a similar protest Aug. 15, which closed four downtown stations and snarled commutes for thousands of people. It’s the fifth protest since Charles Hill, a transient, was shot and killed inside the Civic Center station July 3.

BART police were quick to organize and close the Civic Center station within 30 minutes of the gathering, which began around 5 p.m.

Powell station also was closed and reopened several times.

According to news reports, 30 to 40 people were arrested by the end of the 3½-hour demonstration.

Yet another protest against the BART police , it really seems that Anonymous doesnt want to let this one go. But unfortunately for Anon they seem to be p##sing off ordinary members of the public as much as the group the are trying to demonstrate against. Im not to sure why they feel they need to protest again ,maybe they decided they didnt get enough media coverage the last time?

Throwing stink bombs at the police? This is a bit childish IMO.

www.sfexaminer.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 23-8-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Having been on public transport when there's been issues I cn see both sides of the situation, firstly the protestors think they are doing it for the people - which is right to an extent.
Second the people arguing with the protestors are selfish and ignorant, but I can understand their frustrations, I want to get home as quick as I can too and if some one comes along and prevents it then yes, tempers rise.
But I'd rather have a few delays to my journey than have all my rights eroded and my privacy invaded, and to have my fone service cut off at the governments whim is wrong.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
The protesters, as many as 100, successfully closed down BART stations and disrupted traffic throughout the evening for the second time in a week, but this time commuters did not sit by idly.

These are the same protesters that a week or two ago everyone was OUTRAGED that BART had switched off the phone repeaters to not help them in coordinating the violent protests.

I maintain my stance that BART was right in not assisting violent protests that endangers human lives, and was NOT a violation of free speech.

The protest turned chaotic around sundown. People were seen on Market Street throwing stink bombs at police, while others kicked glass at Muni bus stops.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
It is illogical to call a protests that did not occur violent. But the way the media and establishment are marketing this, it is clear that is the interpretation which will prevail.

Perhaps if the local authorities actually dealt with the problem to the satisfaction of the citizens, there would be no need for protest... but since that is apparently not forthcoming, and protests will be called violent before they happen.

But notice, when a 'frustrated' non-protester goes violent - striking people.... it's a fair thing... a reasonable thing, an understandable thing.... but not a 'violent' thing.

Are we learning yet?

edit on 23-8-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
too many people with nothing to do.

i suggest community service,

immaturity, as a culture, the decay of wealthy civilizations.

people that have no problems, will invent some to entertain themselves.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
All the demonstraters should boycott BART. That way they don't interfer with the rights of citizens that need to get to work or home or just anywhere else. Why should their right to demonstrate be greater than my right to peaceful existence. Its fine to talk about first amendment rights, but what about first amendment responsibilities.

So let me get this straight...Anonomous are protesting because some guy pulled a knife and got shot by the police.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187
All the demonstraters should boycott BART. That way they don't interfer with the rights of citizens that need to get to work or home or just anywhere else. Why should their right to demonstrate be greater than my right to peaceful existence. Its fine to talk about first amendment rights, but what about first amendment responsibilities.

So let me get this straight...Anonomous are protesting because some guy pulled a knife and got shot by the police.

I agree a boycott would have been a more expedient way to make their point, as it would not have offended those who don't care about BART's overly-aggressive enforcement officers....

But on the second point..... I have to ask myself....

These two rookies spent 60 seconds trying to deal with this drunk homeless man..... before deciding to shoot him. Is that how we want our police forces to treat everyone?.... "comply or die?" Were they in a hurry? Did this stumbling blithering drunk deserve to die?.... of course he did, I am sure is the response.... one less useless eater in the world, I suppose.

BART officers' brutality have sparked riots before... but I suppose that doesn't count...

You really think these people are bored 'thrill seekers'?

You do realize that on Monday they protested again, and no one was arrested, and no one was hurt..... (by the way - BART didn't cut the power to the cell phone system that time) - I think they figured it out... as I said before - violent protest cannot be used as an excuse if there is no protest.

Sorry, I am too old-fashioned, I prefer police to police...

edit on 23-8-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Anonymous care about the police shooting people, because they recognise that if the police are allowed to arbitrarily shoot people, the next person the police decide to shoot, could be one of them.

You (and most other people) don't care about that, because you *don't* understand it. Caring about someone else being abused by government, is a form of pro-active self-defense. If you protest it, you're helping to ensure that you aren't the next person it happens to.

Very few people understand that principle now. It is always assumed that government is in the right, and that even if they weren't, it was someone else who got it, so it's not your problem; which is exactly what they want.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

You (and most other people) don't care about that, because you *don't* understand it. Caring about someone else being abused by government, is a form of pro-active self-defense. If you protest it, you're helping to ensure that you aren't the next person it happens to.
reply to post by petrus4

It is good to care about abuse from the government , but I'm not sure by protesting you are ensuring that you aren't the next person it will happen to. Do these demonstrators actually care about the people who may have been late for work, or late to get home to their children.? Not having transportation for some can have some very disastrous effects....and to expect people who count on this system to embrace the protestors is asking a bit much in my opinion.

Perhaps these protestors could find a way to voice their concerns and issues without effecting the vital transportation many people need to be able to get to work, and other important places.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Cell phone communication is a privelage.
Living is a right, drinking water is a right.

We should focus more on the more important RIGHTS being taken away.
Since when is it legalalized to OWN water ( or land and now own that water! )!!!

As for privelages, they gave them to us so taking them away isn't that important.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
What is this protest about again?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling

This protest was for BART shutting down cell phone coverage at a previous protest.

p.s anonymous are the dumbest protest/activist organisation I've ever seen
edit on 23-8-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Anonymous care about the police shooting people, because they recognise that if the police are allowed to arbitrarily shoot people, the next person the police decide to shoot, could be one of them.

Very few people understand that principle now. It is always assumed that government is in the right, and that even if they weren't, it was someone else who got it, so it's not your problem; which is exactly what they want.

In this case the government WAS right. A drunk man in a wheelchair was seen slashing car tires with a knife. When the police responded, he stabbed and wounded a police officer. The officer is STILL in the hospital. The police responded by taking him down which they are trained to do. It is reasonable to assume that because this officer's life was in immediate danger, lethal force was justified. Its not like the police shot an innocent person who was minding their own business.
edit on 23-8-2011 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

He was handcuffed and talking back to the officer. The officer who had been kneeling on his chest stood up unholstered his weapon and fired a single fatal shot at the already subdued man. That is what happened and then they tried to confiscate all the cell phones and smashed several. They killed him and tried immediately to cover up the incident. Now that officer is free and that poor guy is still dead.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I am sorry but after watching the videos, I have to say Anonymous were in the wrong when taunting and disrespecting the officers. While I agree the people should rise up, disrespecting the officers who probably were good officers just doing their jobs is not the way to do it.
kudos to the cops who held their ground and didn't do much except try to maintain the flow of the public.

Honestly the best way to solve issues is through dialogues, you want the police on YOUR side, not against you. Educate police by showing them files and your concerns through peacefull dialogue. You may be surprised at the result as I explained here in this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Thanks for another great thread PhoenixOD.

It is great to see people using their 1st amendment rights to protest peacefully.

I thought that the officers had a whole lot more patience than I would have, especially with a mega phone in some of their faces. I did see that they kept the protest on the public forum (which is the sidewalk and not the street) for the better part.

I did think that the yahoo with the megaphone took things a bit too far. He can't spell at all. I will just say he sounds like a (sound close to the Jetsons dog).

I did talk with my great grandmother some years ago before she passed regarding her personal and family history. Most of these kids have no real understanding about the true Nazi's. They definitely would not have allowed any such protest.

I hope that they arrested the parties that commited violence or broke the law (believe I heard something regarding windows being kicked out) was arrested and that the judge punishes them accordingly.

p

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by JennaDarling

This protest was for BART shutting down cell phone coverage at a previous protest.

p.s anonymous are the dumbest protest/activist organisation I've ever seen
edit on 23-8-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

Almost as if they are going out of their way to seem dumb, huh ???

Why, I wonder ???

Could it be......... nahh, no way, couldn't be...... could it ??

Strict...

edit on 23-8-2011 by Strictsum because: yep

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Ahhhhhh in a nutshell, why America is doomed.

Because if someone protesting for your rights of freedom is annoying to you because you can't get to your "job", you're the problem. To fix America it's gonna take pain, suffering, change. Your convenience has been stroked long enough. Get ready for inconvenience, it can either be to the protests and changes that save you, or into the FEMA camps with you, it's going to be inconvenient. Grow up you ignorant fools.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by thejlxc
Ahhhhhh in a nutshell, why America is doomed.

Because if someone protesting for your rights of freedom is annoying to you because you can't get to your "job", you're the problem. To fix America it's gonna take pain, suffering, change. Your convenience has been stroked long enough. Get ready for inconvenience, it can either be to the protests and changes that save you, or into the FEMA camps with you, it's going to be inconvenient. Grow up you ignorant fools.

really now? You are ready to inconvenience anyone for protests that you think will change and save us?

These protests will do nothing but take away more freedoms, and have riot police out in full force force. If anything you are making things worse .

top topics

join