It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Possible) Earthquake in East Midlands, England. Anyone else feel it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Okay so I'm slightly puzzled by whether or not this occured. I personally did not feel it.

Both my Mum and my sister both asked me this morning if I'd felt the earthquake last night, they said it happened at roughly 1:30am and managed to shake the house and knock objects like perfume bottles and deodorant bottles off the shelves. I also spoke to a couple of the neighbors, some said they felt something, others say they didn't but where awake during the time.

I will stress we live next to a very large quarry and during the day you can often both feel and hear them blasting rock underground, my only concern is, if it came from the quarry why were they blasting that early in the morning? Usually they blast around midday, not at 1:30am in the morning.

Can't find any reports in local newspapers about this so really, I don't know if it happened or not. Does anyone else in the East Midlands have any opinions? Or maybe England in general?

Eager to hear some response as this is my first posted thread :3
edit on 23/8/11 by stefplz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by stefplz

Im in England...Essex....i didnt feel anything here

It could have been loose rocks falling in the quarry maybe.........a landslide if you will.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Thanks for your response!

If it was a landslide, it must have been some pretty hefty sized rocks.

It could be the quarry, but if it was I can say we've never had that experience before, not even during the day. The blasts are never that huge that they knock things off shelves and the like.

Really odd :/

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
To have things knock over you would probabaly need a high mag 4 earthquake, which would have been reported, So it was probably something local (i.e related to the quarry)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by stefplz

It could be the quarry, but if it was I can say we've never had that experience before, not even during the day. The blasts are never that huge that they knock things off shelves and the like.

No problem

Have you checked the quarry itself today?
Whats the name of the quarry....il have a little look and see if i can find anything out

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy

Originally posted by stefplz

No problem

Have you checked the quarry itself today?
Whats the name of the quarry....il have a little look and see if i can find anything out

The nearest quarry to me is literally a mile down the road, Bardon Hill Quarry which is Agregate Industries. I might drop them an email, see if they have any information as I can't find a local website for that particular quarry, only for Aggregate Industries itself. It's a working day so they should get back to me (I hope) pretty quickly.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
nothing to see here

I don't know how accurate this is, but are you sure it wasn't just a lorry going by the house?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers
nothing to see here

I don't know how accurate this is, but are you sure it wasn't just a lorry going by the house?

Hahah I'm 100% sure that a lorry wouldn't be driving around an estate late at night. We're not on a main road so there would be no lorries driving around here at that time in the morning.

Your link is exactly why I'm stumped. It's not been reported anywhere but speaking more and more with the neighbors more people felt it too. As mentioned I'm hopefully trying to contact our nearest quarry and see if they can put a rest to the claim.

And in typing that last sentence I recieved an out of office reply from Bardon Aggregates. Just my luck

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by stefplz

spookily enough I woke up last night at around that time and figured it was a lorry or something, we get them from bardon quite regular past my house(not gonna publicly say where that is though, lol) perhaps there was something else???

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I'm in the East Midlands and didn't feel or hear anything. Whatever it was, it wasn't enough to wake me up.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by lammypie999
reply to post by stefplz

spookily enough I woke up last night at around that time and figured it was a lorry or something, we get them from bardon quite regular past my house(not gonna publicly say where that is though, lol) perhaps there was something else???

Ah well as I mentioned I'm talking to Bardon via email, I'm guessing that it has something to do with the Quarry as the noise seems quite isolated to this area. I finally got a response so I'm hoping they can clear it up. Just seems a bit strange for the quarry to be operating at that time in the morning.

Nice to see someone else had that experience and not just us (although knowing my luck you live five doors down from me
)
edit on 23/8/11 by stefplz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I'm east and never heard a thing.

Hope you find out what it was.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by stefplz

that'd be scary, i live not far from stevensons way, so a lot of the wagons come along there and we feel them quite regular, for the record,,, i only have four fingers and a thumb

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by lammypie999
reply to post by stefplz

that'd be scary, i live not far from stevensons way, so a lot of the wagons come along there and we feel them quite regular, for the record,,, i only have four fingers and a thumb

Ah yeah you're not far from me at all. I live in the 'Nook. I'm sure you'll know where that is. For the record I have four fingers & a thumb, and a job

Anyway I'll wait for this email reply (if it ever comes) and get back to you all, time to pack for my excursion to Leeds.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Just had a reply from a lovely lady at Bardon Hill Quarry.

I'm based here at Bardon Hill Quarry. At that time of the morning, we would not be operating, just plant maintenance being carried out.
We certainly wouldn't be blasting as we are not allowed to blast in the dark flower.

Looks like you may have had a small tremor....

So it didn't come from the quarry, and I'm apparently a flower.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by stefplz

How weird, although, have you ever looked at how many mines there are under this area, place is riddled with them, could be something to do with that. where i work is near the old mine at the discovery park, and i swear when a big lorry comes past it feels like the whole office is gonna drop through the floor.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by stefplz

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Does this help?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by lammypie999

or this.....?

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

good spot, but these appear to be in the wrong places and times

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I live in Long Eaton on the Nottingham / Derbyshire border, i was awake playing poker at 1.30 am and did not feel anything. Also dont know anyone who felt it either???

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join