It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Mars 'rock' with concrete reinforcing rods in it. - Unless you know otherwise.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I just thought I would share with you some examples of what looks like concrete reinforcing rods. These are sticking out of the end of a 'rock' on Mars. I have posted these pictures in other places and no-one seems to have any idea what they can be - except for reinforcing rods - which of course is ridiculous on Mars. So, those who do not believe, I would like you opinion on these please. Today, I have even found another example too (although not as good as the first one).

Details are as follows:
Sol 2161 site AB
Camera Pancam

First of all 3 different views of the same 'rock'
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ae6675d03226.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/697cf9868743.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eeecb1a5cf88.png[/atsimg]

Another not-so-good example of a different 'rock'
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ab8461c385ec.png[/atsimg]

and these might be pipes instead
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d9fb4e6dcba2.png[/atsimg]

Although the reference is printed on each picture, the link to one of these images is
h ttp://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/1/p/2161/1P320037373EFFABEIP2379L2M1.JPG
and you can continue on from there by using the utilities and research thumbnail program at this website. Plug in the appropriate values start at 21 Feb 2010, Site AB, highlight Pancam and click on Opportunity, then Search button

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I think its just layers in the rock

This rock is from the same image

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1d50bdea583d.jpg[/atsimg]

Each layer is generally one of a number of parallel layers that lie one upon another, laid down by natural forces. They may extend over hundreds of thousands of square kilometers of the Earth's surface. Strata are typically seen as bands of different colored or differently structured material exposed in cliffs, road cuts, quarries, and river banks. Individual bands may vary in thickness from a few millimeters to a kilometer or more. Each band represents a specific mode of deposition: river silt, beach sand, coal swamp, sand dune, lava bed, etc. it also is very important
Stratum link

Sharpening the image helps a bit

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e1033225a557.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 23/8/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Maybe, but how do you account for each 'rod' being circular and there are at least 6 spread around the end of this 'rock'. If they were formed due to the natural layers being laid down over time, you would not have circular 'rod-like' protrusions. If it is due to a sedimentary process, why dont we see more of this kind of thing there? Perhaps there are examples of this process producing circular 'rods' in rocks on Earth, so that we may compare.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Wow cool pix. It does look like rebar running through a concrete rock, but I've seen some pretty weird shaped rocks in my day so could be from erosion with out boots on the ground or a sample there is no way to tell just from a photo imo but man what an awesome photo does make the imagination run wild S&F for this interesting photo for sure thanks for posting it. really digging ur find.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I believe from this perspective it looks like one of those protrusions might be further back beyond the rock in question.

It's hard to tell without another angle.

But really, what's so hard to believe about the US being able to send a robot to take pictures of Mars?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
Maybe, but how do you account for each 'rod' being circular and there are at least 6 spread around the end of this 'rock'. If they were formed due to the natural layers being laid down over time, you would not have circular 'rod-like' protrusions. If it is due to a sedimentary process, why dont we see more of this kind of thing there? Perhaps there are examples of this process producing circular 'rods' in rocks on Earth, so that we may compare.

The 'rods' don't actually look that circular to me in the sharpened image but wearing by wind and sand could round the edges I expect. i don't see 'rods' though I see layers with the softer stone worn away

here is a similar effect on earth

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/101bb14a7fab.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 23/8/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

From an Engineer's standpoint: Certain layers of rock are harder than the others. Erosion has worn certain portions faster than others. Definately not rods for reinforcing concrete.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

I agree with the Op.

Images 1 and 2 to me represent rebar in a formed frame setting, the external form factor looks highly eroded, however the basic construct of the rebar frame remains intact.

Good find.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
IMHO without evidence and based on other natural things i have seen they look quite normal as certain rock formations can go. I remember a story about a supposed cave found in China that appeared to have conduit and such within the rock. Do not know if that ever was debunked or talked about since then, but it leads me to wonder if it was the same type of occurrence in natural rock like in this post (if it is in fact natural or not).

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Yes, it is interesting how this is polarising the two sides. One says that it is normal rock and the other says it is maybe rebar. If I had only found one example, then I could possibly be persuaded, but two examples and different looking stretch the bounds of possibility a little. I agree, if you believe what the space agencies tell you, then it IS a little difficult to believe it could be anything un-natural.

The formation of pillars of rock is nothing like this. What was suggested was that the sediment was harder than the rock and it had been worn by exposure to the wind and weather down to leave the exposed 'rods' all looking the same and at roughly the same length. The weathering only acting on one end of the rock. No, just doesn't convince me I am afraid.

This may have some merit but there is very little evidence of much wind erosion freeze/thaw erosion on Mars. Everyone points to the videos and images of the dust devils but there is no evidence to suggest that there are high winds - other than this. Look at the buildup of soil around all the rocks (there isn't any worth talking about). Look at all the dust and debris collecting in corners blown by the wind(there aren't any). The blueberries are still in their original places after millions of years. You would have thought that if there was a wind of any kind, then these **small** light blueberries would be blown into piles in the lee of rocks, but they are not, they are scattered everywhere.

So, we are in need of more theories why it cannot be concrete rebar I believe. I can give you lots of Earth examples of rebar if anyone needs them to be convinced.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Usually I scoff at these types of threads, but this one actually looks pretty interesting.

A few observations though:

The "re-bar" is in nice straight lines. If this was from old construction that had been destroyed, you would expect to see the re-bar twisted, not just neatly cut off as it appears in the picture.

Do things rust on marks? I know the red soil is supposed to be from rust, so I assume at one point things did, but I'm ashamed to say I'm not aware if something would currently rust on mars. If it would, then I'd imagine after so long the metal would be almost completely rusted away, or at least swollen much more to the point of looking much different, and fracturing the rock even more.

When re-bar rusts it expands, which forces apart the concrete. This doesn't appear to be an issue with the thing in the picture. Of course, it could be a metal other than steel, but who knows.

Do we know how large this rock is?

Another interesting aspect is the vertical slit/crack on the left side of the rock. It seems to go through the whole way, and is pretty darn near perfectly straight. I know that doesn't mean it can't be natural, but interesting nonetheless. Plus, with the crack going through all the way, you'd think the rock would fall apart. If there was re-bar going through the rock, that would explain why it's still intact. Perhaps this was a joint where two slabs or pieces of building material came together.

I don't think there anything conclusive. The top piece of "re-bar" isn't even round shaped, it starts out larger and then reduces down to a smaller point. It all looks like one piece, to me.

Cool images, and who knows it could be something, but I don't think there is really much to go on here.

new topics

top topics

join