It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RSOE EDIS Hazmat - FBI on hunt for stolen Nuclear Camera in Texas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   

RSOE EDIS Hazmat - FBI on hunt for stolen Nuclear Camera in Texas

hisz.rsoe.hu

The FBI is on the hunt for this radioactive camera, not only because it was stolen, but because it's a threat to public safety. Authorities say call 9-1-1 immediately if you see it, because everyday this camera goes missing could be a chance for radioactive exposure or contamination. Inside the camera is the radioactive material: Iridium 192. According to the Centers for Disease Control, exposure to IR 192 can increase the risk for cancer, cause burns and even death. The handheld xray machine was ripped off at a city construction site in Austin. "They open up this device and force it open th
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
This incident happened in Texas. Someone in the State of Texas appears to be out stealing nuclear material. However, they don't seem to really know what they are targeting. Regardless, it would seem to lay the ground work for a dirty bomb terrorist attack in the near future. False Flag ground work? Or possibly a cell or a lone wolf acquiring material for a dirty bomb. Something to keep track of.
This event occured: HAZMAT in USA on Tuesday, 23 August, 2011 at 03:15 (03:15 AM) UTC

hisz.rsoe.hu
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 23/8/11 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Oh f*** just some more things for me to panic about...........

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
The camera is capable of being used in the oil and gas industry to see pipe conditions, etc and may have been stolen to sell to someone in the oil and gas business. I doubt they will be able to sell it with the FBI and law enforcement on the lookout for it. It will be worth keeping tabs on and to see if any other nuclear device or material is stolen. I don't think there would be enough material for a dirty bomb, but then I don't know how much would be needed.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

I don't think there is enough material to be worried about. But it would be interesting to see if it is found or if other nuclear material is stolen. It might give us a clue as to what it was grabed for. Someone out to make a fast buck trying to sell to someone in the industry, or for more nefarious reasons. I wouldn't be in the worry mode just yet...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by spirit_horse

I don't think there is enough material to be worried about. But it would be interesting to see if it is found or if other nuclear material is stolen. It might give us a clue as to what it was grabed for. Someone out to make a fast buck trying to sell to someone in the industry, or for more nefarious reasons. I wouldn't be in the worry mode just yet...

You got a point, but s*** what is wrong with this world ?
I'm not worrying yet but what the hell do you need a nuclear camera for ? It's not like you can film something and put it on youtube. What is going on ? Maybe he stole it to see Fukushima in the air, I don't know
edit on 23-8-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
???? is this a test of the 'emergency broadcast' system currently working against them

no really, think about this for a moment ...
construction site vs security ~~ been to many and security is practically non-existent
"hand held" instrument ~~ who in their right mind leaves a hand-held anything on an unprotected construction site? (do keep in mind, as a city project, that's Your tax dollars at work + FBI involvement, more of your taxes at work
)
why was the unit at a construction site in the 1st place?
i doubt they were constructing oil pipes.
so ok, it's missing ... no dispute there but, an accident? ... got a hard time believing that one.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

The camera is capable of being used in the oil and gas industry to see pipe conditions, etc and may have been stolen to sell to someone in the oil and gas business. I doubt they will be able to sell it....

I'm going to assume you don't know how things work in Texas...

It's still kinda like the wild west there, you wouldn't believe how sophisticated the "good ole boy" network is there
these days. Personally, I don't think it's for a dirty bomb, plenty of other sources other than one camera, or even stealing these cameras (plural) to get materials needed. I think it's a case of black market selling to the highest shadow bidder. Just my opinion, because there are easier ways to obtain radioactive material, but it is interesting that the FBI is on a manhunt for a single camera.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Iridium 192 is used in construction and mining to locate flaws in metal components, particularly welds.

Plus it's used in radiotherapy.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by N34Li3Z
I think it's a case of black market selling to the highest shadow bidder. Just my opinion, because there are easier ways to obtain radioactive material, but it is interesting that the FBI is on a manhunt for a single camera.

I agree. My hubby worked with welders who used x-ray equipment to check for cracks in welds, some jobs require it. I don't think a buyer would be hard to find in this economy.

With the yahoos in DC selling our jobs off to the highest bidder, the black market is only going to get bigger. Imo this is along the same lines as copper thieving but the radioactive content makes it FBI business.

I bet that moron is crapping his pants right now. Reminds me of that guy in repo man driving around with that glowing thing in his trunk. Hope he's not heading for Colorado.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
its for inspecting welds for porosity and incomplete fusion. you don't want flaws in a high pressure piping system. i was working on a powerplant a few months ago as a welder and i saw the xray machine operators going around.

no doubt someone stole it to sell it. you would be surprised at how far people go to steal things from jobsites. some people cut up welding leads into foot long sections and smuggle a few pieces out every day in their lunch boxes to sell for scrap metal (copper is expensive). people steal tools, drill bits, grinding wheeles, laser levelers, stainless steel etc.

i can almost guarantee it was stolen by someone looking to make a bit of money.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
i think their best chance to find it would be at night, so they can look for anyone that is glowing..lmao....just kidding. that's really scary...having that thing loose in public poses a serious threat..no matter how big or small it is...radiation exposure/nuclear burn isn't something that needs to be taken seriously...even small-scale exposure can be deadly

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
It's for NDT. Probably worth much more intact, as such equipment tends to be on the expensive end.

Now if somebody wanted to make a dirty bomb, they'd probably have better luck collecting old smoke detectors.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by N34Li3Z

The camera is capable of being used in the oil and gas industry to see pipe conditions, etc and may have been stolen to sell to someone in the oil and gas business. I doubt they will be able to sell it....

I'm going to assume you don't know how things work in Texas...

It's still kinda like the wild west there, you wouldn't believe how sophisticated the "good ole boy" network is there
these days. Personally, I don't think it's for a dirty bomb, plenty of other sources other than one camera, or even stealing these cameras (plural) to get materials needed. I think it's a case of black market selling to the highest shadow bidder. Just my opinion, because there are easier ways to obtain radioactive material, but it is interesting that the FBI is on a manhunt for a single camera.

"The wild west" REALLY? I currently live in Texas and have lived all over the U.S., it's just like anywhere else. You are mistaken. I stayed in Austin for 19 years and my guess would be that some punk kids stole it because they thought it looked cool and dont really know what they have. Just my opinion though.
edit on 23-8-2011 by billy197300 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-8-2011 by billy197300 because: m.s. lol

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
LOL this is funny, its funny if someone is going to attack America again and get all of you westerners crying and uptight and anal again, as if you all allready aren't anal enough as it is, ooo nooo someone attacked us and killed three thousand people ... whoop whoop , do you know how many people die per day in Africa, killed by drug lords for food and resources, you Americans think you are untouchable, hahaha wait until the whole world turns its back on you and your idiotic government, it will happen soon enough, then what will you do with your failing economy, oo maybe threaten everyone with nuclear attack, lol ala akbar stupid Americans

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by warehouse7
LOL this is funny, its funny if someone is going to attack America again and get all of you westerners crying and uptight and anal again, as if you all allready aren't anal enough as it is, ooo nooo someone attacked us and killed three thousand people ... whoop whoop , do you know how many people die per day in Africa, killed by drug lords for food and resources, you Americans think you are untouchable, hahaha wait until the whole world turns its back on you and your idiotic government, it will happen soon enough, then what will you do with your failing economy, oo maybe threaten everyone with nuclear attack, lol ala akbar stupid Americans

I highly suggest that you shut your pie hole.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Perhaps it is a show of will? If so these people do not have the real power they would like to have. Sad that the security is as much a problem as it is. This is not only a problem in the US you know...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Has no one asked the following?:

1) What exactly the camera looks like, y'know, in case we find it?

2) Why there've been no links from the FBI itself, just a Hungarian (if that's .hu) link?

3) ...why do they say iridium is "inside" the camera specifically, rather than, like, just saying it's irradiated by iridium? That implies a lump of something in the camera is the ONLY problem, rather than a great glowing Kodak that some idiot may (come on, you know how things turn out) halve his life-span with by taking some family snaps/dodgy action in the woods with...
edit on 26/8/2011 by Kolya because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
The iridium is a small can/ bead on the end of a stout cable like a trolling leader. I doubt it was really stolen more likely secretly sold or disposed of... Using the source for a terror device would result in little more than the minor nuicence hiring people to find the source button and put it in a tungsten bottle. The momentary exposure to do this will be somewhat worse than a few dental x-ray's I smell a false flag coming.

new topics

top topics

join