It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghosts And Imprints On Space/Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   
okay, I promised I'd make this a seperate topic.

We here reports of apparitions 'on certain nights' or 'always doing this one thing' for instance, in my area we have a road called 'Stagecoach Rd'. Every full moon, and also when it is rather foggy outside, a lady in white can be seen walking the length of the road searching the brush for something. The legend goes she is looking for her baby that fell from a carriage, or something.

My theory goes like this.

Traumatic events, and events that are repeated over and over again in this lifetime by people with particularly strong spirits, have the ability to leave a lasting impression on the fabric of space/time, whether through a quantum level or simply as a 'recording' in Earth's magnetic field. After a person of this type passes on, the impression of the event or repetitive action causes the event to be replayed when certain atmospheric conditions are met.

In cases such as a haunted hotel where a past visitor is seen always wearing xx dress and walking up and down the hall on xx floor, usually the atmosphere in the hotel doesn't chnage much, so the required conditions are almost always met.

Thoughts on the theory? Have any of you had any similair thoughts?

Your mileage may vary

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by everlastingnoitall
Traumatic events, and events that are repeated over and over again in this lifetime by people with particularly strong spirits, have the ability to leave a lasting impression on the fabric of space/time, whether through a quantum level or simply as a 'recording' in Earth's magnetic field. After a person of this type passes on, the impression of the event or repetitive action causes the event to be replayed when certain atmospheric conditions are met.

I think you should refine and extend your theory a bit if you want a testable theory. I'm going to assume ghosts are real and witness reports are right. This is not my real opinion.

We need a medium that can store information and reproduce that information at a later time in the form of visible or infra-red light. This information must contain a representation of an event in three dimensions (because ghosts look different from different perspectives). From what I have read, it seems to me that ghosts look like normal people but transparent. Because you don't see the insides of the ghosts, it seems to me that the information stored is the light of the event and not the event itself.

Let's start with your suggestions of a medium. The fabric of space and time would be spacetime. In general relativity, spacetime only has one property and that is curvature. In quantum gravity there may be other properties, but current effects can't show those other properties yet. Unless you want ghosts to be caused by gravity, I don't think you want to use the fabric of space and time as a medium. Gravity also can't produce light.

Another option presented by you is the magnetic field of the earth. It could ionize air, if it were strong enough, and the recombinaton of ions and electrons can produce visible light. But the magnetic field of the earth is way to weak.

My suggestion is that electromagnetism is at least involved in ghosts. Ghosts are in the form of light and I don't think other processes than electromagnetic can account for the light. Chemical sources (fluorescence or chemical reactions creating light) are probably not responsible, because the chemicals required are not in the air of haunted places. That's why I think that electromagnetism causes the light, either by currents that ionize the air or other processes. This is a testable hypothesis.

The problem is that there usually aren't electromagnetic fields around with enough energy or that can store the information. Maybe you need to introduce another field that affects electromagnetism. The problem is that no such fields have been found so far. Your opinion that atmospheric conditions trigger the ghosts also becomes a problem, because you would have to find out a way for the new field to be affected by the atmospheric conditions. Electromagnetism is much more easily affected by the atmospheric, through humidity and temperature.

This is all just speculation, and not even speculation that I think is true. But my point is that we've had so much vague ghosts theories already. You have to clarify yourself and get so tenable ideas and testable hypotheses.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Understood. Just a thought, I was hoping someone with a lot more knowledge of such things would answer. thank you.

This is just a thought I've been kicking around for a while. there seem to be two categories of ghosts.

The ones that do pretty much whatever they want, whenever they want, and then there are the ones that seem to be bound to repeat events over and over again for eternity. I was just speculating that maybe there is a medium, discovered or remaining as yet undiscovered, that would allow these second, repetitive types to be imprinted on the locale in some way, and not, in fact, true hauntings.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

[edit on 20-8-2004 by everlastingnoitall]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I don't know what an imprint in time consists of but I do know I have something in my house that has followed me from house to house.I have pictures of it and it has moved things in my house. It has also pulled my hair and my children see it and talk to it. I have heard speak.It plays jokes on us by hiding things and them reappearing later. Can your imprints per say do this? I believe ghosts exist from experiences I have had. Or maybe both exist?

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonFly5
Can your imprints per say do this? I believe ghosts exist from experiences I have had. Or maybe both exist?

I think that ghosts is too broad a term. I think these imprints, however unexplained, are just that. Imagine a video on a TV screen. The images are encoded recreations of the past. They have no conciousness or sentience but just light. You cant interact with them and you can't affect their outcome. They follow the same pattern every time you play it. Perhaps there is some undiscovered medium that can trap a recording of light and recreate it under ideal conditions. Perhaps not. But we can't test it until we isolate such an occurance that you can set your clock by.

The other category of ghosts are even more mysterious and unbelievable. These are the ones that Dragonfly is refering to. They appear to have a mind of their own, a clear consciouness. Their actions aren't bound to a script to be mindlessly repeated under specific conditions. You can possibly interact with them, and they can interact with you. This seems to be "true" life after death. But it seems to be a moot point since both categories are quite camera-shy.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
DreamReality, you nailed it! That's exactly what I was trying to express. there has to be some method or medium (as yet undiscovered or deciphered) that allows certain events to be captured and 'replayed'

Thank you for your expounding thread post!

I do believe ghosts exist, but this is an entirely different phenomenon.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Also, take into consideration the surrounding environment... is it near running water, large deposits of quartz or granite..? all these things can naturally create and/or emit low level EM feilds..

Remember, is it real, or is it Memorex??

new topics

top topics

join