It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is nobody willing to say, "I don't know?"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

This is a problem with most every thing today. Nobody wants to say they don't know. I tell my boss and clients all the time " I don't know, but I will find out". Try going in a store and asking for an item that is hard to find. They will never say "I don't know". They will speculate and tell you this like it is fact.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Because some of us are here on ATS to Deny Ignorance

I dunno is not exactly a scientific conclusion, for no science or scientific methods have been applied to reach this conclusion.

It is mere unscientific conjecture.

Mankind has witnessed this phenomenon throughout history, and also way before man had an inkling of scientific knowledge of aerodynamics and flight.

Or the means in which to manufacture them.
We were still forming spear tips out of stone.

So that pretty much disputes the man made hypothesis at least as far as ancient man is concerned.

There is a considerable amount of evidence of ancient cultures interacting with people from other worlds.

The Dogon tribe of Africa understood the details of the constellation of Sirius Star Cluster before the Telescope had even been invented.

They had said that there were 6 stars and not until recent developments in Telescope technology did we finally discover the 6th star...prior to this we could only could locate 5 of the stars..

Where do we claim our own God resides ? IN terra ferma or in the Heavens ?

By simply Defaulting to I don't know only perpetuates a system of denial ....denial of the truth.

...denial of the truth without any scientific basis and exactly where the Govt. would prefer us to remain, and that is to continue to be misinformed and ignorant feeders.

For if we to learn the truth, that the Govt. hasn't any control over these things... it would disrupt their entire system of control over us.

Maybe that is why nobody is willing to say "I don't know".

For the Truth Shall Set You Free.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I firmly believe something is here, that isn't us.

However, I have no idea what that is. "Aliens" is a convenient reason. Not an unreasonable one, either. But I am ready to accept it's something else entirely. Dimensional theories, I suppose time travel, although I don't lean that way. Might be something we've never thought of. It's always fun and interesting to speculate however.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I dont know why.......

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
we can sit here all day stating "i don't know", but what does that accomplish and get done? nothing. people who say "i don't know" give up, and are quitters. how are we supposed to advance if we do this? its like hitting the easy button. there is Obviously something out there watching us. i may not know what it is yet, but i can see them with my own two eyes on our horizons.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Honestly, I think sometimes, some people, need a black or white answer to feel safe.
Without knowing with some certainty what is going on in the world, there is sometimes a fear.
Perhaps it's a matter of having the need to control what goes on in our lives. Without feeling like we have everything under our control there is less security.

Saying I Don't Know, means, admitting that one doesn't have it all under control.

Is this true for everyone who takes a side on any particular matter? No, not at all.
Sometimes, yes, the evidence is there or not and they call it for what it is. But then again...that also goes into a different discussion. The matter of evidence and faith and whatnot.
What kind of evidence and how much of it is good enough for an individual to call it?
I.e. people are different in what makes them tick and what they need to get through life. Some can challenge previous held beliefs without cracking, others need to hold on to that for dear life. And that makes a difference in what they do with evidence presented to them.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

hows that off topic

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
In the industry I work in "I don't know" is not only prudent, it's necessary. Better no information than bad information. I don't see why that wouldn't translate to other areas of life.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Actually I think most of us admit we don't know. I actually saw one of the classic saucers in the 1960's up close and for many minutes. "I don't know" what it was. So, "I don't know" is a simple statement of fact.

To date not one person who claims to have met an Alien can show any proof of any kind. Did they meet an Alien? I don't know? Are the reasons they cannot provide proof real or are they all lying or mentally ill? I don't know?

Works for me. I can't see any reason a reasonable person would take exception to this. Those who do have too much emotional baggage to have good judgement.

You also have to separate the charlatans using this topic to line their pockets, those who tell stories to gain attention and the children hoaxing on YouTube from the topic altogether. Their posts are just a nuisance to be ignored. They have no interest in anything other than being in the spotlight or making fun of the topic.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Required01

You missed the point.

If I don't know what something is. If I don't have any ideas about what something is or may be, what's the point of saying "I don't know?" What does that contribute to the discussion?

I generally agree with your posts and they are often similar to what I might of posted. I think here you have taken this far too literally. Conversations outside the rigid framework of science, do advance science. That has been proven over and over again throughout history. New knowledge tends to come from those who do say "I don't know" and go looking.

The value in saying I don't know is in its honesty. Realizing we don't know seems to me to be the first step towards asking the questions that lead to the knowledge we are after. Would not science have evolved faster had not more people in science admitted I don't know? Would the transition from Flat Earth to what we know now not have happened faster if science had adopted the mantra - we don't know?

Lord knows that most of the heated debate around here stems from people who falsely state they do know. But then "I DON'T KNOW".

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Do you ignore all testimony, or only that which describes something other than lights in the sky? There are plenty of reports of objects that have no lights whatsoever. There are also many that are not in the sky.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I don't know.
I just don't know.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

I don't know either.

Please let me know if you get an answer, ok?

edit on 24-8-2011 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rekrul
we can sit here all day stating "i don't know", but what does that accomplish and get done? nothing. people who say "i don't know" give up, and are quitters. how are we supposed to advance if we do this? its like hitting the easy button. there is Obviously something out there watching us. i may not know what it is yet, but i can see them with my own two eyes on our horizons.

But claiming to know something you don't doesn't accomplish anything but creating a false sense of security and closes the mind to further investigation.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

I'm brand knew to this site(this is my third post) and I coud'nt agree with you anymore if I tried, you expressed almost word for word the way I interpret these lights, spaceships, call them what you want.
I just finished reading a book on basically what you were saying thought you might like it, its called THE UFO DIARIES by Martin Plowman, give it a go.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I don't know is seen like 'giving up' on the question rather than putting in the research. The best you can do is offer a suggested response to what you believe something is and it will change with research and time. The UFO thing is probably the one filled with the most 'muck' in terms of insane stories that would make more sense in a bad twilight novel.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join