It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Why is nobody willing to say, "I don't know?"

page: 1
10
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
One thing that I don't understand about the UFO phenomenon, is that everybody, whether skeptics or believers in the alien interpretation, insist on doing, is claiming that they know what these things are caused by.

I don't know what they're caused by. To me, that is the truly honest, scientific answer.

All I am seeing is lights in the sky. I am not seeing anything that implies any particular cause or explanation, whether extraterrestrial or otherwise. That doesn't mean that I am adopting the swamp gas, geese, or meteor debunking, as to me it is quite clear that a lot of these lights could not be plausibly given any of those explanations.

I'm trying to follow where the evidence leads here, and the only directly provable evidence I have, is just that; lights in the sky. There is nothing within or connected to that evidence, that to me supports an extraterrestrial hypothesis at all, but truthfully, there is also nothing associated with it that really supports any terrestrial or natural hypothesis either.

I'm asking other people here, to have the necessary humility, detachment, and intellectual integrity to also be willing to say that they don't know what is causing these sightings, either...because we really don't. I'm aware of the Disclosure Project, and certainly the credentials of most of the interviewees lends them credibility, yes; but for the sake of honesty, we must concede that even their testimony is not directly falsifiable by most of us.

We truly do not know what is behind this.




posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4
 


I dont say i dont know because i ALWAYS research.

Normally its something mundane....like the thread ive just came from where someone has filmed a tower crane at night from a few miles away on a camera phone.

After some digging, and 10 mins of looking through the internet it is almost certainly a tower crane.

99.999999999% of UFO's can be explained, but you have to want to know the answers. Some will take a video on face value...i dont, and there are plenty of other people who dont.

If i dont know i go out of may way to know......i wont go to UFO sites and compare there, i start off with earthly things...like planes, choppers, bugs etc. A lot of videos can be debunked/cleared up through using this method



posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Some people have had their own personal UFO sightings and even possibly have seen an alien from another planet too.....so they can't say..."I don't know"....because they do. ATS can be a tough audience....so I am thinking that is why more people don't share their personal experiences.

Also....I think that many are seeing man made UFO's that are being tested....why they were built exactly...I just don't know.



posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I've seen a UFO.
But hey, I dont know.



posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
Some people have had their own personal UFO sightings and even possibly have seen an alien from another planet too.....so they can't say..."I don't know"....because they do. ATS can be a tough audience....so I am thinking that is why more people don't share their personal experiences.

Also....I think that many are seeing man made UFO's that are being tested....why they were built exactly...I just don't know.


I think many people are seeing what they want to see....or just dont understand how some things work and look.

I dont think many people even bother to look for a logical explanation nowadays, they just say its a UFO and want a pat on the back for their poor quality footage.

UFO does not mean its alien, it normally means they cant identify something like a light on top of a building, or that when they use digital zoom it buggers up the image to a point where it distorts the image so much it looks like something its not.



posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4
 

Because most people who like this web site are not people who like to "think scientifically."

If you don't have a lab and a research grant, thinking like a "scientist" can get boring pretty fast.

Thankfully, on the particular subject you mention, we don't have to be bored. We just have to DENY IGNORANCE!

There is SO MUCH information on this subject from so many people, including plenty of scientists, that for those who don't have direct personal knowledge of the phenomenon, we could keep busy studying all that data for a long time.

If you really want to KNOW what's up with UFOs, try just wishing (or praying) every day that you will see one and meet the occupants. Maybe it will happen to you. But if you would be content to learn more about the subject, as most of us have chosen, then just Google your way to a web site and start reading or listening.



posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy
 


well thats what UFO stands for right?
i dont call them alien craft
who knows what tech we have these days
black ops secret stuff ad all that



posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Because they don't want to say "I don't know", if I don't know I call it a UFO, an unidentified flying object, simple as that. What meaning you put to that word, is up to you. It's simply unidentified by me.

However, many tend to favor the 'most plausible' explanation. But that can be wrong, 99.99999% of the time, if you'd like.

But to be honest, I don't know for certain, but I have my theories..


Peace
edit on 23-8-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by philware
reply to post by loves a conspiricy
 


well thats what UFO stands for right?
i dont call them alien craft
who knows what tech we have these days
black ops secret stuff ad all that


Yep, thats what it means, but its normally used to describe something extraterrestrial.....or to give the impression its extraterrestrial.

"I saw them communicating with each other, they are being controlled by intelligent BEINGS"
" They cant be of this world, look at how they move"

People not understanding things brought about religion dont ya know lol



posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Actually, I've seen a few UFOs. What were they really? I don't know, can only base on opinion of other similar stories, what friends/family have seen with and without my presence and mostly my own account. Where they unidentified objects, yes. Where they ET in origin? I don't know!



posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

One thing that I don't understand about the UFO phenomenon, is that everybody, whether skeptics or believers in the alien interpretation, insist on doing, is claiming that they know what these things are caused by.

Why is nobody willing to say, "I don't know?"

Everybody claims to know?
Nobody admits that they don't know?

I find that extremely hard to believe.
Mostly because neither of those statements are true.



Originally posted by petrus4

swamp gas, geese, or meteor debunking, as to me it is quite clear that a lot of these lights could not be plausibly given any of those explanations.

Swamp gas, weather balloons, meteors, big bird, mosquitoes, etc. etc.- are terms that are used by blind believers as an extremely weak attempt at discrediting others who choose to search for the proof of a truth, as opposed to wishful thinking.



posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I certainly don't know. Though living in the middle of nowhere and on a few occasions witnessing lights (or orbs) that maneuver in amazing ways, having banking skills like off a video game. I'm left with nothing but questions.

Trust me I don't want to be fooled into thinking they are something they're not. But I'm not going to dismiss a possibility because others might think it's off the wall. Just look at the recent discoveries in science, now some of those are off the wall.

The videos and pictures that are floating around on the net, give you very little to go by, I think. There is nothing like seeing it with your own eyes.
And those that try to make it look true because they want it to be true, ruin the whole learning experience.



posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
What's the point?
"I don't know."
Why bother. Doesn't seem to leave much room for discussion, does it?



posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4
I don't know what they're caused by. To me, that is the truly honest, scientific answer.


Since when is saying "I don't know" a scientific answer?

en.wikipedia.org...

The scientific method is systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

Saying "I don't know" is the exact opposite of the scientific method.



posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
reply to post by petrus4
 


I dont say i dont know because i ALWAYS research.

Normally its something mundane....like the thread ive just came from where someone has filmed a tower crane at night from a few miles away on a camera phone.

After some digging, and 10 mins of looking through the internet it is almost certainly a tower crane.

99.999999999% of UFO's can be explained, but you have to want to know the answers. Some will take a video on face value...i dont, and there are plenty of other people who dont.

If i dont know i go out of may way to know......i wont go to UFO sites and compare there, i start off with earthly things...like planes, choppers, bugs etc. A lot of videos can be debunked/cleared up through using this method




LOL, please explain the 99.999999% of cases then, and ofcourse you need PROOF to do so! Your interpretation
of what it is does not "explain" it, only evidence of what it is does.



posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
What's the point?
"I don't know."
Why bother. Doesn't seem to leave much room for discussion, does it?


Yes phage, there is still room for discussions if you don't know. It does not stop there at all.
I think being "certain" about a pixalated video or photo is the problem here...that goes for believers and non-believers alike.

Peace


edit on 23-8-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by InnerPeace2012
 


So that puts us back to saying "It could be this (or that)." Which is what the discussions are about. Simply saying "I don't know." is pointless. A waste of bytes.



new topics

top topics



 
10
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join