It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Requesting Political Knowledge on taxes.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I am new to the political scene, I have to admit I only started paying attention in the last couple of months. I am an ex-Obama supporter and yes, I did vote for him in 2008.
My question is concerning this tax increase that Obama hopes to block and the GOP want to pass.
How can they be on opposite ends of this argument/ Am I missing something? Is the media reporting this correctly?
Seems like I am reading a Bizarro world newspaper when I see headlines like these.

GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block
WASHINGTON (AP) — News flash: Congressional Republicans want to raise your taxes.
Impossible, right? GOP lawmakers are so virulently anti-tax, surely they will fight to prevent a payroll tax increase on virtually every wage-earner starting Jan. 1, right?
Apparently not.
Many of the same Republicans who fought hammer-and-tong to keep the George W. Bush-era income tax cuts from expiring on schedule are now saying a different "temporary" tax cut should end as planned. By their own definition, that amounts to a tax increase. news.yahoo.com...

What is going on here? I thought the GOP was for LESS taxes?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

What is going on here? I thought the GOP was for LESS taxes?

Only for the rich my friend...only for the rich.

The only Republican that has come out to extend the SS tax break is Romney...but oh yeah, he wants to give the tax break to the employer and take it away from the employee.

There are 3 or 4 threads on this already...and no republican supporters have shown up in any of them to try to justify this action by the republicans.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Go to this thread it will help you understand better.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I thought the GOP was for LESS taxes?

Many conservatives claim to stand for a lot of things, free markets, individualism, limited government, less taxes etc but historically and currently they've been antithetical to everything they claim to stand for.
edit on 22-8-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
This is confusing. I was hoping to hear from Republican supporters to see how this is justified in their eyes. How does Ron Paul feel about this? Anyone heard him speak on this topic?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Ron Paul wants to abolish the IRS and until that's possible he has stated that he will support any and every tax break to keep the American public's money in their own pocket. Look it up. Man the internet is a beautiful thing.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by menaremorons

Ron Paul wants to abolish the IRS and until that's possible he has stated that he will support any and every tax break to keep the American public's money in their own pocket. Look it up. Man the internet is a beautiful thing.
Yes I will believe the internet when I see links that I can verify for myself. Thanks.

top topics

join