It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Addiction?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I would really love an explaination here:
Ever since I've found this place on the internet, it seems that I can't go more then one day without going online.
Is the computer world an addiction? And why? Is it that my life is that incredibly boring right now? Is it loneliness that keeps us coming back? Your opinions and thoughts on this please...
Magestica

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 03:19 AM
link   
for some of us it's how we bring home the bacon. For me it started when I was 15 telnetting into MUDS and chat rooms. And I knew since that I wanted to do something with technology. So it's more of a requirement for myself. Of course I cant speak for everyone else.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 03:26 AM
link   
great question, when working I got used to being up to date with everything, the only way I can now maintain that is by the satellite News Channels and the net (for a wider view of things), so personally I`m a bit of a news junkie. And of course a UFO/paranormal junkie as well.

and then I just get drawn back anyway

[Edited on 3-4-2003 by cassini]

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Same with me, I usually dont go for a day without visisting ATS. Its because I want to have my point heard before others, I want to see this stuff first and post first. Its so that I dont miss any of the fast moving news on this site. I can only give you my personal diagnosis, as I don't know you, but I'm sure we're all the same.

XAOS

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by magestica
I would really love an explaination here:
Ever since I've found this place on the internet, it seems that I can't go more then one day without going online.
Is the computer world an addiction? And why? Is it that my life is that incredibly boring right now? Is it loneliness that keeps us coming back? Your opinions and thoughts on this please...
Magestica

YES AND NO......I have been addicted to video games since the Atari days. ATS just seems to have brains then a bunch of other boards where children curse and speak about nothing. I too come here at least once a day, post or no post.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 05:57 AM
link   
We, the members of ATS, became part of your community. We aren't the "internet", we are the people you know through the internet. You opinion is spoken here, facts as you've gathered and processed them are imparted here and at the same time you pick others' opinions and facts.

Come on in, Sis, and close the front door. You know how dad gets mad when all the sore-bought air is let out!

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 06:23 AM
link   
It's been my experience that almost anything that offers some type of reward can become addictive. For anything to be considered an addiction it must meet certain criteria, present certain characteristics and be impacting a person's life in a way that diminishes the quality and causes them to lose control.

Is "surfing the net" a hobby or an addiction? You may have a problem if you have these symptoms:

-- You neglect important family activities, social events, work responsibilities, academic projects or health concerns to spend hours on the Internet;

-- A significant person, such as a boss, close friend or partner, has complained you're spending too much time or money on the Internet;

-- You're constantly anticipating your next on-line session;

-- It becomes impossible to cut back on your Internet time;

-- You're determined to spend a brief period on-line, only to discover later that several hours have passed;

-- You check your e-mail compulsively;

-- You develop cravings and withdrawal symptoms when you're away from the computer;

-- You're skipping meals, classes or appointments to get on the Internet;

-- You'd rather talk to people on-line than face-to-face;

-- You sleep less than five hours a night so you can spend more time on-line.

-- Using the online services everyday without any skipping.

-- Losing track of time after making a connection.

-- Goes out less and less.

-- Spending less and less time on meals at home or at work, and eats in front of the monitor.

-- Denying spending too much time on the Net.

-- Others complaining you're spending too much time in front of the monitor.

-- Checking on your mailbox too many times a day.

-- You think you have got the greatest web site in the world and dying to give people your URL.

-- Logging onto the Net while already busy at work.

-- Sneaking online when spouse or family members not at home, with a sense of relief.

I have many word documents regarding internet addiction available for anyone who's interested and relevent links are below.

psychcentral.com...

library.albany.edu...

www.seanet.com...

www.apa.org...

www.internetaddiction.ca...

www.virtual-addiction.com...

www.addictions.org...

netaddiction.com...

www.rider.edu...

www.askmen.com...

www.chem.vt.edu...

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I'm very much of Thomas's opinion here. The Internet is a vast beast and something like ATS is but a tiny part of it statistically. I can well believe that games are addictive and gambling etc (just as they were in pre-net times).
I suspect the Net is a symptom ( not a cause) of a growing trend towards insularity: for whatever reasons we don't go out and mix and converse as our grandparents did. We tend to have fewer neighbours, we tend to stay indoors and so forth. But that may be a consequence of social conditions, affluence, home-entertainment and the fact that people work so hard (in terms of time a least).
The attraction of ATS is, I think, this sense of a community: we are relatively respectful, informed, interested and interesting and there is a nice balance of ages, politics, religions, educations and nationalities.
There must be an element of comfort here (much like pen-pals in the past) one can converse with numerous people without ever having to set eyes on them, or worrying about how you look and what to wear.
We can imagine how others look and they can reciprocate and the bubble is never burst. And one has a good claim to equality here: regardless of appearance, wealth or status in society.
So, it's mix of "enetrtainment" and the appeal of a community that is not too demanding in a personal sense.
My work causes me to be close to some sort of computer most of the time and so I can post without too many demands being made on my private life. But I also post because I enjoy it.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 07:47 AM
link   
For me, when you see me on the boards, it's usually while I'm at work. About once a week or so, I check it from home, but only since the war. This is just a great place to get views and news from all over the world, and see different angles of an issue. Most of the members here are informed, intelligent, and educated, and the discussions are likewise. At least I can go a few days without, when I want to (i.e. the hacker prank), problem is, most of the time, I just don't want to...

Lately, I've been a little bored at work. Honestly, some of my responsibilities were delegated elsewhere, and I needed something to do....that's when I first found this site...

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 09:56 AM
link   
heres my symptoms

-- You neglect important family activities, social events, work responsibilities, academic projects or health concerns to spend hours on the Internet;

-- A significant person, such as a boss, close friend or partner, has complained you're spending too much time or money on the Internet;

-- You're determined to spend a brief period on-line, only to discover later that several hours have passed;

-- You're skipping meals, classes or appointments to get on the Internet;

-- Losing track of time after making a connection.

-- Goes out less and less.

-- Spending less and less time on meals at home or at work, and eats in front of the monitor.

-- Denying spending too much time on the Net.

-- Others complaining you're spending too much time in front of the monitor.

-- Checking on your mailbox too many times a day.

-- Logging onto the Net while already busy at work.

-- Sneaking online when spouse or family members not at home, with a sense of relief.

arc

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 10:55 AM
link   
The way I look at it is that I spend time online that many of my peers spend in front of the tv. I also live on my own, with no family nearby so by posting on forums and using email/chat programs, it gives me the chance to interact with people as and when I feel like it.

The other forum I post on regularly is for my regular night club, so it serves to keep in touch with my mates during the week and those times I can't afford to go out or just don't feel like it.

Net addiction has been a problem in the past - particularly the not sleeping enough part, but I'm a lot more disciplined now about bedtimes and don't eat in front of the monitor very often. The biggest problem it caused was during my last long term relationship, when my partner was a complete addict. We hardly ever went to bed at the same time, we never went out together and most of our disposable income seemed to go on the computers. I'll just make sure I never live with a network administrator/webcam addict again!

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Mag, I can relate to your post, I do find myself coming here every day. I read these posts for months before I joined and would read them here and there, not even necessarily daily. I spent most of my evenings, especially being single again, watching game after game on TV, I'm a sports freak. Now, I can come here and read all of the posts and stay in touch with the current events while I still have the game on in the background. Now that the weather is getting nicer though, I plan on spending alot more time outside doing many of my outdoor hobbies. I think a few of the symptoms that Deep listed apply to me like going out less, but this is a cheaper and healthier alternative to going out to the bar. I have also "met" alot of nice and interesting people on this site.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Thank goodness I don't have any of those symptoms(yet) LOL! We got this computer when we got to Okinawa and being that it's very difficult to make friends here, I suppose this is why I enjoy coming to ATS so much. You're right PA, I've met some great people at this forum. All walks of life here, that's for sure.
Plus the cable here totally sux! It's all re-runs, news,or in a different language.
Magestica

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Deep,

Gee, thanx for confirming my addiction !!!

posted on Apr, 4 2003 @ 05:58 PM
link   
For me, I play some MMOLRPG's (online games, Asheron's call, beta for planetside and eve). I also hooked up a wireless network and have a laptop in the living room.. so when I watch tv I surf the net.. not to mention having recently been let go from my job.. I have lots of time in between interviews etc.

BTW - anyone need a plant manager for a manufacturing plant? LOL, savings are going buh bye

posted on Apr, 4 2003 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Well this is my 3rd year on ATS and I hope to be here for a long time to come
. I see my time online as having a second life. You have your social "normal" life and you have your life online. Anyway thats how I see it.

I mostly use the net for reading the news, email, and ATS. And about that symptoms of addicition list I think many of us has experienced some of them at one time or another.

posted on Apr, 5 2003 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Yeah guys!!! thanks for making me a total dork!!!

'preciate it!

ya HEARD nerd..?

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Wanna know how I found out, besides the obvious? I was talking with a friend of mine and she said something rather funny and I said "LOL"..She just looked at me like,
and I'm sure my face was red with embarassment! That's when I knew, I was addicted..sad really..But hey! She needs to learn to lingo damnit!

Mag

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I'm studying computer-science... that's sais enough.
Although I TRY to get out more and work out a bit, rather than sitting on my chair the whole day...

- You're determined to spend a brief period on-line, only to discover later that several hours have passed;

I have this all the time

I play "Vietcong" online a lot recently.

[Edited on 14-7-2003 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by magestica
Wanna know how I found out, besides the obvious? I was talking with a friend of mine and she said something rather funny and I said "LOL"..She just looked at me like,
and I'm sure my face was red with embarassment! That's when I knew, I was addicted..sad really..But hey! She needs to learn to lingo damnit!

Mag

Sure sign there Mags...also when you say to someone "brb" when you are on the phone and need to go do something for a few seconds.

Reminds me of a Wierd Al Yankovic song for some reason - 'All About The Pentiums'....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join