It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"GOP: No tax hikes -- except for the poor"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
The Republicans are making it much easier for Obama to get re-elected by opposing the 2% reduction in FICA tax (Social security). This tax break only affects the working poor and middle class because the tax only applies to the first $106,800 of your working income. There are no FICA taxes above that threshold. It's pretty stupid on their part but this gives me another reason to vote for Ron Paul in 2012(libertarian not republican).

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

F&S Inforeal, just to bump the thread and keep it alive and in their face. As usual you've once again hit the nail on the head and I agree completely. If you're not rich, the GOP would just as soon wipe their ass with you. If I didn't know better, I'd think I was witnessing the re-emergance of the hate tactics of the KKK of old. Their political motto should be; "Yes We Hate."

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
reply to post by Misoir

You say they're referring to the FICA or "payroll tax", but they clearly state "income tax" in the article. And based on my top of the line Wikipedia knowledge that I just gained, those are two different types of taxes, no?
edit on 22-8-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

Well this is what I read from the article at Salon.com

How does the Republican Party continue to win elections? The Associated Press is reporting that GOP legislators are opposing the extension of a payroll tax cut that will expire on Jan. 1.

They are quoting the Associated Press, which says...

Impossible, right? GOP lawmakers are so virulently anti-tax, surely they will fight to prevent a payroll tax increase on virtually every wage-earner starting Jan. 1, right?
-
At issue is a tax that the vast majority of workers pay, but many don't recognize because they don't read, or don't understand their pay stubs. Workers normally pay 6.2 percent of their wages toward a tax designated for Social Security. Their employer pays an equal amount, for a total of 12.4 percent per worker.

Source

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
They'll do all of that and rely on racism, anti-intellectualism and religious superstition to convince the poor and stupid to vote against their own interests. The poor and intelligent are Democrats regardless. The challenge lies in convincing the poor and stupid that their economic self-interest is more important than voting their bigotry.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

OK that's why I was confused. I was talking about the second article where they are talking about the income tax, but in the first article it talks about the payroll tax.

Well I've successfully made myself look like an idiot, it's probably time to call it a night.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grumble
They'll do all of that and rely on racism, anti-intellectualism and religious superstition to convince the poor and stupid to vote against their own interests. The poor and intelligent are Democrats regardless. The challenge lies in convincing the poor and stupid that their economic self-interest is more important than voting their bigotry.

Elegantly and beautifully stated! I get so frustrated with my poor and stupid (more like undereducated) "conservative" friends who fit your description. (I am poor and probably overeducated
) I wish there was something I could say to make them see that they are hurting themselves by voting the way they do! And then I become enraged at the Republican Party for taking advantage of them and playing to their fears and prejudices just to make themselves and their moneyed donors richer! Steal from the poor and give to the rich.Talk about redistribution of wealth!!

It is just plain wrong and even sinister for the Repubs to exploit the poor members of their base that way and take advantage of them like that. It very deeply offends me. I'm not saying the Dems don't exploit and take advantage of their base too, but at least the Dems' agenda seeks to take care of the American people instead of intentionally screwing them! The fact that the Repub politicians and party bigwigs cloak themselves in a false mantle of religion while they're deceiving the poor members of their base somehow makes it more despicable than their Dem counterparts' deceptions.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

Well, duh?

The goal is feudalism. And many Americans are vying to be at the head of the line for the unveiling.
edit on 22/8/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

This.

The "American Dream" myth that Republicans and conservatives are so fond of is a perfect formula for feudalism. If you are rich, you must have worked hard for it and deserve it based on your merits There is no conceivable way for someone to be rich and not deserve it in this paradigm. What's more, the rich ought to be rewarded even more because their merit (scoff, chortle) makes them most deserving of your votes!

What makes it all work is the vain [egotistical, hopeless] belief that even talentless Joe Plumber can become rich and powerful by working hard. What makes it all work is the belief that if you aren't rich and powerful then you deserve to be punished for your lack of good American virtue!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
so instead of jumping on the ignorance bandwagon in this thread.

tell me how the gop can do anything when all they control is the house

and the democrats control the senate and the presidency?

yeah alot of bs been flying in this thread and none of it truth.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You are a huge partisan shill so I will address this directly.

Congress has the exclusive right to initiate revenue bills.

Income taxes are revenue.

Congress, controlled by the GOP, can pass whatever bills pertaining to taxation they wish.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Oh, I don't know, this Republican seem to have a pretty good grasp of the truth as well as a good background in American economics. www.fox4kc.com...

Don't let your ideology get in the way of your common sense.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SmedleyBurlap

yeah yeah whatever

congress cant do anything unless all 3 branches house senate and potus agree

really now seems to me if that was accurate as you say the gop wants the care act abolished they cant no matter how much they try.

shill come up with something better please.
edit on 22-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

yeah whaa dont let your ideology get in the way of your common sense

the democrats have screamed for years tax the rich tax the rich tax the rich

and whoah! turns out they dont like it when someone turns the tables on them.

meh

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Perhaps these threads will help get you up to speed....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Instead of dismissing thoughts with a glib "yeah yeah whatever" you should consider the situation the GOP has created.

The Democrats are desperate for more tax revenue because they need to fund the government

The GOP has prevented them from collecting tax revenue from multimillionaire gangsters

The Democrats will have no choice but to accept this new source of income, which the GOP always knew was going to be made available when they blocked the renewal of the tax break on the workers of America.

You are supporting tax thieves and crooks because you don't want to think about the bigger picture and just want to to defend your favourite thugs in office.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Instead of dismissing thoughts with a glib "yeah yeah whatever" you should consider the situation the GOP has created.

finance.yahoo.com...

www.usatoday.com...

www.cbsnews.com...

money.cnn.com...

the gop created thats a laugh nice try

The Democrats are desperate for more tax revenue because they need to fund the government

one of the most riduclous statements i have ever read on here.

The GOP has prevented them from collecting tax revenue from multimillionaire gangsters

with only a little over 200 hundred thousand millionaires in this country the war against the rich has been one of the most successful campaigns ever fought and the total victory is near.

only 400 billionaires exist in this country where have they all gone and where is their money? aint here and it aint providing jobs that that middle class needs and whats the game plan GO after them more.

it is a simple fact those who have money spend money and when they spend money hey guess what they create jobs,

and recent history of going after jet owners and yacht owners is hey guess who makes them and who pilots them and who maintains them and who makes all those goodies that go into them.

guess what millions now out of work and dollars lost.

the democrats have the choice of getting their heads out of their collective butts and get a clue that every policy they make is what is leading to the middle classes destruction.

yeah you think so but i am not supporting the biggest theieves and crooks in this country and the very same people who created the federal reserve.

i do not and nor will i ever support the democrats your favorite thugs with your congressman and your unions and the aclu and seiu and the black panthers et al.

meh

thugs he says

edit on 23-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
so instead of jumping on the ignorance bandwagon in this thread.

tell me how the gop can do anything when all they control is the house

and the democrats control the senate and the presidency?

So...you advocate giving them the senate and presidency then so they can do it?

Isn't the problem what they are standing for, not what they can possibly implement?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Are you going to respond to the actual argument or are you just going to rattle off acronyms and try to stir up sentimental alphabet soup?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

those people who are standing for half this country not paying any taxes and take from other people who are

is what i am against any sane person would be.

the democrats have made promises that it cant keep and it not even begin to pay for the wants and desires of the us population without any self sustaining means of wealth creation.

and robbing from the rich and giving to the poor isnt going to fix it the only thing its doing is putting everyone in the poor house.

and please aint no way the gop will ever raise taxes and sure enough you can bring up ghb read my lips no new taxes but i seem to remember another president names clinton going.

the era of big government is over.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

hey your free to write my posts however you see fit.

then you will get the answers you want.

but how can i take any poster seriously who says the gop control 1 third of the government pass anything which they cant

and then rebutts that the government needs money which what they need to to is shrink government.

yeah theres a shill here but its not myself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join