It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunflowers melt Fukushima's nuclear "snow"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Sunflowers melt Fukushima's nuclear "snow"

uk.reuters.com

(Reuters) - Sparks from burning strips of paper swirled into the hot summer sky, carrying the names of the dead above a temple in Fukushima where thousands of sunflowers have been planted to help fight the omnipresent radiation

Sunflowers were used near Chernobyl after the 1986 nuclear accident there to extract radioactive cesium from contaminated ponds nearby. Japanese scientists are also carrying out tests to prove their usefulness in fighting radiation.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
findarticles.com
www.pri.org
www.wagingpeace.org
www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I do believe everything on this earth has a purpose, alot of plants specifically for healing whether it be healing for human animal or earth itself.
The power of nature never ceases to amaze me. Hopefully we can find more ways of naturally cleaning up this mess. More research should be put into natures wonderful "miracles" . I hope for the best in Japan , and thier efforts to clean this tragic mess up.

uk.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
It's going to take a lot more than sunflowers to fix this.

It's still melting out of control even right now, and getting into the soil and water.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Chernobyl is still unlivable as well. I suppose anyone wanting a lucrative investment should start mass producing sunflowers. I have a feeling we've seen just the beginning.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Here is some more info on this, and I was surprised at the sunflower's abilities regarding tainted soil.
Sunflowers Used To Clean Radioactive Soil In Japan

Peace,
spec

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
LOL the main plant used at chernobyl was not sunflowers it was hemp. If the Japanese want to start doing something right now to clean up it would be to plant thousands of acres. Harvest it. Autolyze it to ash and then melt it to glass and store it and replant, repeat.
current.com...
seed

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mustard seed

hemp

But that's the illegal devil weed, we can't use that for any beneficial qualities, it might send the wrong message to the kids.

Sunflowers have shown to be selective in absorbing metal," Ensley says. "They were able to absorb heavy metals while leaving others - such as iron -behind. This increased their ability to quickly absorb the radionuclides. And, once they have absorbed the radionuclides,the sunflowers are then stabilized, ashed or vitrified and the resulting radioactive waste is stored in a disposal facility."

www.ecaa.ntu.edu.tw...
More Here
Rhizofiltration seems to be better suited for sunflowers, however, I can't find any specifics for hemp's rhizofiltration properties. Although it would not surprise me to find out that hemp is superior in this ability.

Found some more info and you are right mustard seed, more hemp was more used at Chernobyl

Overall, phytoremediation has great potential for cleaning up toxic metals, pesticides, solvents, gasoline, and explosives. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that more than 30,000 sites in the United States alone require hazardous waste treatment. Restoring these areas and their soil, as well as disposing of the wastes, are costly projects, but the costs are expected to be reduced drastically if plants provide the phytoremediation results everyone is hoping for.

www.mhhe.com...
The process seems superior to the rhizofiltration, and is called phytoremediation, which hemp is best at.

To prevent further spread of these toxins, it was determined that livestock should be allowed to feed only on uncontaminated plants and on plants not tending to accumulate toxic metals within their tissues. Then a soil cleanup method was employed using green plants to remove toxins from the soil. This technique is phytoremediation, a term coined by Dr. Ilya Raskin of Rutgers University's Biotechnology Center for Agriculture and the Environment, who was a member of the original task force sent by the IAEA to examine food safety at the Chernobyl site. Phytoremediation is a process that takes advantage of the fact that green plants can extract and concentrate certain elements within their ecosystem. For example, some plants can grow in metal-laden soils, extract certain metals through their root systems, and accumulate them in their tissues without being damaged. In this way, pollutants are either removed from the soil and groundwater or rendered harmless.

Yet another amazing quality of the plant than could save the world huh?

peace,
spec
edit on 22-8-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DieBravely

I agree, it will take more than this, but something is better than nothing. Any kind of help is worth a try. Like I sad we need reasearch on these clean up tools. Gotta start somewhere.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq
Chernobyl is still unlivable as well.

Except for the hundreds of people living thereabouts of course....

2nd

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Sooo off topic, but that chicken avatar really made me laugh.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
And earthworms.

Earthworms remove radiation from the soil.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by stonebutterfly

Why is it off topic to reply to a mesage saying chernobyl is "unliveable" by pointing out that people still live there??

new topics

top topics

join