It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Im just wondering, WHen did ATS open up the flood gates for the Trolls?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I have not been on ATS very long but, I do not remember so much trolling going on in here in the past month.

It seems as though, every thread I read there is some stupid person in there saying things that make no sense at all and it is sooooooo obvious they are trolling the thread. Doesn't ATS have a policy against going into a thread just to make stupid comments and troll the thread and if they do then why are they not doing anything to prevent it from happening?

This is my rant
edit on 8/22/2011 by mustangill because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I blame it on GLP. Their crazy web admin at GLP has been banning hundreds of thousands of IP address blocks, so all those GLP trolls are naturally migrating to ATS.

Heaven help ATS when GLP shuts down permanently. The hordes of zombie trolls will be upon us...

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
It's simple, just ignore them.

I'm sure the mods will sort them out. But bear in mind that not everybody that disagrees with our opinions are Trolls.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Ever since the owner of ATS registered the domain...
2nd

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I am quite new to internet forums so please excuse my ignorance. But what is a troll?

I keep hearing people mention it but I can't get my head round the concept. Google has led me to believe that it refers to people who go to forums to deliberately stir trouble and be argumentative. Ok but what is the point? Are they mousey people who have to be brave from a keyboard? It just seems so pointless.

Even if a newbie like me fell for it and started to argue, they would have to argue back - so again I just don't get the idea.

Also - how do you tell the difference? I have seen some things that are a bit rubbish but I just assume the people are either crazy or dumb. God knows there are plenty of those types around.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotms

Are they mousey people who have to be brave from a keyboard?

In a nutshell yes.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I am quite new to internet forums so please excuse my ignorance. But what is a troll?

I keep hearing people mention it but I can't get my head round the concept. Google has led me to believe that it refers to people who go to forums to deliberately stir trouble and be argumentative. Ok but what is the point? Are they mousey people who have to be brave from a keyboard? It just seems so pointless.

Even if a newbie like me fell for it and started to argue, they would have to argue back - so again I just don't get the idea.

Also - how do you tell the difference? I have seen some things that are a bit rubbish but I just assume the people are either crazy or dumb. God knows there are plenty of those types around.

This is the wikipedia entry for it, which may give you a better idea of what people perceive internet trolling to be:

en.wikipedia.org...
If that link does not take you to the right entry- search "internet troll" or "troll (internet)" in wikipedia.

Hope that helps a little.

edit on 22-8-2011 by TheAncientsKnew because: link not working

edit on 22-8-2011 by TheAncientsKnew because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-8-2011 by TheAncientsKnew because: added info

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Since they linked to Facebook. Seriously.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mustangill
I have not been on ATS very long but, I do not remember so much trolling going on in here in the past month.

It seems as though, every thread I read there is some stupid person in there saying things that make no sense at all and it is sooooooo obvious they are trolling the thread. Doesn't ATS have a policy against going into a thread just to make stupid comments and troll the thread and if they do then why are they not doing anything to prevent it from happening?

This is my rant
edit on 8/22/2011 by mustangill because: (no reason given)

Sometimes I wonder if some of the trolls...are paid to troll....(I think many are)........it is very annoying...and really they are not fooling anyone.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAncientsKnew

Thanks

Still think it is a daft thing to do. Oh what fun

Facebook link theory makes a lot of sense. There is one hell of a lot of tedious, inane nonsense flying around on there so makes sense it would spread easily.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

There was a thread on people being paid trolls recently. You may have seen it already but here is the link anyway:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am going to give it a read.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mustangill

This is a discussion website, what do you honestly expect?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
There was just a thread earlier today about people accusing others of being trolls for no valid reason.

This thread, is ironic, having read the other thread first.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Trolls, what troll's i live in SmurfVille ...
edit on 22-8-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mustangill
Doesn't ATS have a policy against going into a thread just to make stupid comments and troll the thread and if they do then why are they not doing anything to prevent it from happening?

Yes, we have Terms & Conditions which speak to that. What it doesn't do, and what we certainly can't do, is prevent it from happening.

All we can do is react to it. It's a busy board, and we can't see everything or begin to address it all in Real Time. Your best alternative would be to assist us by hitting the Alert button associated with every post on the boards. If you look to the left, there's a button that says >member

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
If a troll is a deliberate trouble maker it is surely really hard to tell if it is a genuine cat amongst the pigeons or just their opinion. Debate is boring if everyone is in agreement.

I am going to give up trying to understand it. If someone has a different view but is reasonable then fine, if they are being nasty or extremely idiotic then conversation over - troll or no troll.

edit on 22-8-2011 by scotms because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Ever since our government started sending them out to make the intelligent people seem uninformed and to make the so called conspiracy theorist sound crazy they attack with no proof or evidence of there claims and that's because there not supposed to there here to put down every idea of independent and free thinking and to put the idea that most of what is said or speculated is a bunch of mumbo jumbo and that you should just go back to your 9-5 job and keep paying your morgage and supporting big corporate america.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

reply to post by caladonea

There was a thread on people being paid trolls recently. You may have seen it already but here is the link anyway:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am going to give it a read.

Yes..... thanks..I have read it....even made a couple of comments....I didn't know there were paid internet trolls until I read this.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon
I blame it on GLP. Their crazy web admin at GLP has been banning hundreds of thousands of IP address blocks, so all those GLP trolls are naturally migrating to ATS.

Heaven help ATS when GLP shuts down permanently. The hordes of zombie trolls will be upon us...

Luckily here you have to register, that in itself deters some trolls. Also, the fact that you have to post a certain amount of times before you create your own thread helps keep the tollish discussion to a minimum.

Something tells me GLP is an online labortory for someone. I think they are testing people. Not to mention seems to me Trinity has "stolen" some money from ppl. He asked ppl to donate to his GLP observatory and made a huge deal about it for months and then nothing came of it. It is barely mentioned and when I last mentioned it I was banned?? Also, the only way to avoid a ban is to pay for a membership otherwise you are leaving yourself wide open for the Karma Police. Trinity has really turned the GLPers on themselves. GLP has become the very thing we are "fighting."

Thank god for ATS!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The Robbie Williams interview a couple of years back didn't help matters either.

I hardly ever post here anymore mainly because this website has become way way too political. It used to be about decent conspiracy theories, now its all politics

top topics

join