It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Believe in "Perfect"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
There are arguable definitions to what constitutes perfect. Probably as many as there are viewpoints. But here is a standard definition from Dictionary.com:

per·fect
   [adj., n. pur-fikt; v. per-fekt]
adjective
conforming absolutely to the description or definition of an ideal type: a perfect sphere; a perfect gentleman.
excellent or complete beyond practical or theoretical improvement: There is no perfect legal code. The proportions of this temple are almost perfect.
exactly fitting the need in a certain situation or for a certain purpose: a perfect actor to play Mr. Micawber; a perfect saw for cutting out keyholes.
entirely without any flaws, defects, or shortcomings: a perfect apple; the perfect crime.
accurate, exact, or correct in every detail: a perfect copy.

So do you define perfection as attainable not just as an ideal but also a state of being? Is it possible for anything to be perfect? Feel free to assert your personal definition of perfection if the above isn't satisfactory.

Per the definition, I would have to assert that it is. Perfect is perfect because it holds up to certain standards of quality established to measure said quality and being consistent with those standards is perfect. That works well for inanimate objects where a standard of quality is easily determinable simply by a lack of perceived flaws, but what about human creations? And humans themselves for that matter. Is there a perfect human? A perfect government? A perfect world? A perfect love?

I do personally believe there is, yes. But then I accept so-called flaws as the natural stress points that can be broken away to create a more perfect whole, like a diamond.

I believe a perfect human is one who is capable of letting others live and be who they are without interference or interruption. One who doesn't infringe on others which may well mean staying away from those we disagree with. Not easy I grant you. But then I also believe we are perfectly human as we are, and that might be the best we can hope for.

I believe a perfect government is one that achieves the above on a grander scale, in other words towards freedom. Although I wonder if freedom and government are not conflicting at their basest levels, but I digress.

A perfect world is one that suits the needs of all its inhabitants but that requires the cooperation of those inhabitants, and it may well be too late for that.

A perfect love? It's in all of us.

Some might think I'm blowing fanciful smoke up my own backside, but yes I do believe in perfection, and even if we only come close aren't we better for having tried?

Those are simply my standards and in the interest of striving to be a more perfect human, I invite and encourage the participation of differing points of view without judgment

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Good question.

Isn't something that's perfect, different for everyone.

What's good for me isn't necessarily good for you is it?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Sure if you throw out the uncertainty principal.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Perfection is love which is synonymous with joy. Joy is the animator of life even when joy is not experienced as the happy feeling. Perfection is life. The only underdeveloped quality of life is the perception of it. The objective nature of it is perfection.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TravelerintheDark

Well written and good food for thought. I think there are both genuine perfect, by the definition submitted, and I think there is also a sensation of 'perfection' within our perception, whether it is accurate or not. The perfect girl, job, life, song etc...
I experienced what I felt was a Perfect Moment once, in that there were no questions, only pure adoration and gratitude, if only ephemeral. So maybe another definition is, nothing else could be added to something that is....complete and of the highest satisfaction?

Peace,
spec

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
i believe the only thing that could possibly be perfect is a person truthfully and whole heartedly being who they are. like a previous post had stated perfection is different for every single one of us.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Yes I believe in Perfect Cell...
I recall watching toonami and seeing his perfection and I was like...damn...that really is perfect, but of course it hasn't been realized because it was simply a drawn concept.
However...if I ever did see a perfect being such as that...I would probably want to marry it.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21
Good question.

Isn't something that's perfect, different for everyone.

What's good for me isn't necessarily good for you is it?

I agree. Perfect is in the eye of the beholder.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Besides the obvious perfection of God and Jesus, I would say there are at least some things that are perfect. True love is perfect, for one. The relationship between the Sun, Earth, and our moon has to be perfect, or else nobody would be here.

I completely understand the object of this thread, but I personally cannot really think of anything that is perfect unless I put God and/or Jesus as the focal point of each thing.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jeramie

God IS love.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Perfection is not attainable in physical, in other words just being with your physical body is a flaw. We may strive to get higher towards being better tho, that is a realistic goal, to better our selfs, we may set goals to that.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It is all around us and in us to,

It is us, me, you, them, that, this, it.

The old face on the street hobbling, the flowers, the thunderstorms

We Just Forget!

And we see it a different way through # stained spectacles,

Many different clothes and ways to clean the glasses,

And many a seeker who saw it stain free for a glimse,

What wonder what simplicity,

And wiped more # on them later!

Be a constant cleaner of your spec's my friends,

For least you forget, to do so what else do you forget and not notice?

Love!

Is the best cloth,

Patience and Persistence are the best cleaning action,

Meditation is the best lens by sure!

Love

Elf

(meditation could be absorbsion single pointed peak moments ie sports at the time of the "zone" or even hypnosis!) some wonderful freeHypnosis

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I believe in the divine. Once all your chakras are in perfect alignment and balance, you become one with Sheva and the part of you that divides your gender combines. Or something like that.

new topics

top topics

join