It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interview with China's Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs: 'The West Has Become Very Conceited'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Interview with China's Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs: 'The West Has Become Very Conceited'

In April, shortly after joining ATS, I started a thread which got 0 attention. I had asked it out of sincere curiosity to know what China and her people think of the US. Today I found this interview (four months after my inquiry) which answers some of my questions.

Recently I was involved in the debate/thread regarding the bear-bile story and a member became quite upset and adamant that the responses to the thread indicated a general disliking of China. His point was taken, and I respect the fact that he was attempting to defend his wife's mother-country. He made an excellent point of reminding us that the actions of only a few people can incite hatred for an entire "group."

Since that exchange, I have been attempting to educate myself about China beyond what I had previously understood or thought I knew. I have been reading the Shanghai news, have been looking into every place I can stumble upon to get more info, including more about the history of China than I was already aware of.

The interview linked herewww.spiegel.de...
was conducted by the German news Der Spiegel. I found it to be both informative and comforting.
It is a rather lengthy interview, and the questions asked of the Vice Minister were astute and very clear.

Here are a few snips:

SPIEGEL: The Americans clearly have doubts about your intentions. Pakistan is believed to have provided China with access to the wreckage of the high-tech US helicopter that crashed during the operation against Osama bin Laden. Are you in a position to confirm whether this is true?

Fu Ying: Both China and Pakistan have denied this rumor. I think the most important thing is the question of whether China and the US are enemies. Are we going to be in a war? Are we preparing for a war against each other? We certainly don't see it that way. It is not very friendly that the US maintains a weapons embargo against China. We have no intention to threaten the US, and we don't see the US as a threat to us. The West tends to place China in the framework of the Cold War. This puzzles China a lot.

That allowed some of the tension from my neck and shoulders. But another thing that "puzzles China a lot" was described in an article I read very recently in the Sydney Morning Herald

Common touch rattles China

www.smh.com.au...

BEIJING: The word on the street, whether in Washington or Beijing, is that the United States is on the decline and China is on the ascent. But it has taken nothing more than a cup of coffee and a backpack to show that US officials can still evoke awe, respect and envy among Chinese, even if unwittingly.

A photograph taken on Friday of the new US ambassador to China, Gary Locke, buying coffee with his six-year-old daughter and carrying a black backpack at a Starbucks in Seattle Airport, has gone viral on the internet in China.

The seemingly banal scene has bewildered and disarmed Chinese because they are used to seeing their own officials indulge in privileged lives often propped up by graft, bribery and lavish expense accounts.

Now three days later I see their Vice Minister saying that it's true, China is puzzled.
So that, at least, is a constant.
But

''To most Chinese people, the scene was so unusual it almost defied belief,'' Chen Weihua, an editor at China Daily, an official English-language newspaper, wrote in an article on Wednesday.

Cheng Li, a scholar at the Brookings Institution who studies Chinese elite politics, said in an email: ''Ambassador Locke's photo contrasts sharply with the image of the Chinese officials who often live in a secret, insulated, very privileged fashion. This may explain why some Chinese leaders tend to be out of touch with the real life of the ordinary Chinese people - members of the urban middle class, not to mention the farmers and migrant workers.''

Chinese fed up with self-indulgent behaviour by officials often post photographs on the internet of bureaucrats being chauffeured around in black Audis, buying Louis Vuitton handbags for wives or mistresses and playing golf or strolling on beaches.

Now, take note that the Brookings Institution IS PART OF THE BILDERBERG network.
www.globalresearch.ca...
They had previously had a good standing in my opinion based mostly on their fancy name/title and the fact that they APPEARED to be doing philanthropic and humanitarian projects. But then I saw them listed on the attendees/organizations that are directly involved with the Bilderberg group. So my faith in them plummeted, along with my faith in NPR, which often invites their people on for lengthy interviews that SEEM unbiased.

Here is one more person of the Bilderbergers- check out her affiliations.

One current Steering Committee member, who is representative of not only a continuation of Rockefeller interests, but also of the continuing influence and role of the major foundations is Jessica T. Matthews. She is President of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, who had served on the National Security Council under Zbigniew Brzezinski, was a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations (at which David Rockefeller remains as Honorary Chairman), is a member of the Trilateral Commission, is a trustee of the Rockefeller Foundation, and has served on the boards of the Brookings Institution, the Rockefeller Brothers Fund and the Joyce Foundation.

Have any of you here heard of her? Jessica T. Matthews. I had not.
I have, of course, heard of David Rockefeller.

at a 1991 meeting of the Bilderberg group, David Rockefeller was quoted as saying:
"We are grateful to the Washington Post, The New York Times, Time Magazine and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost 40 years. It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subjected to the lights of publicity during those years. But the world is more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government. The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national auto-determination practiced in past centuries."

Strangely enough, last year I met a woman who had been an insider with the Rockefellers - on a personal level - at one time. I will say only that she lives in a very modest home, has nothing to do with her former affiliates, is a person warm of heart even if a just a little over the top with the neopagan/organic-only penchant displayed in her home. (I was not offended at all by that). She didn't say much, but in the few hours that I spoke with her she did divulge this insider's knowledge to me with intense distaste and not a few eye-rolls.

So, not sure if I've deconstructed anything here, but these things -- seemingly random bits of information from both sides of the planet, make me more suspicious than ever.
I wonder if anyone else is interested in discussing this.
Here are a few more snippets from the Vice Minister's interview:

SPIEGEL: Many Germans, while respecting China's development, see your country more as a rival than a partner. Is that something that you can understand?

Fu Ying: I'm grateful you raised that point because it is something that has been on my mind for a long time. If you fundamentally accept that China's growth has lifted countless people in the country out of poverty, then you also have to agree that China has done things right. One must also accept that there can be a different political system. The countries in the West think they have the only system that works and they have narrowed down "democracy" to a multi-party election system, which works well for some countries, most of the time, but as we are now seeing with the latest financial crisis, they sometimes experience difficulties too. The West has become very conceited. At the end of the day, democracy alone cannot put food on the table. That's the reality.

SPIEGEL: China's decision-making process appears to be shielded with black box secrecy, and even long-time observers are puzzled over how political decisions are taken. Does it really come as a surprise to you that many are wary of China's intentions?

Fu Ying : China's political system is a product of China's history. It is based on the country's own culture and is subject to a constant reform process, which includes the building up of democratic decision-making processes in China. In order to make the right decisions, you have to listen to the people and their criticism. No government can survive if it loses touch with the people and reality. And we have a very critical view of ourselves.

I gotta say, that makes sense to me.

SPIEGEL: Democracies are very complicated, and compared to tightly ruled systems, they are at a disadvantage. Do you feel superior?

Fu Ying: Superiority is the not the word we use. The Chinese are very modest. We respect your success and we learn from you. You are in the post-industrialized era. Many of the problems you encounter might occur in China later. So we want to see how you address those problems, and if we can learn from you.

Seems humble enough.
But is it the truth? Or just her view? Apparently she is "out of touch", according to the Brookings Institution. And yet, China also sits in at the Bilderberg meetings. "Many of the problems you encounter might occur in China later." Is that simply a mature and observant thing to say? Or is it a hint at something she's not telling? How can she know that? What does it imply?
I will end this post with the following. It's worthy of thought, and while I suspect this forum is not trafficked very much, I hope at least a few ATS members will find these things of interest.

SPIEGEL: For a long time, the West believed that the developments in China were a win-win situation for everyone involved. Now, however, the impression is solidifying -- even within international institutions like the World Trade Organization -- that the Chinese want to shift the balance of the global economy to their advantage. The long-term policy of keeping the Renminbi artificially undervalued is just one example of this that is often cited.

Fu Ying: China has no intention to rule the world. But if you continue to see yourself as the center of the world, if you see yourself as the monopoly of all truths, all the right beliefs and all the right values, then you will always find it uncomfortable when you realize that the world is diversified. There are different values and cultures. And if you believe you have won the Cold War, then the Cold War is finished, over, done. We are living in a new world. Get down off your high horse of being on top of the world. Come down to be equals and join us on a level playing field instead of creating a new rival in the style of the Cold War.

edit on 22-8-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

It's all about roll reversal. Soon the west will be the new third world. It's only a matter of time.

But one day China will fall off of their newly aquired perch. when it becomes cheaper to manufacture in the west than it is there.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Fu Ying: China has no intention to rule the world. But if you continue to see yourself as the center of the world, if you see yourself as the monopoly of all truths, all the right beliefs and all the right values, then you will always find it uncomfortable when you realize that the world is diversified. There are different values and cultures. And if you believe you have won the Cold War, then the Cold War is finished, over, done. We are living in a new world. Get down off your high horse of being on top of the world. Come down to be equals and join us on a level playing field instead of creating a new rival in the style of the Cold War.

Now that I find compelling. As the West staggers from conflict to conflict all over the world imposing it's 'ideals' perhaps some of our politicians could look at this then look at their handlers and perhaps take stock of what they are achieving.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Did you read the interview, though?
Here is her last recorded remark:

SPIEGEL: How does it feel to be viewed as a new economic superpower?

Fu Ying: It is flattering.

SPIEGEL: Does it make you nervous, as well?

Fu Ying: Not at all. We don't view ourselves as a superpower. You are not going to see a USA or a Soviet Union in China. You are going to see a culturally nourished country with a big population, being more content, being happy, being purposeful -- and it will be a friend to the world. There is no reason to worry about China.

I hope anyone who stopped by will take the time to read her article. It was quite enlightening as to one Chinese minister's point of view.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Well at least the BasketBall Game didnt get mentioned,,,,
oooppppsss,,

Common,
the chinese thought nixon was a hood, but they played ping pong,
the russians thought , Baker was a used car salesman,,well actually they played nuke war over that one,,
So now they send Biden,, and they think all Americans act like that?
no.
But for a V.P.?
also a no.
in there eyes.
.afraid.
which
means
subservent.,
evry thing a ok.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

ello, gonna read later.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

"SPIEGEL: How does it feel to be viewed as a new economic superpower?

Fu Ying: It is flattering. "

unquote

Is this the Spiegal catalouge? interview??,, and it makes my ass small too

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
Did you read the interview, though?
Here is her last recorded remark:

SPIEGEL: How does it feel to be viewed as a new economic superpower?

Fu Ying: It is flattering.

SPIEGEL: Does it make you nervous, as well?

Fu Ying: Not at all. We don't view ourselves as a superpower. You are not going to see a USA or a Soviet Union in China. You are going to see a culturally nourished country with a big population, being more content, being happy, being purposeful -- and it will be a friend to the world. There is no reason to worry about China.

I hope anyone who stopped by will take the time to read her article. It was quite enlightening as to one Chinese minister's point of view.

Are you saying you believe this? What happens when they need to act heavily handed?
Will they just sit by and let bad things happen?

Oh wait that's just what they do now..

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

But if you continue to see yourself as the center of the world, if you see yourself as the monopoly of all truths, all the right beliefs and all the right values, then you will always find it uncomfortable when you realize that the world is diversified. There are different values and cultures. And if you believe you have won the Cold War, then the Cold War is finished, over, done. We are living in a new world. Get down off your high horse of being on top of the world. Come down to be equals and join us on a level playing field instead of creating a new rival in the style of the Cold War.

Truth comes from all sides. This man deserves a medal for being the first to dare to point this out.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowMonk

But if you continue to see yourself as the center of the world, if you see yourself as the monopoly of all truths, all the right beliefs and all the right values, then you will always find it uncomfortable when you realize that the world is diversified. There are different values and cultures. And if you believe you have won the Cold War, then the Cold War is finished, over, done. We are living in a new world. Get down off your high horse of being on top of the world. Come down to be equals and join us on a level playing field instead of creating a new rival in the style of the Cold War.

Truth comes from all sides. This man deserves a medal for being the first to dare to point this out.

"Get down off your high horse of being on top of the world."
cant be taking about middle america,, cause we already ate that horse.
remember the trojan horse,,,send jobs to china?? never happen,,dont worry,, lol

close down all the factories,,
well never said anything about the factories,,

cause we already ate that horse.,,
ya

so they must be talking about some other americans,, high horse,, concieted,, hmmm
i wonder if biden is around,,
they should have sent the general again.
edit on 22-8-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowMonk

The interviewer?
Because the person who said it is a woman. But I agree, it is a very good point she is making.

reply to post by DAZ21

Are you saying you believe this? What happens when they need to act heavily handed?
Will they just sit by and let bad things happen?

Oh wait that's just what they do now..

DAZ, I am not saying I believe this. I am saying I don't know what to believe. And your replies so far haven't contributed much. What do you know that I don't? Offer up something besides your negative opinion and knee-jerk reactions. Otherwise, you have made yourself clear. Thanks for your interest.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Your remarks are incendiary and incoherent.
Please contribute to the thread, or move along.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Your remarks are incendiary and incoherent.
Please contribute to the thread, or move along.

yes officer

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Ask a question and I'll gladly answer.

What do you want to know?

Didn't mean to come across as rude.. sorry.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Okay, on what do you base your opinion? That's what I would ask you.
Have you lived there? Do you know their people? What has influenced your opinion of them, and how?

I'm honestly looking to expand my own knowledge and get others' opinions, and the reasons for their opinions. And again, I'm not saying I believe anything the Vice Minister said. I would like, to, yes, but I, too, have suspicions about Chinese propaganda, secrecy, closed society, and motives.

I'd like to be less "manipulated" and more "knowledgable" about what they are really doing, thinking, etc.
What their official newspapers say and what the world says about them are quite disparate, agreed?

Do you think they are a threat? Do you think they have goodwill?
I'm not sure.
Cheers, mate!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Thanks. Go heckle someone else.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

tough room

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Aha, well I don't want to promote my thread but I see China as a threat, you can read if you like.

Honestly, I haven't lived in China. The nearest I've lived is New Zealand, and there's quite a few Chinese Down there. I had a couple of Chinese friends and actually they were good friends, just normal people. They were very educationally driven to get the best grades. My only thoughts to this is strict parenting.

Why? Because they know education is the key to success.

They are an incredibly smart race, and deserve to be in the world where they are now.

That's what scares me. They're just an extremely intelligent race and I wonder what they are planning.
Not the normal people of china, but the government. What are their intentions? Why are they keeping the cards so close to their chest?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
ya cause if Mao
saw that,,
he'd have her shot for treason. thats is if he's not spinning right now,, lol

Capitalist China?

didn't think it was in the " playbook "

but im old.

edit on 22-8-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Which thread is it you are referring to? I would like to read it.

My kid just graduated with a Bachelors of Science from Northwestern University, a world-class school for engineers (slightly less so than MIT, but still quite respectable). MOST of the youth graduating from engineering seemed to be either Indian or Asian. Not as many US citizens at all, though of course there are a decent number.

And the graduation ceremonies, which lasted for three days, were attended by huge groups of these students' families, some of them had as many as 20-30 of their supporters there. It was quite impressive.

I agree, why are they so secretive?
I look fwd to reading your thread - right now I gotta go to an appointment. Thanks!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join