It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jack Layton, Looses His Battle to Cancer, Dies at age 61

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

The day before he died, Jack Layton was sitting up, his mind was sharp and he was talking politics and the future with his long-time chief of staff Anne McGrath and party president Brian Topp. The pair met with the NDP leader Saturday for four hours as a stream of family members came in and out of the house. Early Monday morning, Mr. Layton died, succumbing to cancer. He was 61.

LINK

I am not a huge fan of politicians, but his passing made me very sad and I shed a couple tears after hearing the news. Mr. Layton was a catalyst for change in our country, and has inspired so many young people to become involved in our nation's politics. He was a passionate man with integrity and focused on bringing back a true Democracy. He gave me a little hope that politicians CAN be REAL.
He will truly be missed.

Rest in Paradise, Jack Layton.

***EDIT***
I was just informed there was another thread already started on this topic in the same forum. My apologies for making a duplicate thread. MODS please make appropriate changes, maybe we can merge the threads together?
THREAD
edit on 22/8/2011 by InnerTruths because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I too stear far away from political aspects, but the news of Mr. Layton's death came at a shock to me as well.

He represented change and his death will leave a substantial void in the political parties here in Canada, regardless of your view or party stand.

I hope his family and friends can find peace and comfort in this terrible time.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by InnerTruths

That sucks, I thought he might get through it, I'm shocked. He brought his party to new and unexpected heights and provided a voice of opposition to Harper. He'll be missed by many. I wonder if anyone can fill his shoes.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by InnerTruths

I feel really sad.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Although the man was perhaps the most charismatic of party leaders in Canada, I will indeed stop short of saying that he was going to bring serious change for the better.

Come on people, where were you after the elections to trumpet here how awesome the NDP will be for Canada?

The NDP surged in popularity because of two primary reasons (in order of importance):

1 - The disgust in the typical powerful parties which resulted in "Protest Votes" for the NDP to send a message to the Liberals and Bloc.
2 - "Jack Attack" which was Layton brilliantly pouncing on the weakness of the other parties and connected with frustrated voters who felt none of the other parties were valuing them as constituents.

RIP to a good politician, but in my opinion, not an absolutely amazing one.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Ya that was a quick departure. Even though his party's sudden silence on Libya and the defense budget I still hold some respect for the man. RIP Mr Layton.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Well, this is sad but at least I am happy for him that he is now released of his pain from the cancer. Anywhere he is right now I am sure he rests in peace and that his family will send him many positive an constructive thoughts to help him be well in the Heaven.

Bless you Mr. Layton and be well,

Thruthseek3r

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The media never told us what new Cancer Layton had or what was his second Cancer.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
An impressive last message as he knew his time was at an end.
I respected them man before, I respect him more so now. Despite not agreeing with his politics:

Jack Layton's last letter to Canadians
edit on 22-8-2011 by Konstantinos because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
R.I.P., Mr Layton.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Konstantinos

You don't have to agree with his politics to note an exceptional politician and a man of integrity. Far too few of those in ANY country. We are lessened today.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Konstantinos
An impressive last message as he knew his time was at an end.

Jack Layton's last letter to Canadians

Thanks for sharing that.

new topics

top topics

join