It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks Just Lost a Bunch of Great Secrets Forever

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Wikileaks Just Lost a Bunch of Great Secrets Forever

gawker.com

The hits have not kept coming for Wikileaks. Since its massive diplomatic cables dump, the secret-sharing site has kept whatever secrets it's come across to itself. Now it appears a disgruntled former Wikileaks insider deleted them all.

In an interview with Der Speigel, former Wikileaks spokesman Daniel Domscheit-Berg revealed that he had deleted 3,500 unpublished Wikileaks files.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
translate.googleusercontent.com

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

The article goes on to say :

According to a few tweets from Wikileaks, the documents gone forever include the mythical Bank of America leak—which Assange previously boasted "could take down a bank or two"—and the complete U.S. no-fly list. Assange is steamed, resorting to his go-to tactic when someone has pissed him off: Intuiting that DDB is working with U.S. authorities.

"I have received a warning from a current Western intelligence officer that DDB has been in contact with the FBI on more than one occasion, and that the information from this contact was 'helpful'," he wrote in a statement posted to Wikileaks' Twitter account.

Domscheit-Berg quit in a huff to launch his own Wikileaks competitor, OpenLeaks, says he deleted the files to "ensure that the sources are not compromised." He says Assange is a technical nincompoop who can't protect sources or secure his servers—a charge that's supported by the fact that DDB could "steal" and delete such sensitive documents; Wikileaks doesn't use backups?

Things just seem to be going downhill for Wiki leaks these days. With paypal cutting it off Assange has lost his ability to solicit donations and also with Assange still under house arrest for his sex case things are looking bleak for the site that once had the attention of the worlds media.

I hope for Assange's sake he still has some sensitive info hidden away somewhere as backup. Would he really be stupid enough to put all his eggs in one basket?

gawker.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 22-8-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Oh well.......I wouldn't doubt if Wikileaks even had more secrets. I don't know if Assange was lying or why hasn't he been bumped off ? I have no idea where I'm going with this post.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
the fact that assange is still walking implies he sold out to me

could be wrong, but then again wikileaks could be dis-info anyway...

who to trust eh?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I still wonder what is in this massive torrent that is encryrpted that they put out just incase.. if it's not this missing information, then what?
edit on 22-8-2011 by miniatus because: typo

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
reply to post by Beavers

You didn't lie dude, he should've been bumped off years ago.

Are you actively encouraging murder here?

I'm pretty sure that's against T+C.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Wikileaks lost it all eh? Just deleted and gone for the ages. I suppose that includes the PHYSICAL B-of-A hard drives someone risked their career and possibly more to get him, trusting him that he'd do as indicated through HIS words on HIS site.

It's all gone now? Yeah, right. It sounds like a little fire in St Louis many years ago which seems to have destroyed records many times the physical size of the area that burned. Funny how physics or delete buttons seem to work when people WANT things to vanish.

I wonder how many pieces of silver Assange received to make it all vanish and go away now? Or was he just told he'd be allowed to live free? Whichever, I'm sure it's NO consolation to those who put it on the line to get him information that others desperately wanted kept quiet.

Thankfully there are still other sites (Cryptome is one of them) that don't play the games and aren't run by prima donnas like Assange has become. Whatever he started as (and I respected him until recently), he's become exactly what he detested and I certainly detest him for it.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Hey we got a ton of secrets that will screw people. Don't mess with us.

Hey we lost all those cool secrets. A "disgruntled" employee deleted them all.

What a load of horse crap.
You're telling me this guy didn't have copies of the data in a secret safety deposit box somewhere?
As an insurance policy?

LIES! ALL LIES!

Assange just lost all credibility. No backup plan in case of catastrophic data loss? This smells like BS.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
If they were merely deleted they could be recovered. Computer forensics does that all the time. Oh wikileaks.....this doesn't look good at all.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
If they were merely deleted they could be recovered. Computer forensics does that all the time. Oh wikileaks.....this doesn't look good at all.

I would be surprised if wikileaks folks didn't know how to shred digital files .. I'm sure that if this guy really wanted them deleted, then they won't be recoverable.. a simple multiple pass erase will do the trick... even if you erased the data and filled it in with a couple of passes of pseudorandom data it would be lost.. I've never personally seen a recovery from that.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Did somthing BIG get on wikileaks? The whole "Disgrunteled employee" this sounds like crap....

Somthing got on wikileaks that sombody didnt want getting out, and while they where there they deleted the rest... now who is the question....

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Assange just lost all credibility. No backup plan in case of catastrophic data loss? This smells like BS.

That is the other thing here that defies logic. Assange is no idiot or he never would have built what he did. Of ALL the people on Earth, this man should know the value of backups better than anyone else. Yet, we're to believe he had none?

He deliberately and publicly took on the U.S. and other Governments, and it never occurred to him that someone may not play fair and just resort to physically destroying an entire location he had data stored at? The obvious problem of an employee being compromised is too easy. He declared war on the agencies who perfected that whole approach...never thought it could happen?

Nope..I'm not buying it. He deep sixed his own material to save his butt, or he is so terminally irresponsible with data that could have gotten the leakers killed, he deserves no trust from anyone again. I'm not seeing a 3rd possibility that makes sense in the real world?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
What? As paranoid as these guys are and they don't have back-ups & off-site backups?

I have all my files, including emails from 1984, backed up AND on 1TB drives that I keep away from my house.

I don't buy it.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Wikileaks is more than likely some type of CIA operation.

The corruption has become so blatant now that who cares what gets leaked out? NOTHING WILL BE DONE ABOUT IT.

They could leak cables today that the US Government was complicit in the planning and execution of the 9-11 attacks and no one would do a goddamn thing.

Feh!!!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Julian Assange has a son. I'm sure he cares about him a great deal. It's not only in movies that someone becomes 'enemy of the state.' Sounds like checkmate to me. And also all of a sudden the mainstream media is no longer reporting what they want us to know? I think they still are. There was a thread recently where an interview with Julian Assange was presented and he answered all questions. I was the only reply in that thread. It was an hour or 2 interview - maybe too long compared to sound bites on MSM?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Originally posted by Heartisblack
reply to post by Beavers

You didn't lie dude, he should've been bumped off years ago.

Are you actively encouraging murder here?

I'm pretty sure that's against T+C.

No, I was not promoting murder. But when you are telling government secrets that they don't want to be told; good people have been killed. Certain organizations don't like things getting out.
edit on 22-8-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Sounds like some one got paid off!
I would love to see His bank account.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Does anybody take this whole wikihype stuff at face value anymore? What a joke. IT professionals losing data, not just ANY IT guy, but the hero activist boss of the world lost a treasure trove. I'm guessing we won't really hear anymore about wikileaks.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join