It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Porton Down

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by UKExposer

Originally posted by zero lift

According to these two maps, my original circled area in red for Porton Down is correct and the bigger area above it doesn't have a name and is out of the "Danger Area" (see the ordnance survey link I give you which shows the 'Danger Area' the red circle is in it and Googple Maps calls this Porton Down). The blue circle isn't named on either google maps or the ordnacen survey map, but on the ordnance survey map the blue circle is not only not named but is also outside of the danger area.

You're confusing the village of Porton, which is what the Ordnance Survey map is showing (the small red circle is to the immediate right of the village), and the CBRN facilities (which are the other side of the railway line to the village).

You've also vastly underestimated the size of the Porton Range - go back to the Ordnance Survey map, but this time once the Porton map appears click to see the map which is immediately to the east - you'll then discover that the Danger Area is enormous. As I mentioned before Porton Range is 7,000 acres!

The following are declassified maps of: the old MRE (which is now the Health Protection Agency's Centre for Emergency Preparedness and Response) - your red circle; and the old CDEE (which is now the military research CBRN research facility - Dstl Porton Down) - which you indicated with a blue circle.

And finally, at the risk of overly repeating myself, do not try and gain access to any Porton Down facility or associated test range (marked as Danger Areas).

If you wish to discover more about Porton and it's history, a good start would be to go to your local library and order Chemical and Biological Defence Porton Down 1916-2000 by G.B. Carter.

zero lift

Zero Lift, friend,

I wasn't getting at you, honestly, I really apprecaite what you have given me and believe me it has clarified everyting.

I was confused by the map from Google Maps as according to THEIR 'Hybrid' image MY red circle is Porton Down and Google maps do not title my blue circle, which made me think it was something different.

According to your information and maps it makes far more sense.

Thanks.

[edit on 8-4-2007 by UKExposer]

What do you think of the 'Dstl, Porton Down' Wikipedia article? If it can be improved (which I think it can GREATLY) then please do! Considering when you type in 'Porton Down' into Google it is the first find!

What do people think of the Menkell papers?

In this Wikipedia article I have included an aerial view map, the offical book of the history of Porton Down, an Ordnance Survey map of the area and a BBC image. I admit that it can be much better, akin to the Area 51 article, but it is a start never the less!

[edit on 12-4-2007 by UKExposer]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   
If you wish to learn how Porton turned the UK into a giant outdoor laboratory for their Cold War public area Biological Warfare experiments, then take the time to really examine the information available on the following links.

Declassified Porton BW field trial documents
www.nr23.net...

The Dorset Biological Warfare Experiments 1963-75
www.nr23.net...

UK Public Area Biological Warfare Experiments 1949-1975
www.nr23.net...

These links should give you some idea of the immense scale of the UK's Cold War Biological Warfare programme.

Menkell papers?

zero lift

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
talking about porton down, a friend i was talking to who lives about 50 miles away who drives past it to go to work said she saw military aircraft flying about in that area.. i wonder if any one else knows about the "true british roswell post" that i've linked below to do with porton down..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

there's also another post somewhere off all the long underground tunnels which go underground from porton down "area" to westminster, believed to be built in the cold war in fear of nuclear fall out...

hmm underground tunnels and Thatcher shutting down the mines has got me thinking about that Dulce base topic with underground tunnels..

anyway..

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=761414]The Hunter[/posknowhi
Hi
I am new to site.
I am a chemical mechanical engineer.
I have worked for a company who contacted me out to work and install a new facility. "laboratory. "
In the portan down site.
They do research chemical weapons grade gases.
They test these items on live animals notable monkeys.
The noise at feeding time was incredible.
My work was to install small glove assessment units and chemical extraction units.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: theteesideripper

Right! I'm assuming by your terrible grammar that English is not your first language? I'm also assuming that despite this you hold some form of UK security clearance as you were working at a classified site in a strategic weapons research facility? Just a word of caution, I wouldn't say much more than you already have! Other than perhaps you should learn how to spell PORTON.

Thankfully you haven't told us anything we don't already know. Hazardous chemicals are often handled in glove boxes with extraction and filtration units and unfortunately sometimes there is no alternative to animal testing, but at least the monkeys are well fed!

Cheers

Robbie

edit on 11-5-2015 by stratsys-sws because: grammar :-)

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: The Hunter

I'm familiar with this place as it's the 'top-secret' location (51.1297285,-1.7088344) where GW Pharmaceuticals cultivates their cannabis, carries out their extractions, and produces their concentrates.

GW pharma' are most famously known for their flagship product Sativex, which is whole-plant extracts from two strains of cannabis which is then combined to a ratio of 50/50 - hence the erroneous claim '50% THC/50% CBD'. They're the only licensed company in the UK legally able to produce and market such cannabis/phytocannabinoid based medications ('schedule 1' - "no currently accepted medical use" my ar*e, sorry, rant over :-/ ).

The industrial area in question is often referred to as Porton Down Science Park, although the official name is Tetricus Science Park. Here's a linky for some more background information on the people responsible for running the place and current tenants ~ www.ukspa.org.uk...

I had no idea about the military connection, the history with the place concerning bio-whatnot and all of the other interesting bits of information in this thread, it's nice little reminder that we don't always know what's going on next door.

Interesting thread OP, Cheers

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join