It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let’s talk about Knifes…

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

My husband and I love to visit Flea markets and garage sales. This will be my next quest. To find and Old Timer pocket knife.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Okay, you ATSers are inspiring me!
I think Im going to buy a belt grinder this week and start making some knives of my own.
Ive been wanting to do this for some time now, and all this talk about sharp things has got me itchin' to make something.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Star for you! That is an awesome video, I was really impressed by the quality of the knife overall. Plus the sheath for the other knife is simply amazing.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
awesome post...will read more of your posts in the future..Thank you

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3617b8c24b63.jpg[/atsimg]

Thanks DB. This is the knife I was talking about

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

Originally posted by BadNinja68
Old Timer knives, along with Uncle Henry Knives are Made By Schrade.n ( or were)
The Schrade Factory Closed.
They were good US Made knives ( now they are made in China, But still use tempered 440c steel).

They are still available, they are very good, inexpensive stainless steel blades that werre designed for use.
My Father carried a 150OT for years

I didn't know Schrade was gone....
In that case I no longer recommend the Old Timer or Uncle Henry Line of knives... unless you can find one of the old ones like I have...

Pretty much all of the older quality knife companies have gone to Chinese production to keep costs down.
Hard to find a really good quality US made knife under $100 these days.

Camillus is gone too.

I guess it costs too much to mass produce a good quality knife in the US these days.
I still have an older US made Camillus double edged boot knife

Thing wouldn't cut paper out of the box, it'll shave a wombat now though.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
IMO knifes are crappy for self defense because the person can easily grab the knife from you, if they are stronger than you or even lucky, and turn it on you.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by m1991

Anywhere outside of a major urban area the primary things you are going to have to defend yourself and yours against is thirst, famine, and the elements. A knife is the one tool that makes survival possible. It is the one tool that gives you fire, pottable water, shelter, food, and a host of other necessities such as medicine, other tools, etc.
edit on 24-8-2011 by dainoyfb because: I typo'd

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by m1991
IMO knifes are crappy for self defense because the person can easily grab the knife from you, if they are stronger than you or even lucky, and turn it on you.

Maybe for you, but not for most people.
A grab for my knife just means you brought all your vital organs withing striking range of my blade.
Now the "grabber" gets to play "bet your life" guessing which organ Im about to strike.
Odds are he guesses wrong, and even of he does, he gets cut badly trying to get away from the 6 inch scalple Im pushing at him

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
reply to post by m1991

Anywhere outside of a major urban area the primary things you are going to have to defend yourself and yours against is thirst, famine, and the elements. A knife is the one tool that makes survival possible. It is the one tool that gives you fire, pottable water, shelter, food, and a host of other necessities such as medicine, other tools, etc.

knives have a lot of other survival purposes, but they're not great as weapons imo

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Hi,

I'm building a lightweight 72 hr kit and have a Mora as a fixed blade knife. I also have a Leatherman Blast and a Victorinox Huntsman, I can't decide between the two. What would be best for the kit?
I would like to keep this bag as light as possible. Are the needle-nose pliers worth the extra weight? I keep tools in my truck.
I'm also having trouble deciding between the Gerber folding saw and a United Cutlery Trailblazer axe.
I would appreciate any advice anyone has for me.

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by m1991

Originally posted by dainoyfb
reply to post by m1991

knives have a lot of other survival purposes, but they're not great as weapons imo

As opposed to a firearm,
Knives do not-
Jam
Misfire
Run out of ammo
Hit the wrong target
give away your position.

However, they are-
lighter
faster
easier to conceal
more accurate
more deadly within 5 ft of target.

Methinks that depending on the situation, a good sharp knife could be the best weapon.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoppy

Hi,

I'm building a lightweight 72 hr kit and have a Mora as a fixed blade knife. I also have a Leatherman Blast and a Victorinox Huntsman, I can't decide between the two. What would be best for the kit?
I would like to keep this bag as light as possible. Are the needle-nose pliers worth the extra weight? I keep tools in my truck.
I'm also having trouble deciding between the Gerber folding saw and a United Cutlery Trailblazer axe.
I would appreciate any advice anyone has for me.

Thanks.

Id go with the leatherman for the needle nose. it's not that much extra weight.

Gerber over UC everytime.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
To all those who say a knife isnt a weapon...
You all do know about Dog & Knife Boar Hunting in Hawaii right????
youtu.be...

the place got overrun with wild pigs and this is how they hunt and keep their numbers under control...

they use dogs to distract the bore/pig
then come up from behind and grab the back legs and lift like you would a wheelbarrow...
then you flip it to its side using your knee to brace the animal and quickly slip a long bladed knife below the shoulder into the heart...It's all over within seconds... easy peazy... if your daring enough to give it a try... so who's up for a Luau???

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

They make it look so easy don't they DB?
Ive killed a wild hog with a knife, ( not in HI) and let me tell you.. the hog doesnt just roll over and let you kill him.
It's a struggle.. life or dinner.

Hmm That reminds me....I think I have some chops in the freezer.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Cold Steele or Mora are the only two brands to go with although I do like the Gerber hatchets and machetes..

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by gandamack2

Im personally not a fan of Cold Steel.
Some of their $100 machetes are great, but for that money or less...IMHO, better is available.
A tramontina costs about $7 and is carbon steel. They need a lil work to be a nice blade, but they are choppers, made to clear brush.

Their lower priced stuff from Col Steel is made of mystery steel..."CS" type steel...their own name.

Mora's are good cheap knives.
They have a good heat treat, even on the 440c blades, and a noce carbon steel is available for about the same price on every model.
But you get what you pay for with Mora.
a $25 Mora knife is just that. a nice $25 knife.

Here's some thought that are totally mine, and may even be wrong,.....but when looking at kives, (Stainless) if it says 420, or even just 440, it's cheap steel. It wont hold an edge.

440C is good with the right heat treat, but costs more.
If it's 440c, the maker will proudly say so.

High carbon steels 1050,etc...( not stainless) are better blade steels IMHO, but harder to sharpen and require some maintenence.

Tool steels are tougher, tend to be more brittle, and harder to sharpen, but you can get them scary sharp with some effort.

may times it's more about the heat treating process used, than the steel itself.

Eventually, maybe I'll post a thread on knife steels etc.
It's alot more complex than I can explain in a single post.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Carbon V blades,for about 35 bucks,can be parkerized,which takes care of any rust problems....I had both my Cold Steel units coated....'nuff said

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
"CV" is simply Chrome Vanadium steel.
It's 1095 steel with a little nickle ,chrome and a trace of vanadium added.

This is what all the old case knives were made of.\
It's 0170-6 cutlery steel developed by Sharon Steel in the mid 1950's.
They held the patent for yesr and after they closed in 1988, and after that no one remade it due to the patents.
eventually case and cammilus found a company that would duplicaste the steel for knife blades, and they made a hot lot( 100,000lbs).

Western, Case and cammilus used it for a time.. now CS uses it for some of their knives.

It's good steel with the right heat treat.

I personally don't like parkerized blades. I oil mine regularly, so no need for finishes or stainless for me.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

To each his own...when my carbon 5 Trailmaster came I took one look at it and sent it for parkerizing....I prefer it...same for my old style Carbon 5 ATC kukri,the one they dont make anymore....Carbon V is NOT CV...two different animals

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join