It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Less educated Americans turning their backs on religion

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Or is it a case of people seeing it as yet another form of population control just my opinion

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

Here are few articles about scientists who believe, some are dated though. I don’t trust science until it has been proven to be conclusive. Many times what was presented as the end all, be all and scientifically proven gets turned on its head ten years later. A lot like religion. So ya can have both as long you have a open mind. (I know you do, that's not a attack).

Organized religion is a tool…and I intend to use it to hammer down a job.

atheismexposed.tripod.com...

ncse.com...

www.biblequery.org...

And you are absolutely correct, we all need to look to the future, but we must remember our past as well. Lots of lessons there that we ignore at our own peril.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
A lot of (financially challenged) people.....do not attend church...because they have to work on Sunday..... and a lot of them worship at home with friends and family. You don't need to go to a particular church or church building in order to connect with God.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
reply to post by JesusLives

Okay.........I'm really listening to this

Name one Educated person that believes in god, like scientists for example.......oh wait. You can't. Some people are Atheists because they paid attention to science lessons. I'm one of them.

Actually, quite a few scientists are theists and a number are members of organized religion (Hindu, Christian, Islam, Buddhist.) They're not fundamentalists and literalists, but a number of them are believers.

I *think* the figure is about 30% but that's just a vague memory.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy
Source

The study also shows that Americans with higher incomes attend religious services more often, and those who have experienced unemployment at some point over the past 10 years attend less often. In addition, the study finds that those who are married (especially if they have children), those who hold more conservative views toward premarital sex, and those who lost their virginity later than their peers, attend religious services more frequently.

The higher educated tend to earn more income and vice versa. Meaning the article title is not necessarily spot on. I believe it's mostly have something to do with income level rather than the level of education. When you have higher income you tend to have a more positive view on life hence more incline to stay in worship if you already are religious. But the rocky times might give you a different or new perspective and people might be disappointed or dissatisfied with their religion during that time.

I'm suspicious of the study but from an entirely weird perspective -- that of the 'super wicked problem.' I've been blogging about that topic lately, and the question of "who attends religious services?" is not a simple one and not even simple to describe. For instance, is a Wiccan circle considered a "religious service"? Are they considering Wicca a religion? Who is this "highly educated" group that they're studying, and how many are there? How did they confirm the education level?

While I do believe that economics may have an impact on the attendance of formal churches, I'm not sure about how it affects "storefront churches" or "home churches" -- those thousands of little denominations that have a handful of followers.

So they've got a simple answer -- but I think it's too simple and too pat to apply broadly.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The overall decline in church attendance is due to a number of factors - societal pressures, realising that a relationship with God can be personal, jobs, church scandals....you name it. But I doubt that it relates to a marked decrease in the percentage of people who believe in God. In a time of many deceptions and lies being spread regarding religion, more and more people will just worship in their homes. Absolute criminally insane that our world is getting to the point that people are applauded for publically worshipping ETs/Aliens yet get blasted by sheer ignorant parrots for preferring to worship our Heavenly Father and Son, Jesus Christ.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I've always known the rich were idiots.
I've seen amazing happen by the poor.
The greatest game designer i know, is poor, he has the same amount of money i do, the smartest guy i know is also poor who has the same amount of money i do.
The poor are smarter.
The system tho, is corrupt.
And religion is just a fairytale.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Or it could be the feminist take over of both the educational system and the Church's. If you can make it through public college/University tolerating a preachers man-bashing should be a breeze.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

this article is funny, im pretty sure its the intelligent people that are getting out of religion and as you said your economic situation has more of an impact on these kind fo things then education

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Remind me never to send my daughter to the University of Virginia. Epic fail on their part.

They are basing their study on the assumption that the reasons people drop out of the educational system and not go to college are the same reasons why people don't attend church anymore. They are saying there is a connection between the two, and started their study from that. Where that connection is, is beyond me.

The basis for their study was flawed, therefore the study and the results of the study as well are flawed.

Who pays those people?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join