It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Less educated Americans turning their backs on religion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Source

While religious service attendance has decreased for all white Americans since the early 1970s, the rate of decline has been more than twice as high for those without college degrees compared to those who graduated from college, according to new research to be presented at the 106th Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association.

Here's the reason.

The study also shows that Americans with higher incomes attend religious services more often, and those who have experienced unemployment at some point over the past 10 years attend less often. In addition, the study finds that those who are married (especially if they have children), those who hold more conservative views toward premarital sex, and those who lost their virginity later than their peers, attend religious services more frequently.

The higher educated tend to earn more income and vice versa. Meaning the article title is not necessarily spot on. I believe it's mostly have something to do with income level rather than the level of education. When you have higher income you tend to have a more positive view on life hence more incline to stay in worship if you already are religious. But the rocky times might give you a different or new perspective and people might be disappointed or dissatisfied with their religion during that time.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Unless and until you turn your back on religion you will never see Jesus. Jesus did not turn his back on religion he turned to face it and confront it with its own hypocracy. Jesus stands at the door and he is knocking. It is time to turn your heart toward him. Humble yourself. Confess your sinful nature. Ask God to forgive you.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
The higher educated keep going to church for "networking" to keep making money.

The poor and jobless....church ain't going to help you and them passing a plate when you don't have coin in yer pocket....might as well stay away.

People turned away from Churches when churches turned away from people.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

The uneducated continue going to church.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Well good for them! Maybe that way they will get their inspiration from another source and not one that tells them to believe in bull...t!

Maybe they are now realising that the God crap has been used for centuries to controlm and manipulate the masses or should I say the poor!

Believe and rely on yourself and just maybe you might get on or get a brake!

Treat people the way you would like to be treated and just maybe you might get on!

Believe in the self but dont forget they neighbour, but dont believe is anything that is used to control you or the masses!

PS: Thats a lot of people that traditionally looked upon the church s..t for comfort but it never delivered jack!!!

Now people are looking back at 3 generations of prayer yet no progress for that family!!

Waking up comes to mind!!!!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by JesusLives

Yes my friend. It amazes me how so much of the world hates God. Yet God is not the cause of the worlds problems. It's like hating people for what their Govts. do..

Thank for the thread and thank you for your post!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
If they don't go to church..... I say, they are much smarter than we think.

Hmm, I wonder what George Carlin's Education level was?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I think many are missing the point here. Since the study points higher education and earnings amongst church attendees, it seems to me that they are also networking and making new contacts amongst themselves.

If you are not part of the clique, you will be ignored.

I believe in God, just not organized religion. And have just joined a church due to their success rate of finding jobs for their congregation. A man has to eat and I see it as a tool to make a better life for myself.
edit on 22-8-2011 by TDawgRex because: Need...more...coffee.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Less educated lol,i think you'll find that smart people are the ones that see through religion and it's you that's the uneducated one

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoguePhilosopher

Well good for them! Maybe that way they will get their inspiration from another source and not one that tells them to believe in bull...t!

Maybe they are now realising that the God crap has been used for centuries to controlm and manipulate the masses or should I say the poor!

Believe and rely on yourself and just maybe you might get on or get a brake!

Treat people the way you would like to be treated and just maybe you might get on!

Believe in the self but dont forget they neighbour, but dont believe is anything that is used to control you or the masses!

PS: Thats a lot of people that traditionally looked upon the church s..t for comfort but it never delivered jack!!!

Now people are looking back at 3 generations of prayer yet no progress for that family!!

Waking up comes to mind!!!!

Maybe it's that entitlement mentality at play here. Why should the church help who refuse to help themselves?

Looking back on 3 generations of welfare, yet no progress for that family?

I know to many people who have left poverty, oft times with a churches help. But they all say the same thing. You have to cut off all ties to those who enable you to get money/rewards for nothing. It just keeps you down in the long run.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

Hate? I wouldn't use that word. It's hard to hate something that you don't believe in.

Sorry for the short 1-liner, but I felt that pretty much summed up what I wanted to say.
edit on 8/22/2011 by digitalbluco because: added in after believe

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by JesusLives

Okay.........I'm really listening to this

Name one Educated person that believes in god, like scientists for example.......oh wait. You can't. Some people are Atheists because they paid attention to science lessons. I'm one of them.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

Isaac Newton...

He questioned God, but did believe.

I think that people go to church moreso to network than worship. Kind of hypocritical really. But if it helps me to find a job, I'm all for it.

And yes, I do feel like a hypocrit...but only to a degree. Like I said before, I see at as a tool.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I get what they're saying. But i dont think it is an education thing. I did not graduate highschool, because to be honest, public school is a pile of BS in my eyes. I have a college degree, i make a decent amount of money for being 23. I believe in a higher power, god. But not in an organized religion.

I make my own way, Believe in what i want to believe in. The importance of the self, the inner god. We are all god and god is also no one.

I have no issues with the people who believe in god, or which religion people are a part of. But education and knowledge/wisdom are completely seperate

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
A church has many benefits outside of religion.

I'm sure the same would be true of any group of people who regularly attend community services.

It's a means to mingle and form strong bonds.

Nothing to do with zombiejesus.
edit on 22-8-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by Heartisblack

Isaac Newton...

He questioned God, but did believe.

I think that people go to church moreso to network than worship. Kind of hypocritical really. But if it helps me to find a job, I'm all for it.

And yes, I do feel like a hypocrit...but only to a degree. Like I said before, I see at as a tool.

I'm talking about in this world, you can't name any. Get out of the past and look at the future.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

It used to be that when people hit rocky times or hardships was when they became religious. I don't know what to think of this study? I jsut don't understand why anybody has to go to any place on a certain day just to pray.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Uh, I think it's reverse.I'm very educated and I have turned my back on organized religion. Organized religion is a spiritual farce. It has kept us from discovering TRUE spiritual connection with the SOURCE for many millenia.

edit on 22-8-2011 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

More educated people turn their backs on religion than uneducated do. ACTUALLY the less educated, the higher chance of being RELIGIOUS..

Many "Atheists" actually used ot be christians zealously wanting to "know the bible inside and out", researched the bible, Along with Who wrote it, why, when, Who edited it, why and when, etc...

And then realized "my God, this is comepletely and totally NOT only incomplete, but also plagarized from writings MUCH older. And, many books which should have been included (and were at some point) were taken out BY MEN. Who happened to choose to use religion for selfish, greedy personal gain."

The examples are endless.. Only an UNEDUCATED or mentally deficient person could believe any one religion..

How about people learn about each religion, see the SIMILARITIES and then choose??

Why don't people look into:

1. Councils of Nicea (plural, there was more than one)
2. Council of Trent
3. Who King James (version of bible) was..how he was a tyrant and the people who were chosen to write it were fearful of their lives and had to edit, censor, embilish, exclude, change, etc... the book IN ORDER TO APPEASE the desire of the King. which wanted to be worshipped Like a GOD..

Why don't religious people learn that "Jesus" was a made up Name. The Bible tells such.. yahweh/yahovah/yeshua... jesus is an inside slanderous JOKE... Je (jew) sus (pig, yes sus means pig)...

Also "the lamb" refers to a constellation!!!!!!!!!!

Moses means MUSA!!! "Moses" wrote Genesis based upon his knowledge of EGYPTIAN beliefs!!!! Gilgamesh's writings are all over it..

Go to the backwoods hicks in any state, they are Grossly uneducated, and the majority are religious.. Go to any metropolitan or College Town and you will discover less people are religious.. AND MORE EDUCATED...

the religious people are showing the DENIAL and ANGER signs and this OP has displayed an example..

The whole title of the thread is laughable at best...

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

here is an excellent example with bright colors, pictures and all.. for the less educated...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join