It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The long term effects of File-sharing on capitalism.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I am of the opinon that file-sharing will lead to a change in our economy.

File-sharing is making the protectionist tendencies in our economic system more and more obvious, allthough they have been there scince the days of columbus. But now more and more people are saying copyright shmopyright. Its binging up ideas like common land (a legal concept in england tied with the idea of squatting) again, and this is only to our benefit and to the detriment of big buisiness money grabbers.

The birth of Muti-media and desk top publishing, is like the invention of the Gutemberg-printing press, it brings publishing into your living room and onto your desk. And just like the printingpress ushered in the era of reformation, this new medium will change our "religion of capital".
Downloading MP3s is like downloading communism!

[edit on 20/8/2004 by Corinthas]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 05:41 AM
link   
im not sure about the rest of the world but i heard down here in australia they are thinking of just putting a small tax on blank cds that goes to record companies. that way they get some money for the illegal content all over the place. the only problem is the people that payed for the files or people that don't use cds for that purpose.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 06:40 AM
link   
File-sharing is the best thing thats ever happened. Like Guttenbergs printing press invented all over again.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 06:42 AM
link   
i agree with your idea and I do believe that file sharing is the way to liberate the music and movie industries from the capitalists and put it back in the hands of the people and the artists.

Most artists really don't mind if people download their songs because they want them to hear it and they know that most of the money they make goes straight to the vaults of the record company.

However, the capitalists are realising the potential of file sharing as the ultimate cashless marketplace the potential is huge if they can force and/or scare people into using their systems. This can be seen with the success of i-tunes and the success of the file sharing witch hunt campaign the RIAA did very publicly to scare the liberated masses back to paying them money.

I feel that file sharing has given me freedom and anyone who uses it freedom. The majority benefits. But the only problem with it is that the i file sharing community has advanced past capitalism while the real world hasnt and the people who create the music, movies and files lose their livelihood.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
I feel that file sharing has given me freedom and anyone who uses it freedom. The majority benefits. But the only problem with it is that the i file sharing community has advanced past capitalism while the real world hasnt and the people who create the music, movies and files lose their livelihood.

thanks,
drfunk

How does file sharing give you freedom? That's akin to saying that an unattended Brinks money delivery truck with the doors wide open makes you rich.
Although you are correct, the people who create lose their livelyhood. I just produced a CD and introduced it into the market without the "help" of a record company. I would like to see a return on my investments but thanks to P2Ps I can make a pretty good bet that I'll sell 10 of them before the entire work appears online for "free". For all those who rationalize their actions by thinking something like "well the record companies screw the artists anyway so it's okay if I screw them" fail to realize that there are "Ma & Pa" type operations such as myself in existence who get screwed just as well. Thanks to file sharing, not only can the distributors and retailers screw people like me, but now the consumers get a chance as well.
Quite simply, "file sharing" is stealing. There is no rationalization someone can make to get around this point. Those that do make those rationalizations are people who have never attempted to create and market something that can be converted to a digital format and made available to the public at large. P2Ps are likely going to lead to increased CD/DVD pricing and the Wal-Mart-ization of entertainment, along with squeezing the smaller operations out of the market completely.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
its your music, you should be able to distribute it freely just as long as your not making money off of it. screw capitolisim. there, i said it.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
But this is not even talking about downloading mp3s but file-sharing in general. This includes music, movies, games, images, documents, and especially information. In the matter of free speech it is wonderful. For the first time, we have access to more knowledge than ever before. Instantaneously. From the capitalist perspective however, we are making nearly identical copies of a product people might or might not have otherwise paid for. If it is availible for free, why pay large amounts of money for it. Because it is against the law. People are paranoid, and for most people the law is the biggest detterent. If file -sharing of copywrited works was completely legal, then there would be no reason not to just recieve the products for free. I'm no accountant, but if software, music, and movies were free, and identical to the commercial version, I have a feeling the companies would lose quite a lot of money. Then there is the select group of people for whom the deterent is purely moral and the large group who do not know how to efficiently take advantage of the software. But I didn't have enough sleep, and I just realized that I zoned out and am still writing this.. So I will leave it at this for now.... good night.

oh and ps.. I'm all for the file-sharing movement.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
artists will lose any creative motivation if they know they wont make any money. do you see any creativity in the industry today? the ultra weatlhy artists today suck! they have very little talent, lack of vocal skills, and sing songs composed and writen by someone else. they had it coming. the digital revolution has created a world where we can share the things we love . the only people who will find this as a bad thing are the greedy money hungry capitolist demons!!! perhaps if the artist know they will not make any money delivering an image based ill motivated product they will strive to produce songs that overflow with pure creative talent. it will be sold to the radio $$$, d/led for free by all of us, then when the artist comes to town we will all go see them at the concert $$$. nowadays it seems like having a profitable name is more important then actual talent, celebraties make lots of money from endorsments, there is no better way to get your name out to the people then through file sharing. there is money to be made by file sharing, show advertisments in the movie tv show files. all in all i think the media industrys greed is finaly coming to bite them!

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Some time in the future capitalism (which is in lots of cases monopolism) is going to die a sorry death, so we might as well help it...

new topics

top topics

join