It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAF buy 14 Chinooks...£1,000,000,000

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
While people are suffering from huge cut backs the government has decided we need to waste another £1,000,000,000 on helicopters.

www.bbc.co.uk...

The RAF is to receive 14 new Chinook helicopters in a £1bn contract, the Ministry of Defence has said. The deal, with US firm Boeing, will bring the total force of Chinooks to 60 - the biggest capability in Europe.

So we cant afford to house and feed our people, we cant afford to care for them in hospitals, we cant give people operations they need, we cant do a lot of things, because our money/taxes are yet again being wasted on warfare.

I swear our government want us to go to downing street and beat them senseless lol

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Oh but they can afford to send money overseas, to countries which are corrupt. Cut that first and then moan about the RAF buying Chinook Helicopters. Besides that money they are spending could keep soldiers jobs. Or be used to upgrade soldier barracks which are in a desolate state.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I don't think the full amount will just be on 14 air frames. That amount will go towards to a full service package which includes parts etc.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Kreeger

Still a waste of money when our taxes are supposed to benefit us....the subjects

This is supposed to be a democracy, not a dictatorship.

War is not their first priority....we are.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem

Oh but they can afford to send money overseas, to countries which are corrupt. Cut that first and then moan about the RAF buying Chinook Helicopters. Besides that money they are spending could keep soldiers jobs. Or be used to upgrade soldier barracks which are in a desolate state.

Theres a huge amount of waste by our government....i was just highlighting this as its a big chunk of cash yet again being taken from the people to fight silly/pointless/illegal/not our problem wars.

Theres plenty of other ways to spend this money....there are many sectors, including the troops protective gear which it could be spent on.

I dont like war....i dont think anyone does, yet a large proportion of our taxes go to fund it.
If there were a poll to see if people are happy with the multiple billions wasted on wars, the majority of people would find other places to spend it and not want to contribute to death and destruction.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
Still a waste of money when our taxes are supposed to benefit us....the subjects

How does buying helicopters translate to the UK becoming a dictatorship? It doesn't.

One of the goals of any government is to protect its citizens. This is why the UK has armed forces. Whether you agree / disagree with Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya, the fact remains the UK needs an armed capability to deal with threats to sovereignty and threats to national interest – either direct or indirect.

Not sure war is the UK government’s first priority. Trying to equip the UK’s armed forces effectively should always be a priority.

Regards

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Well the UK is a warring nation after all. It has never been a peaceful country,
As I said before, stop the Overseas Aid Budget, that would save loads of cash, cut trident theres another couple of billion saved.
edit on 22-8-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

One of the goals of any government is to protect its citizens. This is why the UK has armed forces. Whether you agree / disagree with Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya, the fact remains the UK needs an armed capability to deal with threats to sovereignty and threats to national interest – either direct or indirect.

Not sure war is the UK government’s first priority. Trying to equip the UK’s armed forces effectively should always be a priority.

Regards

Yep we need a force to protect our homeland, we dont need to be dragged into wars by NATO and the USA.

How does buying helicopters translate to the UK becoming a dictatorship? It doesn't.

When you have no control over what goes on its a dictatorship.

A government controlled by one person, or a small group of people. In this form of government the power rests entirely on the person or group of people, and can be obtained by force or by inheritance. The dictator(s) may also take away much of its peoples' freedom.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Oh, and here was me thinking we were broke and forced implementing austerity measures!!!

I WANT TO SEE THE PROOF OF THE ALLEGED DEBTS OF THE BANKS AND THE GOVERMENT!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Well the UK is a warring nation after all. It has never been a peaceful country,
As I said before, stop the Overseas Aid Budget, that would save loads of cash, cut trident theres another couple of billion saved.
edit on 22-8-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

By cutting overseas aid we would do the countries a favour, because like all their doublespeak they call it aid but it is in fact blackmail.

Take away the right of the private banking cartel known, misleadingly, as the Bank of England, to issue currency and return it to the Treasury where it belongs.

Stop wars of plunder and extortion.

And we will be in much better shape.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
This is mental!!!
How can they need another 14 helicopters to take the total to 60 when there are FAR more important issues that need funding???

Global financial meldown my AR$€ !!!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
They can always find money for war lol, even if comes off the tables of struggling families.

They obviously have there priorities in the wrong order....your own people first, then do what you can with whats left over.

Makes me sick, everytime i read the news we are throwing cash at other countries, war, expenses, holidays for top brass (£15000 for 2 weeks away head of MOD)

One minute we are skint the next we give Pakistan £650m to build more fake schools, £1,000,000,000 on choppers, millions of pounds art....seriously it makes my blood boil knowing that these people we are supposed to trust are shafting us big time to help out their buddies and their own families....

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

would not mind so much but why did they tick matt black finish and running light delete on the options form?lol
wouldnt mind either if the bloody things were a bit less "crashy",hell of a history of terrain/fuselage interaction
ex forces myself and been in many helis loved a wee ride in a lynx or puma or even ancient wessex but always
kinda pooped a bit at chinooks,especially after mull of kintyre crash

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
They obviously preceive that they are going to need them in the not to distant future!

Hope its not for use at home! But I suspect its got a lot to do with the changes in the Arab world!

They want to be ready to support the coming battles.

Israel cannot and will not allow Iran to get the nuke delivery capability. So the clock is ticking and everybody knows it!!

Remember the words of Almaninadjad. He stated to a global audience "Israel should be wiped of the face of the earth"!

There you have it!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
More than likely these will be coming well down the road.

Buying Chinooks, a design that is older than any pilot that will man them is probably not the true deal.

One would think that they would be buying the white elephant of a disaster craft called the Ospray or other large capacity, standard 'copters..

If any or all of those were passed up, then for myself, I must conclude that money is not going for the half-a-century old chinooks but for a few--definintely not 14--of the secret triangles or similar null-mass craft. Just one of those could make up for 14 Chinooks. And that price tag would be about right.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
All you Brits blaming the EU, this is your own Government wasting your money.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The UK will NOT be forking out 1,000,000 for the Chinooks.

The US Military Budget has part of it used to loan other countries money to buy our military crap.

And England will only pay payments on those helicopters under that Foreign Military Sales Program. At the rate the US dollar is losing value, the UK will likely end up only paying 200,000£ for the Chinooks. There is always a clause in those deals that England can sell those Chinooks back to the US....and they'd end up getting more money back than they paid.

Maybe that's the plan.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Maybe we need the choppers to loot all of Libya's gold LOL

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Theres a huge amount of waste by our government....i was just highlighting this as its a big chunk of cash yet again being taken from the people to fight silly/pointless/illegal/not our problem wars.

Theres plenty of other ways to spend this money....there are many sectors, including the troops protective gear which it could be spent on.

This is true, but I must add that the Labour government is responsible for underfunding the military, yet at the same time demanded the military stretch itself for their political objectives. Yes, that's right - those pesky Labour are to blame again.

£1bn is nothing, And if we need them, we need them.

I may be blinkered but I'm inclined to believe that Labour liked to delay the difficult decisions so the following Tory govt would have to take them. And this is another example, exactly what we have here.
edit on 22/8/2011 by DSSONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
The UK will NOT be forking out 1,000,000 for the Chinooks.

The US Military Budget has part of it used to loan other countries money to buy our military crap.

And England will only pay payments on those helicopters under that Foreign Military Sales Program. At the rate the US dollar is losing value, the UK will likely end up only paying 200,000£ for the Chinooks. There is always a clause in those deals that England can sell those Chinooks back to the US....and they'd end up getting more money back than they paid.

Maybe that's the plan.

Or maybe that is just wishful thinking on your part.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join