It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jack Layton dies after struggle with cancer

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
Hey...In Canada, he represented the alternative!
May those big boots of his serve as inspiration to some of those very small people in Parliament.

Quoted for Truth

fking ridiculous how he managed to accomplish the impossible and make the NDP the opposing party... and he gets cancer (again) and dies less than a month after being diagnosed... It's a sad day for sure. This one stings a bit more for me with my mother battling cancer currently having the honour and privilege of seeing and speaking to him on more than one occassion. He really was for the people...

I never thought I would ever cry over the death of a politician.

"Courage my friends, it's never too late to change the world"
edit on 22-8-2011 by Nastradamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
R.I.P., Mr Layton. You were one of a kind.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by hhcore
You were one of a kind.

NO HE WASN'T. His life goal was to remind us ALL of how good we can actually be... you just have to have the courage to stand up for what's right in this world and do it in a constructive, proactive manner. Not a destructive, rioting route.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Rest in Peace Jack. A loss for all Canadians and those of us that fight cancer. His letter to Canadians was a heartfelt poignant piece of writing to share.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Too bad....theres always soemone else to step up....in a few years no one will even rememebr who he was....if you stick your finger in water and pull it out....thats how much of a hole YOU leave behind when you deplane

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by enament
Care to elaborate on what of his politics stink. And what an absurd statement " they are not a political party to be taken seriously anyways" What kind of comment is that? They just kicked the Liberals ass in the last election and are in second place as the official opposition.. I think they are being taken seriously but too bad it was only Jack that got them there.

Well the numbers were there for him to become opposition leader I won't question that. Personally I think it was more general apathy and utter disgust with the voting public plus a large influence on very young voters. The liberals were seen as a colossal failure and continue to be. Their leadership under Ignatieff was pathetic, and the Bloc, not even worth mentioning. Layton appealed to many because as usual in politics the perception was that nothing better existed. That could be argued on many levels but doesn't matter now. Layton had a tax everything approach and spend spend spend. That, in my opinion, could present worse problems.

I recall an incident from the 80's as well where it was alleged (possibly proven not sure) that he lived in subsidized housing whilst he and his other half drew six figure salaries. Not the type of image to expect given what he stood for.

He seemed down to earth on a personal level and a genuine individual. His death is sad but I'd never look at the NDP for political direction. As you've stated his passing will likely make the ndp nosedive.

brill

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Sad, and no matter whether you agreed with his politics, you have to admit that Canada's lost a great instigator of political discussion, discourse, and debate; both on Parliament Hill and on a national scale. The loss of such a person is tragic: every responsible government needs to have someone asking the tough questions.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

I can respect that opinion. Jack was unproven as a Prim Minister and its too bad we will never find out what kind of leader he really could have been.Jack may have seemed like he would spend spend spend but he did want to tax the rich and corporations more and redistribute the wealth.

I often think about how Obama was thought to be the savior of the US that didn't turn out so well for them. Yes jack had some big ideas too bad we will never find out what kind of PM he could have been. Jack Layton was Stephen Harper's biggest thorn in his side.Will we ever find another thorn like Jack..

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Nastradamus

Canada is slowly and inexorably losing all our politicians of heart. None to vote for now but the slick guys. We'll miss you Jack.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nastradamus

Originally posted by hhcore
You were one of a kind.

NO HE WASN'T. His life goal was to remind us ALL of how good we can actually be... you just have to have the courage to stand up for what's right in this world and do it in a constructive, proactive manner. Not a destructive, rioting route.

Oh, my bad. My mistake. He was just the same as all the other politicians we have up here. Many apologies.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

Thats too bad he didnt know the cure for cancer is already here. He should have researched online how to cure it naturally with herbs, detox, vitamin b17, chlorella etc.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Jack Layton made me believe in voting and democracy again. I had the pleasure of attending a NDP rally this year during the election and I'm glad I did. I got a chance to see and meet Jack first hand. He was an inspiration to youth and to "the little guy". Sad day for Canada.

His tombstone should read "Still a better choice than Harper"

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seektruthalways1
reply to post by GoalPoster

Thats too bad he didnt know the cure for cancer is already here. He should have researched online how to cure it naturally with herbs, detox, vitamin b17, chlorella etc.

No...too bad he didn't discover his prostate cancer while it could still be successfully treated. Please don't presume that you have the answers because you read it on the net...and this is neither the time nor the place for that discussion.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by enament
reply to post by brill

I can respect that opinion. Jack was unproven as a Prim Minister and its too bad we will never find out what kind of leader he really could have been.Jack may have seemed like he would spend spend spend but he did want to tax the rich and corporations more and redistribute the wealth.

I often think about how Obama was thought to be the savior of the US that didn't turn out so well for them. Yes jack had some big ideas too bad we will never find out what kind of PM he could have been. Jack Layton was Stephen Harper's biggest thorn in his side.Will we ever find another thorn like Jack..

That's a good comparison, really good actually. He may have been unproven on the grand platform but he certainly worked his way up I'll give him that. 95% of voters wants wealth redistribution and all politicians will sell that belief. Honestly I don't think, and we'll never know, if he would have accomplished that goal. Its ambitious and unfortunately counters how this crappy world works at times. Ron Paul is another example.

Thanks for your post.

brill

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I certainly regret missing my opportunity to meet him last year.

I must admit that I've advocated for a new leader for the NDP to better represent the youth... But I cannot say that he did not already try to carry out his dignified view. He was a great Canadian

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I had the pleasure of meeting Jack Layton back in 2007. I was working at TELUS and was actively picketing as we were locked out. We were invited to join the New democrats for a BBQ at Heritage Park. He took the time to speak with each one of us who were picketing. He was a very warm and caring man, who stood by his word and principles.

I am very saddened today, Canada has suffered a huge loss.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Cancer is a horrible thing the ruins many lives. The fact that Jack Layton spewed a final letter revolving around politics alone and his former NDP party shows how bad of a politician he was. As a Canadian I felt somewhat offended an opposition leader would play dirty politics on his death bad to set up the NDP for another fail the next time federal elections come around.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmore08
Cancer is a horrible thing the ruins many lives. The fact that Jack Layton spewed a final letter revolving around politics alone and his former NDP party shows how bad of a politician he was. As a Canadian I felt somewhat offended an opposition leader would play dirty politics on his death bad to set up the NDP for another fail the next time federal elections come around.

I think that's an exceptionally jaundiced view, and it's a pity that you can't put aside your own partisanship for just a moment. Dirty tricks? Is it a dirty trick to encourage Canadians to aspire for something better, and to offer a means to do so? Even on his death bed?

...And finally, to all Canadians: Canada is a great country, one of the hopes of the world. We can be a better one - a country of greater equality, justice, and opportunity. We can build a prosperous economy and a society that shares its benefits more fairly. We can look after our seniors. We can offer better futures for our children. We can do our part to save the world's environment. We can restore our good name in the world. We can do all of these things because we finally have a party system at the national level where there are real choices; where your vote matters; where working for change can actually bring about change. In the months and years to come, New Democrats will put a compelling new alternative to you. My colleagues in our party are an impressive, committed team. Give them a careful hearing; consider the alternatives; and consider that we can be a better, fairer, more equal country by working together. Don't let them tell you it can't be done.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world.
All my very best, Jack Layton www.cbc.ca...

...and what have You done for us, lately?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Yeah it's a shame you cut out the entire first 5 minutes of the letter and decided to go to "and finally." Why don't you include the part of the NDP's so call epic wins. Lol. I do more for this country in a day than frankly you have done your entire life.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmore08
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Yeah it's a shame you cut out the entire first 5 minutes of the letter and decided to go to "and finally." Why don't you include the part of the NDP's so call epic wins. Lol. I do more for this country in a day than frankly you have done your entire life.

I provided the final paragraph...last words to the Nation...and the link. I'm not sure I'd call that obfuscation. And I'm delighted that you have provided such good service to our land. And on this very day, too, and it's only half finshed! Perhaps you could start a thread to discuss your many accomplishments, but this ain't it.
Have an Orange Crush.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join