It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Seven Children From Texas Left Begging For Change In Africa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Three girls and four boys (ages 8 to 16) who were abandoned by their American mother were found begging for small change to buy food. After proving their American citizenship to a missionary by singing "The Star-Spangled Banner", the U.S. authorities were eventually notified.

The Assiciated Press
A Nigerian welfare official said local authorities first learned about the children only a few weeks ago, and immediately took them into custody and turned them over to the government orphanage.

By then, they were skinny, mosquito-bitten and suffering from malnutrition, malaria and typhoid, officials and other people said.

"Three of them were sick. They could not walk," said a 23-year-old who gave his name as Alex and is a former ward of the orphanage now living there as a student. "They looked tired. They'd been sick for long, without food."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Sadly enough, this is not the first time a thing like this has happened. No more than about a month ago, a Swedish child were found after being abandoned by his mother in Africa, having to steal for food. Allegedly he met quite a few other kids from all over Europe, having the same thing happen to them.

[edit on 20-8-2004 by Durden]

[edit on 8-20-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Durden,

I'm sorry, but this account does not go along with what has been reported for several days. (nothing against you...just the source you reference seems to be at odds with EVERYBODY else reporting on this) hmmm....

That's interesting.

Because of this, I'm going to move this to a discussion thread and I will go find the other accounts.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Here is what I have found so far at the Houston Chronicle (I believe they are the first to report on this a couple of days back). I still haven't found all of what I have read yet, though. Apparently, a missionary from the U.S. found these kids IN the orphanage half-starved to death. He heard their American accent English and started questioning them. He returned to the states and informed authorities who picked up the case. Now, in the source you reference, it sounds as though the orphanage is trying to say they just recently found the kids half-starved and "saved" them...but that appears, from all other accounts, to not be the case. Apparently the mom went on to Iraq to work as a contract worker...and then didnt' send any funds back to Africa for the support of the chidlren, OR the relative she was sending it to just kept it...who knows who's telling the truth. There was also a CPS claim filed against the mom before she left the states.

I'll look for more on this:

www.chron.com...

www.chron.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Strange. This is what BBC News reports:

The children were reportedly found living in a wooden shack by Nigerian social services, having been discharged by the school for the non-payment of tuition fees.

They were taken to an orphanage in late July, where they were discovered by a visiting minister from a San Antonio church who overheard them speaking with American accents.

Source

[edit on 20-8-2004 by Durden]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Well MAMA done it this time she must have been partying real hard to slap up and leave the kids in a forign country (she be's keepin it real for those kids theys going back to their roots too bad for that *****! they survived the ordeal and a experience like that is'nt soon forgotten but knowing our legal system in the USA see won't be prosecuted for child abandonment because she did'nt do it here. Oh well it's all hugs and kisses and press releases and a visit from social services. But mark this down you ***** ***** *** you are going to hell

[edit on 20-8-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by pantheria
Well MAMA done it this time she must have been partying real hard to slap up and leave the kids in a forign country (she be's keepin it real for those kids theys going back to their roots too bad for that bitch! they survived the ordeal and a experience like that is'nt soon forgotten but knowing our legal system in the USA see won't be prosecuted for child abandonment because she did'nt do it here. Oh well it's all hugs and kisses and press releases and a visit from social services. But mark this down you stupid [OFFENSIVE CONTENT REMOVED] you are going to hell

You sound like you'd make a great klansman.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
These parents need to be located, publicly tarred and feathered like the days of old and then forced to spend the rest of their days disposing of used diapers. I'd even be willing to go as far as offering the same fate for those who run that orphanage. I hate to say it, but maybe we do need some kind of "divine" smack-down lol.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
[edit on 10/2/2004 by esther]

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by esther
I'm a mother and all I can say is .... WTF?!?!

esther

As a father all I can saw is WTF?????? Its appaling, I hope she spends the rest of her days in jail!

top topics

join