It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Definition of a troll.......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted". While the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels subjective, with trolling describing intentionally provocative actions outside of an online context. For example, mass media uses troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families.

So thats the definition according to Wikipedia.

A lot of people are called this including myself, but people use the word not knowing what it means! No surprise there really

If someone disagrees they are labeled a troll....despite it being completely WRONG. Which in itself is trolling as they steer from the subject at hand to throw around insults.

I am posting this rant because i have been called a troll in 2 threads today....despite adding to the OP, and questioning aspects of the OP....nothing off topic until the true trolls come in. Who takes anything on face value??

Ive noticed a LOT of the newer users throw this word around (some older users are guilty too).....they are infact the trolls as they completely derail threads, and all replies made are directed at them as they use their post to throw personal insults at the "alleged troll".

I am skeptical of a lot of things...thats just me, doesnt make me a troll.

If i can explain something then i will, why not post the truth??

Ive explained/debunked a number of threads today, gave logical advice, and have used credible sources to back up my claims, yet im still a troll apparently....just because they dont like what im saying.

So lets get this straight....a troll is someone who comes to a thread to derail it, a troll is someone whos only intentions is to derail a thread, a troll is someone who posts off topic posts.

THATS IT!!! Your not a troll if you can provide evidence that the op is wrong, misinformed, or just outright lying.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

I cop that as well. That is life on ATS. I just give it back to them. I really find it funny that so many on here think they are open minded, tolerant and enlightened but yet if someone does not agree with the conspiracy theorists opinion they are trolls, shills and sheeple etc. Talk about funny! Bahahahah! I hear what you are saying OP and agree 100%

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Well, I am politically incorrect, I question things and I refuse to believe everything I hear.....does that make me a troll? I only ask because is seems like a great deal of people here think so.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleak

Yup....thats their definition of a troll im afraid.

You have to go into a thread and just go with the flow....dont bother using your knowledge or experience....tis trolling lol

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

Yep, I'll have to agree with you, and OP's message. You disagree with a person, and you are abused, called closed-minded, and other things.. Especially with religious threads. That's what is wrong with ATS these days. I remember coming here for around a week back in 2007, everyone seemed respectful. But now, what in the world happened? D:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

You get my vote. I've got tired of asking for evidence to backup claims people post. Seems to me the only evidence people have these days is the fertile paranoid imagination inside their heads.

Maybe we can invent a new term for those posting claims with no evidence "Fertiles".

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

i've noticed a trend here mostly on conspiracy & the far-out ideas threads that if one does not go right along with the general consensus and eat what they're trying to feed you, whooomph! out comes the troll label. it's laughable really. the point of discussion / debate is to examine points of view from many angles, sides and opinions. those that are willing to play the devil's advocate lend more to a thread than a half-dozen yes-men.

my 2 cents: when someone makes a stupid or insulting remark in a thread they deserve to be called out on it. same goes for attention whores. i realize the tone this site promotes is a friendly happy family style buffet. hello! families argue, and family members are supposed to be honest with each other, or call out another on a statement if need be. that isn't trolling, it's calling it as you see it.

don't feel bad though, no one is immune. ruffling a few feathers every once in a while is part of life.

i'm not sure if i agree with your statement about older people. unless someone is saying to you what their age is, or it is obvious from claims they remember where they were when they heard JFK was shot, that type of thing. i've noticed some people use age-related insults, it's similar to the silly cliche sports coach types that call a boys team "ladies". but for all we know that person may be 10 years younger than you are.

hang in there though. don't let a few peoples comments make you not participate.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

haha thanks

Theres no danger of me being deterred by these people, it just becomes annoying when 2 or 3 people in a thread all start the whole "troll" bs.

It hard to get back on topic, because, naturally you have to reply and fight your corner...but thats also called trolling apparently lol.

Ive got thick skin, it doesnt relly bother me it just frustrates me sometimes.

Ive been on here for a fair while...ive always contributed to threads i feel i can add to....every now and then i will go into a thread that im not that clued up on and give an opinion....its just that though...an opinion.

If i see something that is ludicrous i will point it out......i wont go into any details but there are numerous threads on here that are clearly hoaxes/lies but the paranoid/delusional/unwilling to listen take these threads over and anyone with an opposing view is a troll.....again lol.

I take it all with a pinch of salt to be honest

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
So lets get this straight....a troll is someone who comes to a thread to derail it, a troll is someone whos only intentions is to derail a thread, a troll is someone who posts off topic posts.

That and I would add someone who posts only for the reason of ticking people off even if they're on topic. Some times they don't care about the topic but just love to see how many people they can get stirred up. Mostly a troll wants attention, so if you deprive them of that by ignoring them then they usually get tired of trying.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/56d50350324b.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by malcr

You get my vote. I've got tired of asking for evidence to backup claims people post. Seems to me the only evidence people have these days is the fertile paranoid imagination inside their heads.

Maybe we can invent a new term for those posting claims with no evidence "Fertiles".

Asking for sources seems to be a stall tactic sometimes. Most posters are not paid for their work. Most "sources" just point to somebody elses opinion anyway. Usually a hack.

edit on 22-8-2011 by yourmamaknows because: spelring

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmamaknows

Apparently im a paid disinfo agent LOL....i just go along with it now haha "yea im a disinfo agent, i can only spend a few hours on these boards as i have to spread disinfo far and wide"

I bloody wish!!! If only i were paid

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
it doesn't matter what anyone calls anyone around here

don't you know that its all a game?
which part do you play?
are you what they call you?

by the way, you spelled "you're" wrong

all rhetorical

Peace.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

THATS IT!!! Your not a troll if you can provide evidence that the op is wrong, misinformed, or just outright lying.

You don't get it. To call you a name (troll) is the only way they can fight back. It is a flanking attack since they cannot directly confront or explain your position to what they have themselves set in stone (electrons). If your posts are decent as you say, you have won the contest and they have lost. Then, smile and move on.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Star for you sir !!

Indeed people are quick to jump the gun on name calling, and the wrong use of it. My opinion of the ," Classic Troll"
Is when some one comes into the thread , stating insults and lies as if the op is a total idiot to not agree !
Then......and heres where I think Trolling comes into play some one asks said troll to back up their ridiculous claim with a source or a fact. NOPE ! most the time a true troll wont even answer but continues insults, denials and stupidities!!! Also a troll could never ,ever, ever admit.....well maybe I could be wrong

Huge difference between civil disagreements and trolling.

Not so much difference between troll , narrow mindedness, stupidity, ego. megalomania,low self esteeem, etc!!!

So in closing.............This is the stupiest damn thread I have ever wasted my time on! Only complete idiots would even bother to take the time to read this drivel ! OP your obviously stupid to think this way. All you guys need to look up your facts. Nobody got a clue here. Why dont you all go vote for Ron Paul and throw away your freedoms and That Obama and only him have given you worthless magpies !

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Been reading/lurking on ATS for a couple of years,and finally started posting yesterday..not sure why,but whatever. So I post in a thread called "Where have all the real women gone" or some such. It's going pretty well,then someone pops in and says that all women are whores if they don't have god in their lives. I'm like WTF?! Natch,I responded,and so far,nothing back from them..

The trick to trolling in my opinion is to address the antagonist,then end your post with a segway back to the topic.

It's worked for me for a very long time and has saved alot of threads in the end. Most of what I post is purely my opinion based on knowledge and experience I have,and it is designed to make people think outside their little boxes. Does that make me a Troll?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Come on guys...enoughs enough stop trolling my thread with your lame, closed minded opinions

...some dude in a Taxi just pulled up and tooted his horn....i think hes following me, wherever i go in london i see these black cabs. They just change disguises but cant disguise their cockney accent.

OH MY....inbetween typing that a ufo landed in my garden and i mated with half a dozen alien chicks
Im off to Nibiru for a few months, im hitching a ride back on Elenin, i have to get back soon because i dont want to lose the Arc of the Covenant...i hid it under my bed, im soooooo AWESOME!

Sorry i have no evidence for any of that but praise me, im far betterer than you silly douchbags.

top topics

join