It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABUSE CRISIS: Doctors Involved in Abu Ghraib Torture

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 04:00 AM
link   
U.S. Military doctors have collaborated with soldiers in torturing detainees in Iraq, according to the medical journal The Lancet. Such activites are a gross violation of medical ethics, and the author argued for a non-military investigation by the medical community into the extent of medical involvement in these abuses.

story.news.yahoo.com

In a scathing analysis of the behavior of military doctors, nurses and medics, University of Minnesota professor Steven Miles calls for a reform of military medicine and an official investigation into the role played by physicians and other medical staff in the torture scandal.

He cites evidence that doctors or medics falsified death certificates to cover up homicides, hid evidence of beatings and revived a prisoner so he could be further tortured. No reports of abuses were initiated by medical personnel until the official investigation into Abu Ghraib began, he found.

"The medical system collaborated with designing and implementing psychologically and physically coercive interrogations," Miles said in this week's edition of Lancet. "Army officials stated that a physician and a psychiatrist helped design, approve and monitor interrogations at Abu Ghraib."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I guess it goes to show that war brings out the worst in everybody. I hope these doctors are subject to the most severe professional censures available.

-koji K.

[edit on 8-20-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
At the very least. As a health care professional I am appaled that members of my own field would cover up critical incidents like this. I am also appaled by the whitewash of the responsability for this debacle

new topics

join