It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get Ready for < $2.00 Gas

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
If you want to save money you have to do it yourself. My 2006 GM conversion van now gets nearly 30mpg but nobody believes me. 33 gallon tank gets me over 700 miles in normal driving and about 1000 on the highway

I heard that. My 1990 Chevy G-20 has an HHO reactor setup I made and installed, and it gets near 40 mpg, but no one believes me either. I have just stopped telling folks about it, I figure if they like those high prices, so be it.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

reply to post by mikellmikell

I wish that you and mikellmikell would give those of us who ARE interested an idea of how you increased your mileage so drastically! Please? My hubs is a mechanic and we would be very happy to try anything to get these results! We have a '98 Chevy Blazer whose MPG has decreased greatly and I would be willing to try anything to improve it!! Thanks in advance!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Like Kevin Costner said "dry land is a myth" and so is any future gas less than $2 a gallon. When oil shot up to $140 a barrel a few years back, gas barely touched $4 a gallon here in Michigan. It's pretty much hovered above $3.40 ever since, even with oil at $85 a barrel.

IMO even if oil drops to $40 a barrel gas wont go below $2.75. Too much money to be made by oil companies and they have lots of government to buy off. Don't forget about inflation thanks to the FED.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by leemachino

You are exactly right! It makes no difference what price a barrel of oil is anymore. They will charge "what the market will bear" and we have proven that no matter what the price, we will still fill 'er up and drive where we gotta go!

Obviously this market will bear the price of gasoline regardless of cost......

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
What kills me is I live in Oklahoma we used to be called the oil capitol of the world in the 70's we produce over 90% of our own oil here and refine 100% of our gas in state. Though our prices are always among the cheapest in the country we still are paying 3.32 a gallon as of yesterday, I have a 1995 kia with hho system I bought online with out the air conditioner on i get 52 mgp with it on about 37 mpg but still gas should be like 2.00 here no matter what opec does we produce our own oil and gas no shipping over seas for it, most of our oil comes within 100 miles of the refiners u would think this saving would trickle down but it doesn't. my tribe is talking about building a refinery. American Indian gas with no government tax would be nice..

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries

Originally posted by EvanB
Its $10.30 a gallon here in England.

Count yourself lucky.

EvanB i've been told most of Europe has excellent mass transit systems of varied type that enable people to get around quite well without owning their own motor vehicle. Is this true or I am being mislead?

In my area of the USA there is very little public transportation. Very few job opportunities as well. Most people here travel an hour or more each way to work and back by motor vehicle.

What I find odd in my area is the amount of really large vehicles. The largest portions of vehicles I see driving by are either SUV's or full size pick up trucks, probably with V8 engines and 4WD. One would think gas is still $1.50 a gallon around here. I don't know how people afford it or why they do it.

There is good transport links but even they are getting very expensive. There are also many areas that have no transport links so a car is a neccessity (rural).

If I was to get on a train to london from birmingham which is around an hours travelling time, it would cost me $245 US, which imo is outrageous and unaffordable.

We could have the best transport links in the world (we dont) but we are being outpriced out of using them

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
It might creep down a little bit, but not for the reason you state. It's become a election tool in the last few years. It will drop right before the election, and climb again afterward. Along those lines, I think its artificially inflated right now, only because the elections are a still a year out. A barrel of crude right now $80'ish, yet we are paying $3.59 in my area. If this were the nineties, we would be around $1.79-$2.00.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mentorman
Remember when Gas was less than $2.00 per gallon? Yeah, you remember, before George Bush went in Iraq and stabilized the flow of oil. Well, now that these Middle-Eastern countries are falling (Libya the latest) OPEC has no chance of keeping a grip on the oil flow. Watch, we'll be paying less than $2.00 per gallon in less than 6 months. This will loosen up money in the consumers' pockets. The economy will start to rock. Now you won't hear the talking heads on the news saying this. But this is what is going to happen.

Actually, I remember paying less than 2$ a gallon until Hurrucane Katrina. THAT is when it went up drastically and never came back down. Well after the Iraq invasion.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by jennybee35
reply to post by autowrench

reply to post by mikellmikell

I wish that you and mikellmikell would give those of us who ARE interested an idea of how you increased your mileage so drastically! Please? My hubs is a mechanic and we would be very happy to try anything to get these results! We have a '98 Chevy Blazer whose MPG has decreased greatly and I would be willing to try anything to improve it!! Thanks in advance!

I'll second that. How about a thread with what you have done to achieve this mileage as well as discussing what does not work and scams. There is so much out there and some plans look profoundly dangerous, others simply dubious, others though look very promising. It would be good to hear from other ATS'ers what you have done.

I think you will find a more receptive audience here by the way. Remember the people who don't believe it is possible to get better mileage are also likely to get all their news from CNN, FOX et al, and also believe if they are not covering it it is not a story.

Think of the incandescent light bulb they want to ban, it is over 90% efficient,,,,,,,,,at producing heat, not so efficient at producing light though.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Sorry to burst your bubble OP

Gas only goes down...

Before an election to get the county hyped up over 'good things comin down the bend' before they dump a corp owned turd in office.

or

When the common garage inventors can't take the extra cost anymore and start tinkiring with alternate fuel sources.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Originally posted by EvanB
Its $10.30 a gallon here in England.

Count yourself lucky.

Around $7 here in Australia,,

Guys, that is fooking criminal

Unfooking believable!!!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Mentorman

Speculators set the prices of commodities such as oil, not OPEC. You need to see a doctor, like, now.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Exactly, and add in the cost of government sponsored ethanol in the mix and expect the price of gasoline to actually go up. The price of a barrel of oil has little to do with what you pay at the pump.

Political instability anywhere in the world is good enough reason to raise gas prices, or hurricanes, famines, even rumors of strife anywhere is a reason to raise the prices of commodities.

Expect food prices to increase dramatically in the next few months as diesel fuel raises and the cost of transporting food is passed along to the consumer.

And let's not forget about our wars that use enormous amounts of fuel keeping the prices up thru the bogus reasons of "supply and demand" the speculators use to manipulate prices.

edit on 22-8-2011 by whaaa because: 5j5 code

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
i think this post is delusional. gas prices are where they are because that is where the corporations want them, nothing else. i dont believe that oil is scarce, running out, etc... i also do not believe oil is a fossil fuel but a natural process of the earth and the friction and all the chemical processes that take place within the earth. i do believe the earth produces in a day more than we could use up in 100 years.

there was a piece on oil not being a fossil fuel and that the rockefellors and a couple other very rich people at the turn of the first century started a propaganda to say all oil was a fossil fuel and to have th science books say as much. was a colonel from then who talked about it on tape. a point he made that i cant discreditis: look ay how deep they drill for oil. most fossils of anything are found way closer to the earths surface than where the oil is drilled for. i mean 30,000ft for oil versus a man digging a basement and finding a complete fossil of say a dino or anything. happens somewhat frequently.

imho

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join